Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sarcasm is the best Medicine (Palinsa)

SW-Fans.Net Poster

Has been a member for 5 years or longer

AKA
    Geoffrey

Complete Sarcasm is the best Medicine (Palinsa)

"And you expect me to do what with her exactly?"

"Show her the ropes. She's green. Very green. Hammer her into something with value."

"But why Corellia? This is a warzone."

"What better a place to test the mettle of a new warrior than war? I hope there will be no real objections."

"No, of course not. I will see to her."

"And Sturkov, she better not die while she's there. I will find out if you kill her."

---

The Imperial Coronet Headquarters was a constant buzz of activity. Soldiers coming in the front door to deliver reports, and officers running all around trying to put together intel, communicate with their legions, and otherwise facilitate the massive war effort that was mobilizing across the surface Corellia, and it's system beyond. Every day more supplies and soldiers arrived. Like feeding a giant, the Imperial war machine was growing bigger and stronger with the hopes of finally crushing the persistent rebellion.

All efforts to repair the city were grinding to a halt as Imperial forces were constantly ambushed and assassinated in the fields. The rebellion was forcing their hands, making them fire back. Forcing them to search the city home to home until the rebellion, like a cancer, was found and rooted out. They hid in plain clothes, waiting for a moment of weakness to strike. Cowards. They grew in power alongside the Empire. They recruited more to their cause every day, and no doubt have help from outside the system from the Alliance and others. There were others in the streets. Dangerous forces that wanted only chaos.

And now, despite all those incredible obstacles and dangers, she had a green recruit to babysit. Atrapes was punishing her. He must be. First he sent her to this horrible planet to wage an unwinnable war, was constantly calling Vissica back to the Core, and now was saddling her with a runt. It was infuriating. More so because Atrapes knew that she would try to get the runt killed one way or another. She wouldn't do it herself, but she was not beyond tossing her into a foxhole full of enemy combatants. Now she was stuck with the rookie, and there was no way out but to swallow the pill she had been given.

The landing pad on top of the Headquarters was large enough to permit a Lambda. The rooftop had been reinforced, was surrounded by sandbag and durasteel barriers, and had snipers and watchmen on constant watch. The Empress forbid an enemy sniper get in a position to threaten them. The day that happened was the day this war was lost. Standing at the edge of the pad, arms crossed against her black armor and blue robes, Imperial Knight Alexia Sturkov waited for her charge to arrive.

Her boot tapped impatiently.
    Last edited by Alexia Sturkov; Mar 16th, 2019 at 07:01:42 PM.

Palinsa sighed as the ship touched down and she rose. Straightening her new uniform and making sure her hair was perfectly in place, the braided coif secured to her head with enough practice she could get in a major scuffle and it wouldn't fallout or become something the opponent could grab, the woman straightened her shoulders and headed out.

She stepped to the door and headed down the steps as her eyes adjusted to the planet's natural light versus the ship's artificial illumination she had dealt with the last several days.

She glanced with sapphire blue eyes around her new surroundings. The red hair framing her pale features seemed to be set afire from the sun as she stepped onto the platform top and glanced for the woman she was to meet. As the new Knight's eyes met Alexia's, she knew she wasn't any more welcome here as she was desirous of being here. She had hoped to be trained back where things weren't so chaotic.

But Alexia was her new mentor and, like it or not, she was here till the powers that be chose otherwise. She just wanted to learn really quickly how to stay on her new teacher's good side and make the stay here a learning experience she benefited from, even if she didn't make a friend while doing it.

She stopped before the Knight and nodded. “I'm Palinsa Donar. I am here to report to Alexia Sturkov.” She would read the initial 'knee jerk' mental thought Alexia had eeing her, but nothing more. And if Alexia shielded, Palinsa wouldn't even read that much.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

AKA
    Geoffrey
    Like a powerful bird of prey, the Lambda landing craft came soaring from the sky. It stopped in the air above the platform and descended to it's deck as it's wings folded back. Months ago Alexia had arrived in a similar fashion, although it had been with Vissica at her side.

Without the Selonian warrior she could not help but feel alone and vulnerable, like her breastplate had been torn away leaving her open to attack. Vissica commanded respect through her acts of heroism and fear from the might of her blade. They saw Alexia has a hackface witch with no reputation other than the complete destruction of every battlefield she ever set foot on. They did not respect or fear her, instead they plotted against her and kept their eyes on her lest she destroy them with a flick of her hand. Perhaps this rookie would be the opportunity to finally carve out a new reputation. She was the Knight in Command now. It was time to act like it.

The landing gear touched down, and with it the loading ramp extended and the hull opened wide to permit the fresh faced Imperial Knight exit. Alexia tightened up, nodding her head toward the other redhead. She looked unremarkable, and timid. Not unexpected. Someone as new as she was to the Imperial Knights had no reason to be comfortable here in a warzone. Perhaps in another place, somewhere safer and more comfortable, she would be more at ease. She would get no such treatment. Coronet had no luxuries left. This was war.

"Cadet Donar. I am Knight Sturkov." A fist was raised and pressed to her chest and her head nodding forward into a minimalist bow. As she made the movement, she felt something brush against her conscience. A weak, shaking hand that accomplish nothing except to rub against the barriers that protected her mind from intrusion. It had been some time since she had felt such a influence. Vissica had no need for such. Her defenses had grown weak from lack of use, but were immediately restored to full strength before the probe could get far. A gifted telepath herself, Alexia was tempted to return the offer, but held back. There was a code to uphold.

"While I understand the curiosity to pry more than most, please refrain from using your powers on your fellow Knights, Cadet. Some would accept that as an act of aggression and reply in kind. Others carry burdens and secrets that could corrupt you. Not all Knights were born into the Truth. Some had to be forced to see it. Come." She gestured across the rooftop and turned away. She walked slow enough for the Cadet to fall into line at her side. "I'm afraid I was only just briefed of your arrival, and no further details were given. If you would, please tell me the extent of your training so far."

Palinsa nodded and smiled politely as the Knight introduced herself. But when the reprimand came for the mind touch, the Cadet bit her lip and shook her head slightly. “Forgive me, it is habit and not intentional. I've always just heard the initial thoughts of people. But you...” For a second the girl's head tilted slightly like a curious bird and her eyes furrowed a little. She didn't probe but her eyes looked seriously at Alexia as if suddenly seeing her for the first time.

“How did you do that?” She asked with the curiosity of a child and the seriousness of someone who wanted a real answer. “I have always heard others thoughts whether I wanted to or not. Yet you... it was as if you were on the edge of sleeping. That moment when real life ceases to run through your mind yet dreams have yet to begin. I've never felt that in someone awake.”

She righted her head and shook herself a moment as if clearing cobwebs. “Forgive me, Knight Sturkov. I didn't mean to begin our meeting with such a terrible impression. I will try harder to keep my senses turned inward when I am around you.” And she added, “And other Knights. Unless you tell me otherwise.” She knew there would be a time someone would ask her to do what she did as natural as breathing. But to be honest, at this moment, forcing herself to remain inwardly turned was actually a nice change.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

AKA
    Geoffrey
    Nearing the edge of the rooftop, Alexia traded a glance to one of the Imperial Troopers stationed at the edge. Not just some Army peon, but a tried and true Stormtrooper, sniper rifle cradled in his arms. He met her gaze, his plastoid face impassive, and nodded his helmet. The coast was clear. For now. Stepping up to the edge Alexia tucked her arms behind her back and clasped her hands together. Beyond them was the city of Coronet. A bustling metropolis befit for a planet sitting on the crossroads of the Corellian Run and Corellian Trade Spine. If you could not see the entire swath of the city that was a crumbling ruin, and the parts of the crashed Star Destroyer sticking from the earth like a mountain, you would have a hard time imaging that this planet was so embroiled in a civil war.

"One of the important things you will learn during your force training is how to defend against it. The force is often employed as a sword, but it can also be a shield. No doubt you will learn that first hand from Knight Vale, who specializes in the defensive arts. The mind can be as much a weapon as your body. However, it is just as vulnerable. It is easy to become lax when you only deal with the forceless. Another force user could attack your mind, either slipping inside silently and stealing your thoughts, or forcing themselves in and scorching your synapses to ash. We must be ever vigilant. As Knights of her Imperial Majesty, The Empress, we are often in possession of vital information that would be disastrous if it fell into the enemy hands. As the vanguard of the Imperial war machine and the Empress' greatest soldiers we are often the target of the enemy. The rebels here, and the Alliance beyond, would love nothing more than to capture or kill us. There are other forces out there as well that are coming for us. As I said, we must stay vigilant. I can show you how to guard your mind and hone your telepathy, when you are ready."

"Tell me, what do you think of this city?"

Palinsa had seen the Imperial white soldiers in her travels. But in her mind she admitted it hadn't been this up close and personal. The closeness took none of its foreboding away. Sometimes seeing something in detail could remove it from the category of ghostly or awe-like. But in this case, it merely added to it. Being able to see the detail of the weapons, gear and stillness of the white killer up close gave it more solidity in her mind. It was, indeed, a formidable character.

Stepping to the edge to stand beside her Knight mentor, Palinsa felt no fear of the height or distance they were above the ravaged city. In fact, if she squinted her eyes just so, the detritus strewn and occupied city looked almost normal, except of course for the large star destroyer still protruding from her heart.

She listened sharply as Alexia told her about learning to guard her thoughts. To not allow things like passive scanning become her undoing. She understood the need to protect the thoughts and knowledge she would soon have tucked away in the molten mass of her skull, but it eluded her how she would do it.

When her guide mentioned those who would want to capture them, the Cadet Knight frowned and looked at their attire. “Doesn't wearing the uniform so brazenly mark us as targets then? Would it not be better to blend in with the populace rather than scream who we were to those others who had blended in for the purpose of stalking us?” She didn't mention that she had no idea what other forces the woman eluded to.

As Alexia offered to teach her to shield, a breath and tension inside her she wasn't aware of, uncurled itself and released a small, barely audible sigh of relief. If there was a way to keep everyone's thoughts from invading her mind whenever she heard conversations, it would be worth whatever headaches and pains she had to endure. A never ending cycle of needles behind her eyes would be prefereable to listening to the cacophany of ever mind battering at her skull. “I would like that lesson at your soonest convenience, Knight.” She admitted the desire with enough inflection that, if she were listening, the Knight would know it was something that, till now, the newcomer hadn't even thought possible.

When the question of her opinion of the city was asked for, Palinsa took a half step forward, setting her booted feet a few scant breaths from the edge of the building. With her eyes half shaded and unfocused, it was beautiful. Streets and buildings laid out as if there were purpose in it. And the aching spire in the middle could almost be dismissed as a taller cluster of buildings like the castle clusters of Naboo.

But then she focused. She saw the debris, the rubble, the fact that those buildings closest to the nose downship were not just destroyed but obliterated. She saw rubble and chaos, a myriad of scurrying people who seemed less like citizens of a city, and more like the scurrying workers of a slaver world. “If chaos had beauty, I imagine this is how it would look. But I only see despair and ruin. Was it truly beautiful, once? Or is that my mind wishing more from this ruin than what I see?”

She tilted her head once more, like the curious bird she was often compared to, and really looked. “I see pain, despair and hope. But I also see treachery and defiance.” She glanced over her shoulder at Alexia to see her reaction to her words. “How do we find them? Those we are meant to root out, I mean. Surely they don't wear their colors as brazenly as we do.” She knew they wouldn't, but other than walking the streets letting the mental voices bombard her, she could think of no other way besides waiting for something amiss to happen. Her question held no attitude, it was sincere. She didn't bother with sarcasm when a lesson could be learned from a query. There was no point. And here, there was no time.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

AKA
    Geoffrey
    "Before I was a Knight of the Imperial Throne I was an Inquisitor in it's waning days. We did not wear uniforms in the field. We skulked and stabbed at the enemy from the dark, and because of it we were feared. Not just by the enemy, but by everyone. Even our own citizens feared the Inquisition. They were afraid that anyone on the street could be one and that their simplest infraction could cause us to sneak into their homes at night and force screws under their fingernails. There is a reason the Inquisition was disbanded. It fed on fear and produced only distrust.

As Imperials Knights we are so much more than just soldiers, Cadet. We are symbols of not just the Empress' will but also as guardians of the realm. We wear our uniforms proudly so that our citizens might see us and be made to feel safe. If we hide what we are, and hide in the shadows, than we are no better than our enemies who do the same. If we fall than we will die knowing that we stuck our virtues and our unwavering loyalty will live on in our fellow Knights and the citizens we have inspired. When I first arrived on Corellia alongside the formidable Knight Vissica, we took to the street immediately to bolster morale. We did not drive straight into the enemy. There is more to a war than inflicting casualties."

It was so strange to hear these words coming from her own mouth. Usually she was sarcastic to a fault, but she was also never the senior Knight. While she had been a Knight for longer than most of the others, Alexia could not help but feel inferior before the likes of Vissica and Palara, who seemed to resemble the image of the Imperial Knight so much more than Alexia. They were strong and supportive, brave and relentless. Alexia was often made second fiddle to another Knight. Her power was undeniable, but The Knight General still did not trust her entirely. Her past was a curse that would follow her forever and always poison how others viewed her. That was fine. She didn't need their approval to be a good soldier. Being a good Knight was an entirely different challenge that she still strove to grasp.

"The city was beautiful, and most if it still is. The Destroyer fell into the Industrial sector. Casualties were very low considering. A lot of factories and businesses were destroyed. Historical sites. Entire families gone. The crew of the Destroyer did not fare much better. A thousand lives scarred, mangled, or lost. And yet was continue on. Massive projects to restore the city and remove the destroyer are ongoing. Production is halted constantly by the threat of attack. The so called Corellian Resistance is cruel and merciless. They care not who they attack as long as Imperial soldiers are among the casualties. They destroy their own homes and kill their fellow citizens in the act. Do not be deceived. They are terrorists using a feud with the Empire to act out their violent and sociopathic tendencies. We must stop them before they destroy the city, and the rest of the planet beyond.

Rooting them out is very difficult. They have an impressive network already with many independent cells. You find one and you are no closer to the next. The intricacy of the network implies outside help. The Alliance, no doubt. Too subtle to be the Sons of Coruscant or criminal organizations. Another benefit of our uniforms, brazen as you say, is that they will come for us eventually. That can be guaranteed. When they do will will strike back harder, take prisoners, and interrogate them until they give up their cause or secrets; whichever cracks first. Vigilance, Cadet Donar. We will win this war eventually. It is inevitable.

Have you received any Lightsabre training?"

Listening to her mentor explain the reason for the uniforms, it made sense. A formidable presence was often as good a deterrent, if not better, than the mere thread of law enforcement. “I understand the need to let the populace know there are people on their side out here. I can imagine a time like this is uneasy for everyone. And of course, in uniform, the enemy also is aware there are probably twice as many of us as they can count. Surely there are soldiers in plain clothes along with those of us in uniform and the obvious military presence.” It would make sense to pad the visual numbers with those in local garb. Sometimes too big of an obvious presence could be a bad thing as well.

She watched the city as Alexia spoke, imagining how it used to look. She also could nearly picture it being rebuilt stone by stone till it was nothing but a memory of what was now. Would generations down the line think of this time as a long tail? Something made up to make their grandparents feel superior?

Polinsa shook herself from the thought as Alexia asked about the saber. “I was given one with my uniforms and several of us spent a day in basic training with the saber, hand to hand and weapons training. I am fair enough with it not to hack off my own limb. But against a formidable enemy, I have not the confidence to say I wouldn't need help.” She hated admitting weakness, but if she didn't tell the truth this time, her lie may cost others their lives. And the thought of losing her mentor the first time in the field had absolutely no appeal to the young Cadet. “I am fairly good at small pistol shooting if I have a moment to sight. And I am capable enough to hold my own in most hand to hand situations, or even with a small blade at my hand. It was one of the few things I was good at before being recruited.”

Against Alexia or another seasoned Knight she wasn't sure how she would do. But amongst her peers in the group on training day, she had definitely been far above the average.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

AKA
    Geoffrey
    "Good."

It was all she said for a moment. Her green eyes continued to scan the city below. She liked to imagine that from up here she would be able to spot would be traitors and rebels. They were simply too high to see anything with any clarity without the augmentation of binoculars or a scope. Chances are there was someone out there, in one of the neighboring windows or rooftops, who was looking back at them without their knowledge. Someone with a comm to their mouth whispering that another Imperial Knight had arrived. Alexia hoped that was the case. It would strike fear in their hearts.

"I would hope that the Knight General would not send someone defenseless to the heart of a war. Stay alert and you may just survive until tomorrow."

A light hearted smile crested her face, but only for a moment before it disappeared. Turning from the edge she lead the way to the roof access. A turbolift shot them straight down, past a hundred floors of Imperial Operations, down to the ground floor and the city street beyond. The lobby of the Headquarters was an insane bustle as bodies moved in and out, side to side. Everyone was busy. Everyone had a purpose. And yet, even with their mind focused and eyes ahead they managed to notice the Imperial Knights enter, and stepped aside to allow the blue robed figures to pass through. Hands hanging at her sides, empty and grasping, Alexia slipped through the opening with Palinsa on her heels.

The street beyond was reinforced with barriers, sandbags, and numerous soldiers on patrol. The Green-gray uniforms of the Imperial Army intermingled with the emotionless purity of the Stormtrooper white. As she stepped out of the doorway a few such Stormtroopers detached themselves from where they had been lounging around the building and fell in step. A single squad that seemed no different than the others except for the black falcons adorning their shoulder paldrons. Beneath layers of polish could be seen the scars of battle. Their weapons were in good repair but worn around the edges. Some had notches or markings on the sides to indicate kill counts. The counts were high.

"The Raven Guard is my personal attachment." Alexia explained as the troopers fanned out around them without so much as a word of instruction. Some took point, others guarded the sides, and a few kept a watchful eye on the rear. One in particular kept his eyes up, checking windows and rooftops. Their weapons were shouldered and their walk tall. However, it was clear they were tense. Ready for action at the first sign of danger. "They have been briefed of your arrival. They will listen to your orders should I be absent, incapacitated, or dead. Should that ever happen your mission is to return to HQ as quickly as possible. Your life is inherently more valuable than most others in the Imperium. Although you are not fully trained yet, in time you will achieve your full potential and become one of the greatest forces in the Empress' arsenal. For none other can repel the threat of the Jedi and the Sith as greatly as us."

"There is one such Jedi reported here on Corellia. Knight Vissica encountered him a month ago, and further reports suggest he has been helping the rebels. There is also a Sith cultist on the loose. We had him in chains but he escaped. He is a sneaky bastard. Don't trust anything he says. He's as ruthless as he is cunning.

Are you feeling overwhelmed, Cadet?"

Palinsa watched the woman as she stared at the city below them. There was a difference to this woman that made Palinsa realize, perhaps for the first time, that her lifereally had changed. “And if I survive till tomorrow, would you be unpleased?” She laughed softly to ease the comment. She was not casting rude jibes at her new Master, merely trying to assess with conversation what she was so used to summoning at a whim. But while her own shields were so forcefully slammed down that the tension was almost palatable, she also knew that the Knight guarded her own thoughts as well. It suited Palinsa just fine, as long as she didn't have to shield like this forever. “And here I thought you were growing fond of me.” She laughed and followed the Knight to the lift.

As they went down and headed outside,the guard falling in merely peaked the Cadet's interest. At the explanation, she nodded. “I am used to the guards of those I …helped. I am aware of such formation and if you will kindly tell me whose boots I am to keep in sight if something happens, I give my word I will not hinder or get in the way.” She didn't think it pertinent to those around her to know what she is or used to do. If Alexia told them, then that was up to her. But on her own, the fewer who knew, in her mind, anyway, the better.

As she also heard that the guards would see to her orders if Alexia wasn't able to give them, for one reason or another, she nodded. It was a good thing. Nothing like the Commander laying bleeding to death and no one being willing to fetch help cause he couldn't give the order. But as the Knight went on to say she was a valuable asset, and her life wasn't worth risking, something in her tugged hard. “If it doesn't mean leaving you behind when you can be saved as well, I will do as you command, Ma'am.” She replied. If there was even a slim chance of Alexia being removed from whatever rhetorical situation they were discussing, Palinsa knew she would risk the wrath of her mentor to see it done. She braced herself for the argument but hurriedly changed the subject to hopefully avoid it.

“Hmmm,” the Cadet mused as her new Master told her of the Jedi here helping the Rebellion. “You say Knight Vissica encountered him? Was it an acknowledgment of one another, or did the white robed one somehow escape?” Realizing it might be misconstrued, she quickly added. “I am curious to know if subterfuge and wily ways were used and he escaped, thus meaning we must keep a better eye on him when we catch him next. Or was it a chance meeting meaning we truly aren't sure of his capabilities yet when cornered or captured?” And as she heard about the Sith, it didn't surprise her. Sith were unpredictable. Because the Code they followed was one of their own making, and twisted for convenience, t least in her eyes, it was often a contradiction of actions and words when they were involved. The fact he was Sith, ruthless, and cunning, seemed almost a redundant statement. Though when it came to the Sith, nothing was beyond them, so the reminder was nothing to scoff at. “I will remember, Knight.” She nodded.

As the voice of Alexia came once more to her ear and asked if she was overwhelmed yet, she shook her head. “The planet is new to me. And I am sure getting to know it will be no small task. But the life it seems I will live is no different than the one I have always lived. The difference is that now my employer is someone TRULY worthy of serving. She is no war monger seeking to best his enemy, nor a merchant looking to line his pockets. So while I will have many thing to learn,” she smiled without adding AND UNLEARN, “I know that it will be worth every headache and scar I receive. I look forward to it.”

While many who listened may consider it prideful, her remarks, to her it was merely spoken as a statement of fact. She had been doing this job, protecting and acting for the betterment of, a client, for many years now. The difference this time was her client was the Imperial Empress. And that made all the difference in the galaxy.
    Last edited by Palinsa Donar; Nov 21st, 2016 at 07:48:20 PM.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

AKA
    Geoffrey
    "We encountered both in the same day. I had existing knowledge of the Sith and his cult. We allowed him to exist so that we could interrogate him for information when the time was right. It was him who facilitated the encounter with the Jedi, but he did so in the form of a joke; giving us two potential locations for the Jedi to arrive at, thus forcing Vissica and myself to split our forces and rush to those locations. Mine was the decoy and Vissica encountered the Jedi alone. After a lengthy duel that destroyed a steelyard the Jedi ran and disappeared into the city. While we were gone the Sith and his cult managed to overthrow the two squads of Stormtroopers we left to handle his incarceration. an almost complete failure, but we did gather valuable intel. We know there is a Jedi and a Sith running amok on the planet. Without that knowledge they may have been able to stage a surprise attack."

As they walked their path encountered fewer and fewer uniformed soldiers. Defenses and reinforced checkpoints became more scarce. Ahead of them, between the buildings, the skyline disappeared abruptly. They were headed for the Scar; the ruins left behind in the Star Destroyer's fall. From windows and doorways regular people watched. All sorts, some dirty and others lavishly adorned. All kinds made up this city, and the disaster that had fallen upon them had forced them to band together like family. It was the only way survive calamity. Social lines blurred and broke as they all struggled to get by. They were as much afraid of the Empire as they were of the Rebels. It could be their business that gets blown up today. Their homes that get caught in the crossfire. Their relatives that gets their family dragged from their warm beds in the middle of the night and executed in the streets for unknowingly harboring a Rebel.

"Your mission is, as always, to defend the Imperium and carry out the Empress' will. How you choose to interpret the law is for you to decide. I am not one to tell you how to think. I would recommend that if I should be incapacitated or killed that you immediately retreat and comm the Knight General for new orders. He would agree with me, my life is not worth the dozens of casualties it may take to rescue me from enemy hands. In the end I suggest you follow your own heart and decide what is the best course of action. We have almost infinite freedom of action. The Imperial Knights report to no one but the Knight General and the Empress. However, that is no excuse to fall into hubris or abuse our power. Imperial Knights have fallen before, and when that happens it is your brother and sister Knights that come for your head.

Don't be fooled. It is not as dark and terrifying as I make it out to be. Your brother and sister Knights will be there to help you along the way. We have great paragons of the Order to draw inspiration from. Knights like Atrapes, Vissica, and Iscandar." It hurt to say that last part. There were few in the Knights Order that Alexia despised as much as Atrapes, but Palara was a close second. The Twi'lek had been the one that captured Alexia back before she became enlightened by the truth. Her "goodness" for lack of a better turn was a constant annoyance and made Alexia's stomach churn. Vissica was the true example of a perfect Knight. Unattached, unemotional. She only existed to uphold the law and cut down those who break it. She was the one all Knights should emulate.

The street ended abruptly. A ten foot drop into a craggy maelstrom of twisted metal and stone stretched out before them. The area was full of Imperial personnel. Many stood guard while others shifted through the debris that had once been businesses, homes, and skyscrapers. They had all equally been ground down beneath the weight of the falling Destroyer and twisted into this ugly scar through the city. Nothing had survived, and it would take years to repair all the damage. It would take longer with the constant threat of attack looming at all times. It would seem the city did not want them to right the wrong they had brought on themselves.

"I wanted you to see this. This is why we are here, why we fight. During a parade flotilla one of our Star Destroyers was hit with an explosive device that knocked out it's engines, causing it to plummet to the ground. It crashed into the city and caused this swath of destruction. The rebels claimed responsibility. They blamed the Empire for occupying their world, but they threw the first stone. They killed thousands. That is why we are here, Cadet Donar. To make sure this never happens again. We will defend the people at any cost."

Palinsa listened. The idea of a Jedi and a Sith both running rampant was enough to make her frown. Were they working together by choice, or was the Force playing a hand at this?

“I will remember to not underestimate anyone, Ma'am.” She contemplated the idea of them working together as the warrior continued. As she mentioned the Jedi and Sith had plans to meet, and one had actually shown, it troubled Palinsa as much as she sensed it troubled the woman at her side. The idea of those two complete opposites having the same goal that would allow for such an alliance, no matter how short lived or tentative, didn't sit well at all in the pit of her stomach.

Alexia went on to speak of orders, missions and the Empress' will. “I will not let you down if that is what it comes to, Knight,” she nodded solemnly. While Palinsa knew she would leave Alexia behind if there was no other way, she made a silent promise to herself to see to it that, to the best of her ability, she never had to make that call. She wasn't delusional enough to think it would never happen, just hopeful that she could stave it off for a long time.

She was grateful that the mentor mentioned other Knights would have Palinsa's back as well. Sometimes elitists worked in such tight cells that no one knew of others outside their particular small cell. The fact that wasn't the case with the Knights made Palinsa feel much better. She knew, now, that if something did happen, she wouldn't have to figure it out alone. “I am glad to hear that. I thought perhaps small groups worked in autonomy. It's good to know that isn't so.”

As they reached the edge of the scar, there was no way Palinsa could catch the gasp of surprise that fell from her lips. She thought she had been prepared for the gaping hole. But there was no way to be prepared for this. “I had no idea...” The whisper was all she could manage. The devastation and destruction was beyond anything she had imagined, or could have imagined. Seeing this settled the final piece of doubt into a slot of assuredness in her mind. If she had any lingering hesitations about why she was here, this sight erased every hint of shadow that oversaw that. The scar, despite its devastation, was a crystal beacon giving her drive and purpose. She didn't realize her shoulders had squared slightly and her chin tightened in resolve. As the woman's words fell silent, Palinsa said the only thing she could think of. “I understand.” Those two words were like an oath, a promise and an understanding all rolled into one.
    Last edited by Palinsa Donar; Nov 28th, 2016 at 05:28:26 AM.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

AKA
    Geoffrey
    Alexia turned her head, saw the determination and fire in the eye of her new ward, and knew she had done the right thing to bring her here. Everyone was dragged before the scar to pay witness to the atrocity. This was the first stop for every fresh soldier deployed, and the last stop for every traitor caught. Public executions were not common, but when they happened it was here, at the edge of the horrible suffering they had inflicted on their own city, that the rebels met their end. Usually after weeks of torture and intelligence gathering.

One day she hoped to place both the Sith Priest and the Jedi Knight on the edge of the scar, force them to see the horror that their movement had caused, and then execute them right then so that their shame was the last thing they would see in this world. In a perfect world she would be allowed to drag them down in the debris and throw them through the wreckage until their bodies were broken.

"This is wh-, get down!" A glint of reflected light caught Alexia's eye as she looked over Palinsa's shoulder. Reaching out she grabbed the woman's shoulder and dropped down, pulling the woman with her. Something flashed by overhead. A blaster round, thin and deadly. Almost invisible to the naked eye. The Raven Guard turned, weapons raised, moving toward protected placements; behind debris, speeders, the remains of buildings. Whatever they could find to offer themselves protection. Alexia moved around Palinsa, standing up as she did so. The sniper was hiding, but she could feel a mind. Nestled in the remains of a building, third story. Fifty feet away. Too close for a good shot. Amateur.

Lifting her hand, Alexia summoned the full strength of her force abilities and ripped the space where the mind was and pulled everything from the building. The remains of the hollow office building shot into the open air; flimsi, file cabinets, and furniture were sucked into the air as if by vacuum. Among them was a humanoid shape, flailing in the air. Another pull separated the individual from the airborne debris field and pulled him down to the ground, where he hit and slid across the broken street to their feet. He struggled to his feet, but the Ravens were on top of him in an instant. Kicking his weapon away and wrestling him back to the ground. They bound him with stun cuffs and searched him for weapons. When they finally stoop back they revealed a human man; his hair cut short, his clothing pseudo-military. A fanatic, in other terms.

Real rebels hid themselves. This man was a hotshot. Alexia had killed many of them. Potentially a lone wolf but there was always the chance that he belonged to something greater than himself.

"An opportunity has presented itself." Alexia said at last, her heavy breathing evening out as the adrenaline started to bleed out of her system. "Keep an eye out for others." She instructed the Ravens before picking the man up with the force and moving into the shadow of the same broken building he had shot at them from. This would afford them some cover and keep prying eyes from spying. Setting the man down she pulled him up on his knee and pulled his body back, clutching his neck and shoulder. His face was one of defiance, and he had yet to speak a word. His face was bloody from the fall. Alexia could feel his mind going a mile a minute inside his head. He was not going to give up anything willingly. She could read it in his mind.

"A chance to hone your skill, Cadet Donar. An enemy combatant, captured and defiant. He will not tell us anything, will you worm? Of course not. I want you to reach into his mind, find anything that mind be of use. Think of the mind as... an onion. It has many layers, each one must be penetrated to delve deeper. At the top you have base emotions. What he's feeling. Beneath that is surface thoughts. This layer is loud and noisy, which makes it harder to delve down deeper. Even a non-force user can learn to defeat a telepath at this level with confusing thought patterns and gibberish. Beneath that you have a vault where they keep their most guarded thoughts and emotions. He's trying really hard to hide his fear, but it's not working. He also cannot help but think you are very pretty. Isn't that right worm? He hates your guts, but he is only a man. At the very bottom is memories. These are tricky and you can get lost in there. It's a maze of twists and turns that can be difficult to navigate without experience, and getting out can be just as difficult.

As you did down you must be careful. You can force your way in, but you could irreversibly damage his mind and likely gain nothing. It's a covert operation, slipping past the defenses, disarming the guards, and then getting the prize. Do not push yourself too hard. You are just beginning and we do not want to kill him or lose you inside his head. What a scrapper this worm. He actually thinks he can escape, that a headbutt would disable me and he could run. Silly boy." She laughed, a cackling thing that was nonetheless full of a joy that she had not possessed before this brush with death. His fingers tightened around his throat, pulling him against her own body so that he had no room to move. No room for heroics.

"Begin, Cadet."

Palinsa was no fool. When Alexia tookher to the ground, she went without hesitation. The weapon's firingwas a signal that set the young girl's hair on end and set the Knighton her feet between her and the shooter. With a simple quarter turnswivel on her heel, Pali was able to watch as Alexia routed out thesniper and brought him down. She watched with a tilted head incurious silent query as to how the woman was doing what she did. Sheknew of Force Users, of course, but had never been privy to the actsof them, short of healers. To see the trained precision that theKnight removed a chunk of the building, then extrapolated the manfrom the rubble and transported him to her very grasp was nothingshort of amazing in the new recruit's eyes.

When Alexia cleared then and nodded forthe woman to stand, she stood up and faced her mentor. The words anddirections filling her mind. Peel away the man till you got to theanimal. But don't get lost lest you become the same.

Palinsa began by clearing her mind. Itwas a simple exercise and she had done it a million times. And whileshe wasn't as adept at probing, she knew how to get surface thoughts.That, perhaps, was the place to start.

Stepping closer to the prisoner, hercloak pressed over her shoulders, out of his reach should he lunge,she remained on guard as she looked at him. “You find me pretty?”

*Pretty, the things I would do to you.*His thoughts rose easily. “No, you are a Knight, nothing more thananimals to be slain!” His words spat from his choked voice.

Palinsa licked her lips, ever lookingseductive as she went a bit deeper. “You are scared and won't tellme anything, will you?”

*The others, can't tell about them. *His surface thought clear, but his voice lied once more. “No, Inever will.”

“You won't tell me how close theyare, will you?” She was pressing now, her brow furrowing slightlyand she could feel the press of his own mind against hers. She wasn'tused to prying, so keeping each thought loud was a bit more difficultthat she thought. “You won't say how many there are.”

* No.. they are close. Can't... * Hesmiled and shook his head thinking he was winning. “Nope. You willnever know!” He spat at her and it landed on her lapel.

She pressed hard this time. She couldhear a million thoughts, jumbled at once. Alexia was right. It waslike trying to pick out a single voice in a crowd. “I... There arefour...”

*HA! She has no idea, there are six...amateur. * His mental laughter grated on her. It was hard to presspast it.

She smiled inside and tried to act likeshe wasn't hearing anything. “They are still very far away. He cameto scout alone.”

*Boy will she be surprised, the twooutside the alley, waiting for them... * She pressed harder but thewalls were thick. She could feel a headache starting.

“We are ….” She closed her eyesand shook her head, her breathing coming in gasps. “I can't... Ican't keep them separated, his thoughts, I mean.” She stepped backas if mere distance would ease the pain starting to build in herhead. She shook her head as if trying to silence the maniacallaughter she thought only she heard.

“There are six... very close...”She watched his reaction as she gave up his thoughts. “Two wait forus outside the alley we came in. To ambush from the buildings likehim, if he failed.” She shook her head and one hand rose to hertemple in a mild, useless attempt to stop the pounding. She had neverpressed. It was like trying to hold too many doors open at once. Eachone's weight compounded by the weight of the next. “That's all Igot.” She wasn't going to apologize, not in front of him anyway. Soshe merely let her eyes say it to Alexia.

She knew she had found some things out,but was it enough? Were the informative bits anything more thansurface thoughts that the Knight could have gotten herself? Shedaren't ask in front of the prisoner, and she wasn't confident enoughwith the Raven to speak openly in front of them, either. She wouldhave to wait till they were alone to see how she truly did.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

AKA
    Geoffrey
    Alexia turned her head, but did not take her eyes off of Palinsa. "Captain, search the alley." Half of the Raven Guard stepped away and headed down the nearby alley. Palinsa had done well for a beginner, but she had much to learn about the complexity of the sentient mind. It was an ever evolving puzzle. Even the same mind, conquered before, could be new and alien on a subsequent visit. It was a different battlefield fought with misinformation and manipulation. One wrong step could leave you or them comatose. It was brain surgery but your mind was the knife, and breaking it inside was deadly for both.

"Remember this, Cadet. You managed to find impressions and thoughts, but those can be easily manipulated to deceive. It is better to wait until you have gathered for details before making any judgement based on what you find in a mind. You could get nothing but fragments, scattered and disjointed. Like the pieces of a puzzle you may get the pieces to fit together by forcing them but you end up with the wrong picture. Sometimes the hardest obstacle is tricking ourselves into a unreal conclusion. You will only get stronger, and there are plenty of worms like this one to practice on. Eventually you will learn to dismantle defenses effortlessly and pry open the deepest secrets of the mind. There are advance techniques also, such as controlling the very mind you are infiltrating, as well as implanting thoughts and false memories.

For now, I want you to focus on detecting intense emotions, like the hate and fear he feels. It should be as if a beacon was lit. It makes him stand out from everyone else. Most people do not live in constant states of intense emotion. This is one of our greatest tools in routing the insurgents. They are on edge, afraid, or cannot hide their hate when they see us. It gives them away and gives us an edge. There are other things you can pick up on, such as pain." And with that said she grabbed a piece of metal debris and used the sharp edge to cut into the man's arm. He flinched but kept his face straight. Pain was more manifested in the body and nervous system, but the mind reflected it. "Can you feel that? It's not the pain itself but the warning signals in the brain and the heightened emotional state. You'll learn to associate it with pain."

Palinsa glanced over as the Raven wentoff to investigate. The words of her new mentor resonated harshly inher head. She knew that memories could be faked. She had guessed thatsurface, knee jerk thoughts were sincere. But in listening, her mindwent back to several things. “So even surface thoughts might betrained?” The idea that some of her previous business dealings werefalsely led made her angry. She didn't like the idea of having beenduped.

When Alexia spoke of high emotionsmaking someone appear as a beacon, she moved her head slightly tolook at the others around them. She tried to concentrate on what hermind saw rather than merely heard. Tilting her head slightly, shethen looked at the prisoner and her eyes visibly widened. The factshe couldn't see it before upset her, but now that she could...

Anger seemed the most prevalent of whatshe felt rolling off him. It was like a warm wind pulsing off him.Taking a deep breath she pressed through the overly intense emotion.The next thing she found was fear. He was scared and was using angerto mask it.

Other emotions seemed to mingle. Heflared with occassional lust for her. But the base feeling wastainted, like the emotion was twisted. She could only guess that whatmost people found as lust in their mind, this one was wrapped up inpossession and destruction. She felt it pushing in on her to thepoint she felt herself swimming in his touch. The saying of someonebeing undressed with another's eyes was almost true. She felt himlooking her up and down and and he was crawling over her like amadman.

Gasping and blinking, Palinsa actuallyrubbed her arms as if to wipe him off. “I... I see what you mean.”She dare not say more in front of the worm in her mentor's hands.Suddenly, in looking away from the man's eyes, she noticed somethingon his neck. She wouldn't have caught it if she had merely lookedaway.

Taking a step forward, her hand risingonly to hesitate a moment before tugging back the collar of hisjacket. There was ink there, a badly done tattoo. A sun with rays upand down as if incomplete on the sides. “Alexia... is thissignificant?” She tilted her head and frowned. “It's a sunburst.But it's not complete. The rays only come off the top and bottom.”

She shrugged and let the collar flapback. It was probably nothing. Lots of folks inked their body. Shehad entertained the idea herself on more than one occasion.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

AKA
    Geoffrey
    "The mind is a complex and mysterious thing." Alexia tapped the side of the captive's head with a finger. "It is amazing the lies we can fabricate. The strongest of which are the ones we tell ourselves. With these rebel types it's jarring to get to the chocolately center of their minds and find that, deep down, they really do believe in their cause. They really think that they are in the right. To them they are the good guys, the saviors, and the underdogs who will prevail against the Empire. They have tricked themselves into thinking that the massacre of thousands of lives was a necessary and calculated loss. They have let themselves become monsters hiding behind self made masks."

She did not go into just how unsettling it can be to get inside the mind of a believer and see the shining purity of their belief. You knew that it was wrong, but through the mirror of their perspective it was the opposite. It was a dissonance between what you knew and what they believed. It had a way of sticking with you, echoing in your own thoughts, haunting your dreams. There were depths of the mind too deep to return from in the same shape you entered. There were even levels were your minds exchanged, and you took as much with you as you left behind. It was a dangerous link, and against another force user could result in them gleaming information from your mind in the exchange.

"An incomplete sunburst?" She asked as the slight smile faded from her face and in it's place a sinking, icy feeling dropping down her spine. Grabbing the man's head she pulled it over her shoulder so she could look down the front of his body, and see the marking Palinsa had just pointed out. There it was. The mark of the Sith. Her eyes went wide and unblinking as she quickly looked up, his sight darting back and fourth as she scanned the area. "Captain, bring your men back. This is not a rebel." She shoved him to the ground and stood up, her hand drawing her lightsabre from her belt and thumbing the activation plate. The silver blade sprung to life.

"He's a cultist!" her free hand grab his hair and pulled him back on to the blade, the beam spearing straight through his back and out his chest. The blade illuminated the shadowy ruins. Letting go of the lifeless body it fell to the ground clumsily. Dead. She motioned for Palinsa and headed out of the hollowed structure only to have her movement silenced as an explosion detonated in the center of the remaining Raven Guard; scattering them as they fell or dove for cover. From rooftops, doorways, and rubble men suddenly appeared. Some of them wore black robes, some were dressed like thugs. An orchestra of noise sounded as blasters began firing and red crackling lightsabres sprung to life.

"Get down Cadet!" Alexia screamed as she threw the Cadet into a corner before running out into the mix. Her lightsabre deflected the odd blaster shot while her free hand waved through the air, moving this way and that, making pinched or crushing motions. The world around her responded in kind as cultists were thrown off their feet, tossed into the air, or slammed into the ground. The Raven Guard detachment had returned and was turning the tide with their steady staccato of blaster fire.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

AKA
    Geoffrey
    The trap was sprung. The Knights were pinned and their troopers displaced. The battle was going as expected. While the main attack party drew the attention of the vanguard a second party moved in from behind. The small group positioned themselves behind the hollowed out structure the Knights had been using as cover. They looked each other in the eye and nodded. One of them swung a powered mining pick and struck the wall, blowing a huge hole through the wall; showering the Cadet on the other side with debris. A grenade was tossed through, cooked and ready to blow immediately. The stun grenade went off, tossing the Cadet to the ground. They wasted no time slipping in through the hole, grabbing the onconscious Cadet and slipping back out without the Imperial pigs noticing.

The plan was a success. Those who gave their lives would never be remembered. They were but pawns to be sacrificed to the Dark.

---

"Waaaaaake up little Knight."

A metal hand came up to smack the Cadet across the face, jarring her from her slumber. She woke to find herself in a dank room, a basement in fact. Her arms were bound and a chain held her suspended from the ceiling. Her feet barely touched the ground, her armor and weapons had been stripped off and she was left in her robes. Several men stood around the room, but the one who slapped her stood right in front of her. His skin was a sickly pale but there was a twisted light in his eyes that made him look very much alive. He was wearing a band shirt and his arms were covered in a surplus of bangles and bracelets.

There was a big smile on his face.

Alexia had shoved Palinsa back and ran out into the fray. A small growl fell from the Cadet's lips as she once more was left feeling helpless as something went on around her. Then she remembered that she wasn't useless. She was an Imperial Knight. Perhaps only a Cadet, but she was one just the same. Pali grabbed for her weapon and was just about to rise to the aid of her mentor when the world around her erupted in chaos. A blast behind her left her half crouched as she threw her arm up to protect her head. But just as she turned, the stun of the grenade's blast exploded a moment before her world rocked once more, sending her to her knees just before blackness overcame her.

The first thing that registered was pain on her cheek. Why did people hit so hard to wake someone who was unconscious? She made a mental note to not be so rough if she ever had to check someone's consciousness. But then as her eyes opened and she was about to tell Alexia she was fine, the blinding light made her blink a moment. Reaching to cover her eyes, her mind suddenly began registering other things as well. First of all, her arms wouldn't move. They were strung above her, bound at the wrists over her head. She found her tip toes barely able to keep her from replying on the strength of her shoulders alone. As her eyes blinked and blue green orbs gazed at the person before her, she registered something else. This wasn't the alleyway, and he wasn't Alexia!

She felt her heart begin to race as she twisted, fruitlessly, to see if her bonds would give. The man before her was tainted. She wasn't sure how, but it didn't take a telepath to sense the malevolence rolling off him in waves. The fact she was gifted, merely amplified it. Biting her lip a moment in nervous unconscious habit, she blinked again to take in the dingy room. "Where am I? And who are you?" With luck, and the pain in her head not outweighing her ability to hear his thoughts, she could figure a way out of this.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

AKA
    Geoffrey
    "Hi, I'm Alex." His response was simple, childish even. The smile on his face was so big and so full of joy that it was discomforting. More of his appearance came into focus. Homemade tattoos dominated his body, including the Mark of the Sith adorning the underside of his forearm, at the end of which was a silver hand, mechanical, that started at his wrist. There was no synth-flesh hiding. The servos whirled and clicked as his fingers twitched and flexed; like a child excited to get his hands on a new toy. His cheeks were hollow and his body skinny. He looked half starved.

"I'm sorry, did I hurt you? I was afraid you wouldn't wake up. You slept for so long. What's your name?"

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast