Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: La Porte Qui Grince

TheHolo.Net Poster Has been a member for 5 years or longer Gabrielle de Montespan's Avatar
    AKA
    Natacha

Open Roleplay [WoD] La Porte Qui Grince

"Charlotte! Assurez-vous de lâcher les chiens après mon départ et de faire patrouiller toutes les heures." The last thing Gabrielle needed was intruders deciding to take a tour of the mansion where she and her beloved guest Bella were staying during their travel in Brittany. The head of the Toreador clan in Paris journey both across her bith country and Europe on several occasions per year, but she always ensured that security was taken care of, both for her own sake and for her people. Protective and dangerous by nature, the vampire had trained and sired a fair number of deadly assassins over the centuries, spread between her headquarters in Versailles and her other French houses.

"Bella! Ma chérie! Nous pouvons partir!" She sing-sang in direction of the other brunette who was accompanying her for this investigation. There was no other way to call what they were about to do. The past months had procured several reports of an old manor near La Gacilly, at the edge of the Brocéliande forrest, that had everything of the haunted house. Gabrielle would have probably laughed it off, if it hadn't been persistent and one of her spies hadn't witnessed uncanny events on his own. Not one to shy away from getting her hands dirty, Gabrielle had decided to give it a look. She didn't like the sound of supernatural beings running loose an hour away from one of her places of residency. And if she was honest, she was plain curious and could enjoy a good hunt if there was an opportunity!

The brunette smiled to Charlotte, who would be in charge of the house while she was away, as the blonde handed her a glass of her favorite blood. She had had no time to bring live supplies but Charlotte always ensured stocks were ready to be warmed up. That would do for now and left Gabrielle with replenished strength for the night. "Merci." She said before licking the blood smearing her lips.

Then, she headed out to the garage as the sun was no more, and took place in the driver's seat of her car. As soon as Bella joined her, they would be on their way.

TheHolo.Net Poster
    Has been a member for 5 years or longer
    AKA
    Erin
    There was no nicely warmed goblet of anything for her. Arabella had enjoyed a nice dinner before arriving at her friends residence. She would need it for the night ahead, if only half of what she had heard regarding the chateau was true. Her information was very reliable. This particular piece of information had been validated by her most trusted source. Just about every haunted house scenario that could be claimed had been included. Reports of figures in windows when no one should be there. Things moving on their own and more.. things violently thrown. Bella was very glad to have her Toreador relation with her, and told her so for at least the third time as she got into her car.

What was it with Toreador's and their cars?

Arabella not only buckled herself in, but tightened the strap considerably. She knew how this was going to go already. "You will remember that, for now at least, my heart still beats? I'm trying to keep it that way a while longer, ma joie."
    Last edited by Arabella Balfour; Feb 22nd, 2019 at 10:02:37 PM.

TheHolo.Net Poster Has been a member for 5 years or longer Gabrielle de Montespan's Avatar
    AKA
    Natacha
    The night was still young and since they had an hour long drive, Gabrielle had made sure they would have plenty of time to go through that manor. Oh, she didn't like the sound of all the reports she had received, especially the ones through Arebella. It sounded like a good dungeon to keep prisoners and play game with them, but at the same time, the brunette was old fashioned and enjoyed getting extremely hands-on when she had a prey. All French chic would never tame her wild nature. And if anyone was insane enough to harm any of her people and loved ones, she became a monster that would make a vicious werewolf look like a Christmas puppy.

"You will keep your heart beating, ma chérie. Be certain of that. As for whatever we find there? I make no promise."

Vampires, lycanthropes, ghouls... They made for a prominent part of the supernatural circles, but she knew witches existed and frankly, ghosts and spirits could lurk around. And she wouldn't be surprised by other creatures, even rare unique specimen defying rules, lived on this Earth as well.

"Does any of your informants linger around? I told Vincent to keep watch." She spared a glance at Bella and grinned. "I told him a fine bouquet de lys would make no sense as it is exploration night." Vincent, one of her lieutenants, had great fondness for Arabella and had been waiting for the right time to express further interest.

TheHolo.Net Poster
    AKA
    Erin
    Grinning at her friend, 'Bella tried just enjoy the ride. She had made this trip in the day time before, so she new what she was looking at as the town fell away into more rural roads. The deep blue veil of twilight still gripped the land, which was not yet black with night. It was lovely..

"Vincent should turn his attention to someone nicer. I'll just wind up breaking his heart in the end." Of course she'd had plenty of lovers. She was over two hundred years old. For a ghoul it was common sense to alternate partners, lest she become dangerously obsessed with just one. Anyone who knew Arabella knew who that would be. Other lovers were pleasant distractions, but she belonged to Byron..

"Actually, I have someone meeting us there. A paranormal investigator. He comes highly recommended, but mostly it's his... equipment that I'm interested in." Glancing over at Gabby, she wondered if the Toreador appreciated her double entendre as much as she did when she said it.

AKA
    Natacha
    Gabrielle knew that Bella's heart was truly meant for one person, but in the meantime, she was all for her friend to enjoy other casual lovers. As for herself, she indulged in carnal pleasures every once in a while, but frankly, it had been a while since someone truly caught her attention and one night stands bore her more than anything. She'd rather flirt her night away and then go home to read a book or get a good - alive - meal than be disappointed by someone who thought that no-string attached could allow them to be mammoths in rut and not take their time to enjoy things.

"Vincent doesn't expect a till death does us part kind of romance. But he still has a thing for you." The brunette simply answered with a grin, before speeding up as there was nobody around and she loved the good roar of the engines.

What her friend said next piqued her interest. "Private investigator, with promising equipment? Oh ma chérie, tu as toute mon attention! Dis-m'en plus!"

Hunter Durand, age thirty-seven, sat behind the wheel of a rented Peugeot 4008 in the unpaved, unlit drive just outside of the supposedly haunted chateau. His hands rested on his thighs, his head tilted down and his crystalline gaze turned up to assess the overgrown exterior of the place through the bug dotted windshield. This was one of the last locations Sarah Durand, his sister, had been rumored to visit before she had been discovered dead; drained of blood and savaged in her hotel room in Paris. Hunter removed his cellphone from his pocket and pulled up the video message she had sent him, scowling contemplatively at the recording as his sister went on to describe the property. She said it felt strange and she'd seen shapes moving beyond the dusty window panes. Paranormal investigation had been her passion and travelling across Europe to visit 'active sites' had been her dream. He'd paid for the trip, encouraged her to go, and now she was gone. But, that was seven years ago and he was still no closer to finding her killer than he had been the day he'd identified her body.

He stopped the recording and returned his phone to his back pocket, wiggling in the plush leather seat of his rental to do so. Removing the keys from the ignition, the doors automatically unlocked and he stepped out onto the dirt path. The earthen scent and docile breeze could not disguise the very unnerving atmosphere of the place. He shut the driver side door and then, with an annoyed quirk of his brow, looked down to discover a giant coffee stain on the front of his white t-shirt. "Shit." He growled, prowling around to the rear of the vehicle and popping the trunk open with a merciless click of the release button on the fob. The internal lights turned on and he shoved the keys into his front pocket, wrenching open the dufle bag reserved for his clothing. His soiled shirt was removed and he rifled through the contents of his suitcase for an adequate replacement, extracting a black shirt in tandem with the sound of an approaching car.

Headlights illuminated his bared, chiseled abdomen as he turned to face the new arrivals. He squinted and wrenched the opening of the shirt over his head, pulling it down across his torso. Then, he brought his hand up to shield his eyes.

TheHolo.Net Poster
    AKA
    Erin
    Vincent was sweet. That would be delightful, if sweetness was her cup of tea. Glancing into her own reflection in the window, Arabella smiled. Apparently her cup of tea was a spectrum of sexy sullenness, feral rage, enduring patience?

"I'll schedule him an entire evening, on the house, at my club.", she said of poor sweet Vincent.

"Alright! So, this man is rather like one of those ghost hunting shows, I gather. He'll be bound to have all kinds of gadgets, wouldn't you think? Spectral resonance detectors or whatever. I've no idea. I don't watch that drivel! The point is, they have these things!"

Was there a point in there somewhere?

"Secondly, I found him because he claims to know some of the house's most recent activity and he is known in the general paranormal community to be a adamant skeptic."

They were nearing the chateau. Just pulling up in fact, when Arabella concluded. "Last but not least, I saw his picture online and...well.. look." She gestured to what was almost theatrically waiting for them in the stage lights provided by Gabby's vehicle's headlights.

AKA
    Natacha
    "That sounds like a plan." Gabrielle replied with a soft chuckle. Poor Vincent had a knack to go for women who liked more dangerous kinds of men, but she was done trying to drill some sense into his besotted mind. Learning by doing and trial by fire worked best, and he'd have to go through it like everyone else on this earth.

"I don't watch these shows either. I heard there were some humans into paranormal investigation but I thought it was mostly a fictional character type." She smirked because she had always found humans' fascination with what was beyond them amusing and sometimes annoying. Some had been pests and met their demise over the centuries.

"Skeptic? I already like him." Blind faith wasn't one of Gabrielle's traits and she liked when people shared such approaches.

She took the last turn to get to their destination and it took all her vampire reflexes not to stop the car abruptly as she saw the man in her headlights. "Oh putain!" She muttered as she managed to park casually and precisely. "Je vois ce que tu veux dire. On en mangerait!" He was one of the best looking men she had seen in a while. In the darkness of the car, she licked her lips.

Then, she left the car, all poised again and waited for Bella to do the same, so she could lock the vehicle. She gestured for her friend to go first, since she had been the point of contact with this investigator.

The curious mind might wonder why, exactly, Hunter was willing to entertain a female guest while he went about his investigation. There was nothing truly riveting about the answer, or answers as it was. The property owners did not allow just one person around the residence, requiring some form of accountability from a number of individuals rather than just one. Secondly, activity was said to be more prominent in the presence of female visitors, like his sister. Hunter was, while skeptical, willing to replicate the scenario his sibling had been in as an excuse. Truthfully, he only wanted to look around inside and he'd finally managed to pry the keys from the property manager's previously unyielding clutches. He felt the presence of the ornate brass keys in his pocket, the familiar weight of his FN Five-Seven was holster opposite of that. Besides his clothes dufle, his trunk was brimming with the latest 'ghost hunting' technology the market had to offer. If he was going to use such a ruse to earn his way onto these properties, he had to be legit. He had little else to squander his funds on, anyway.

All starched professionalism, Hunter waited for this evening's companion to exit her vehicle; Arabella Balfour, a woman he had not spoken to directly but one who'd expressed an interest in the area through a third party named Rose; these conversations had transpired via email while he was still in Boston. One brow lofted, the rest of his face composed into a seemingly permanent scowl, when he noticed that there was not one but two women approaching him. Once they were within arm's reach, Hunter extended a hand. "Which of you is Arabella Balfour... and which one of you is the spontaneous tag-along?"

All of the physical composure that bespoke a well-mannered American crumbled beneath his annoyed baritone. Clearly, he wasn't looking forward to entertaining two silly girls looking to be scared witless by whatever entity they hoped to see inside; regardless of how beautiful they both were.

TheHolo.Net Poster
    AKA
    Erin
    "Oh, please! Do not eat anyone while I'm around.." Bella half-joked before getting out of the car. "I like my plausible deniability when asked what happened."

Mr. Durand's exceptional good looks withered for Arabella a moment later when he opened his mouth. American, of course.

"Peut-être que vous devriez le manger après tout.", she muttered quietly to Gabrielle. Moving forward to place her hand in his, Arabella ignored his blunt manners.

"Mr. Durand. I am Arabella Balfour. This fetching creature with me is my...sister Gabrielle de Montespan." Obviously Arabella was no more French than Mr. Durand. When she spoke, her voice was warm, comforting, and very British - like a lovely cup of Earl Grey.

"She is here because our family has lived in this area for a very long time and she knows much of the local history. I was led to believe you were a man who relied on the facts? Gabrielle will be able to separate the truth from silly superstition.", she informed him crisply.
    Last edited by Arabella Balfour; Jun 28th, 2016 at 01:05:22 PM.

AKA
    Natacha
    "I'll do my best to behave and keep my impeccable manners, ma chérie." Gabrielle replied with a coy smile.

Her mood turned sour the moment that bloody American opened his mouth. That was so typical of them thinking they owned the place when they would mix up Charlemagne and Louis the XIV in a damn heartbeat. "Si je ne le cogne pas, ce sera un miracle." She muttered back to Bella, keeping her composure stoic as her friend went to give a handshake to that Durand investigator.

She followed suite, listening to Bella's stern explaination. Then she offered a handshake as well, for it wouldn't be said that she lacked decorum. "Local folkore in Brittany is a way of life and many historians are slitghly too enthused about myths and legends. Arebella mentioned you preferred facts over fiction, much as I do; but maybe we misunderstood." She said curtly.

The extent of Hunter's French consisted of bonjour and a very slowly spoken où sont les toilettes; so, when the two women before him quietly exchanged something in that unfamiliar language, all he could do was loft a petulant brow. His handshake was firm, his crystal blue eyes locking with Arabella's as the exchange of introductions was initiated. His gaze flicked to the fetching creature as she was brought into context, his gaze lingering upon her a bit longer than necessary. Then, he released Arabella's hand while she explained why, exactly, she had brought her sister along. The reasoning she gave was sound. His hand rose again, this time to intercept Gabrielle's, and his grip was no less firm the second time; perhaps lingering longer, though, just as his piercing stare had.

"At least you'll be useful, then." He replied curtly, releasing her hand and cocking a faint, fake smirk in their direction. He about-faced and began rifling through the contents of his rental's trunk once more, extracting a modified go-pro and a voice recorder that he kept on his person. Three flashlights were also removed, along with hand-held radios, and the latest in EMF detectors. "We'll need to get some base readings once inside to establish a norm. The second floor is supposedly a hot spot for activity but the property manager warned me that some of the floorboards in the western wing are moldering. So, we'll need to avoid that area." He gestured to the devices he had laid out, allowing them to take their pick. "Radios are already switched to a shared frequency, in case we get separated; but, I'd recommend against that. Flashlights. If you take an EMF detector, these track energy sources by the way, make sure not to wave it around; the readings won't be accurate." Once they had picked up their devices, Hunter shut the trunk, locked the vehicle, and then took the brass keys from his pocket.

"All right." He flicked on his flashlight once all of his personal devices were activated, the outside area still partially illuminated by the headlights he'd kept on. He'd turn them off with the fob once they got inside. "Ready?"

TheHolo.Net Poster
    AKA
    Erin
    Before Gabrielle decided eating him right here on the driveway was a good idea, Arabella reached up to lay a hand against her shoulder. Not so much restraining her, as pleading for patience. It was going to be a long night, and they at least needed him to explain how to work the equipment before he wound up becoming her midnight snack.

"Later..", she promised.

Mr. Durand was in over his head, and she would be there when he figured it out. The thought gave her a slow patient smile.

From the back seat of Gabrielle's car, Arabella retrieved her sweater. Firstly because she was almost always cold, but more to the point she wanted the deep pockets it had. After sending a last text, one would hold her silenced phone and the other, one of the EMF detectors, along with a flashlight. Tucking the strap of her handbag over her shoulder, she was ready.

Now that they were about to enter the place, she turned her face up to take in the sight of the old, supposedly haunted, manor. The door was illuminated in the shine of Durand's vehicle's lights. It might have been beautiful, were in not for the prolific tangle of green covering most of the windows. Was it keeping something in, or out? Smirking at her fanciful thoughts, Arabella joined Gabrielle and Mr. Durand at the door, flashlight in hand.

"Oui, ready."
    Last edited by Arabella Balfour; Jul 10th, 2016 at 05:07:07 PM.

AKA
    Natacha
    As handsome as annoying, Gabrielle noted about Durand. Damn American always so arrogant but their male specimen could be her weakness. Thank God, Bella hadn't made a joke about that yet. She took in the fine features of that professional, who'd better deliver if he didn't want to add to the unexplainable activity happening in this estate. She returned his firm handshake and the stare. He wasn't the only one looking a tad too long and she hated how she liked it, even when she wanted to strangle him on the spot.

"Hopefully you'll be as well," she retorted with a dark smirk, before making sure to take the right equipment. Her jacket was meant for such things, and her gestures were precise and quick as she got ready. "Always," she replied with a curt nod, indicated to Durand to take the lead, which she hated. Yet, he had the keys, so he could as well use them, even when she would have had no problem to find a way inside on her own, which had been her original plan.

There was an odd tug of her intuition as they closed in on the manor. She had established with disdain how Breton's deep affection for legends annoyed her, but at the same time she knew that there was more to reality than what humans believed it to be.

Once both women had given him the go-ahead, Hunter slipped the brass key designated for the front door into the rusted keyhole and gave it a sharp turn. The lock snicked loudly and stubbornly. Without even trying to tamely open the door, somehow knowing that would only make him look foolish, the detective instead threw his shoulder into it. The wood gave a resounding snap, nothing damaging but the moisture thickened fibers giving way to momentum. From there, the solid oak groaned as it swayed inward and allowed them to step inside the pitch blackness of the chateau. His flashlight was aimed forward, tracing a path down the rug lined foyer and then up an ornate staircase. In the dark, two eyes blinked at him from the second floor before skittering off; undoubtedly belong to a rat who they disturbed with their pronounced arrival. His combat-style boots echoed loudly against the floorboards as he ventured deeper into the entryway, stepping up to a cherry wood hall tree engraved with somber looking angels. He set the EMF reader he carried on the seat of it and left it there to establish a norm for the area.

"So.." He said, his deep voice clambering toward the high ceilings of the foyer. "Where would you ladies like to start first? Basement? Above stairs?" All the while, his eyes never left the minimally fluctuating needle of the EMF reader. Everything was going as expected, so far.

TheHolo.Net Poster
    AKA
    Erin
    The sound of that aged door groaning open penetrated Arabella's flesh, disturbing her bones with a certain 'nails on a chalkboard' feeling. She was relieved when they entered and the door was once more sealed. Listening to Mr. Durand as he explained the need for base readings and keeping the EMF detector in a fixed position, she moved ahead to place one hand on the carved wooden hand rail leading up the steps to the, half moldering, second floor.

Just as Durand was extolling on the virtues of absolute quiet during EVP sessions, Arabella's now silenced phone chose that moment to light up her pocket, and the foyer. "Merde!" She fumbled with the device, stopping the alarm that had been set to go off just then, a reminder to take the medication that had been prescribed to her during her stay in Chicago.

From the handbag on her shoulder she recovered a pill from a bottle, as well as a small bottled water which she used to take the tablet. "My apologies, Mr. Durand. I had forgotten about that being set. It will not happen again tonight."

Considering the choices, with the slightly carnal look only a proper courtesan could manage, 'Bella tipped her head to the side and smiled. "Oh, we should definitely start at the top and work our way down slowly, oui?
    Last edited by Arabella Balfour; Jul 10th, 2016 at 05:10:47 PM.

AKA
    Natacha
    The sound the door made would make a fine instrument of torture, though Gabrielle noted how Durand didn't try to play it smart when that aged piece would have squeaked anyone's tympans to death at some point anyway. Once inside, she kept some attention on the EMF detector she held, but she relied more on her acute senses than it. Of course, she had to keep the charade up that she wasn't vampire but she wasn't going to lower her vampiric guard just to look less intelligent.

She was no witch but she had lived long enough to know that something was amiss in this place. The moment Bella's alarm went off, she cursed too, but in a more colorful and quieter fashion. She briefly freed one of the hand and rested it on her friend's back. She knew what the alarm and the pill were for, but she wasn't going to speak of it in the present company. It was just a tacit way to show her friend she wasn't going to rip her a new one for this alarm incident.

"Bonne idée," she confirmed to the other brunette's suggestion. "If the house crumbles down, we'll have had a chance to explore higher floors." She said that in a very matter-of-fact tone, as if she was used to such things. What could she say? It had happened to her before.

She moved carefully on the staircases, hearing some rattling on the side, probably the same bunch of rats whose eyes they had briefly seen. "Saletés de rongeurs," she muttered.

Hunter Durand was not a jumpy man. So, when the resounding chime of the woman's alarm began to echo throughout the unlit foyer, all he managed was a withering stare in her direction. With a long suffering sigh, the American snatched up the EMF reader and dialed it to a resting status.

"See that it doesn't." He stated gruffly, his gaze falling away from her in disinterest at that carnal look and flicking toward Gabrielle. This time, his inspection of the other woman was brief. Then, he moved toward the staircase the women seemed eager to climb. He was itching to go above stairs, as well; the nursery was a famed hot spot and his sister had scribbled down a great many notes and recorded many voice sessions in the room.

"Very well." He acquiesced smoothly, following behind them with his flashlight trained on the steps they were slowly taking. The old set creaked beneath them and a layer of dust gathered on his fingers that stretched out to find purchase on the wooden handrail. "Reports written on the manor detail three reoccurring apparitions. Two human and one that is said to be demonic in origin. There is supposedly a small child, female, that has been spotted in the gardens and in the nursery that will be up here on the right; there is some audio evidence, it sounds like little girl's laugh, but the source of these files is hardly reliable." He went on the explain as they continued to carefully place their steps.

"Some of the other investigators who have earned access to the estate have brought in small toys and placed them around, only to find them moved at some point during the session. Again, these sources lack credibility."

TheHolo.Net Poster
    AKA
    Erin
    The look Arabella shot Gabrielle at the imagery of the manor crumbling down around them could only be described as incredulous. It might be all well and fine for Gabby, but her mortal ghost hunting companions would not fair quite so well!

Out of sight of Mr. Durand, Bella stuck her tongue out at her immortal relation impertinently, to match her bad humor. Stepping forward, she began the hike upward through the once beautiful old house, while listening to the information being given to them by Mr. Durand.

On the steps, she paused to turn around, one hand before her to keep the light out of her eyes. "Demonic?"

For a girl who had spend the last centuries in the company of vampires, a little thing like demons probably should not concern Arabella overmuch, yet it clearly did.

Frowning, she kept moving toward the room on the right he had indicated was the nursery. As he had described, other investigators had left behind toys for the purported ghost child. It was more than a little creepy. Rag dolls with tea cups. Stuffed animals in small toy chairs, but no other furniture. Still, she could almost imagine it there. A bassinet before the window. A rocking chair nearby..

Chills ran up her arms.

AKA
    Natacha
    Gabrielle was well aware that Bella was mortal. While she had great faith in her friend's survival abilities, she would also never hesitate to reveal her immortality if that meant saving her heart-sister's life. She wouldn't let anything happen to Bella when she was around. Fiercely protective barely began to cover the French vampire. She took such things very seriously.

She also grinned mischievously and made a face when her fellow brunette stuck her tongue out at her. Oh, the trouble they were good at getting into together! Bella was also one of the persons who found the inner child in Gabby every now and then;

The brief but enticing look that annoying American gave her wasn't lost on her. Damn, he was already getting on her nerves but the sight of him shirtless had left an interesting first impression on her regardless.

Climbing up the stairs, she felt the dust beneath her fingertips as she moved like a cat to the next floor. Bella's reaction to the mention of demonic presence echoed in her soul. She hated demons. It wasn't that she had never encountered one, but the thought of a demonic child chilled her to the bones. Good thing her heart didn't beat anymore for it would have skipped a beat.

She had complicated relations with children of any kind and the thought of a demonic one wasn't fine at all. The same way, she had always battled against vampires turning children. As much as she understood the need to have offspring, biologically denied to vampires, she found the whole concept of child vampires horrendous.

She kept pressing forward, remaining silent for now, but her mood was sour at this point, with the whole topic of children brought up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast