Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: This Fall On Our TVs...

TheHolo.Net Poster
    Has been a member for 5 years or longer

AKA
    Droo
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: droogydroo
    [Fitzsimmons] may just be the second best couple in anything ever. First goes to Roslin and Adama, obviously.

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Jace
    Quote Originally Posted by Droo View Post
    [Fitzsimmons] may just be the second best couple in anything ever. First goes to Roslin and Adama, obviously.
    Seconded.

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Lilaena Steam ID: jainhollie
    Agents of SHIELD made me [cry.....]

oh what a tangled web I weave

AKA
    Jace
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilaena De'Ville View Post
    Agents of SHIELD made me [cry.....]
    Pretty sure that the only people who didn't have no soul. Such an amazingly [and tragically] well done episode.

The first episode of Supergirl is even better the second time around.

And holy crap the music.
    It's like that, and that's the way it is.

Supergirl
    Supergirl is amazing. I know she's a very different Supergirl from how I write, but I adore what they've done with the character (even if she isn't much like her comic book counterpart). The scene where she sees herself saving the plane on the TV and is SO excited is my absolute favourite of that kind of scene in any superhero media ever. And actually, I love how somehow they make Supergirl (of all people) the underdog. It just goes to say all that BS about 'Superman being too powerful' to tell interesting stories just isn't true.

Supergirl has the same powers here and they still make her feel like the underdog.

TheHolo.Net Poster
    AKA
    Holly
    I'm really enjoying Supergirl as well. I am wondering what the significance of the DEO guy [with the red eyes] is. I can't even remember his name.

There is a LOT of significance for that DEO guy.

In the comics, he is [a former astronaut turned villain called Cyborg Superman who is... well... he's a cyborg, with abilities roughly comparable to Superman. He's supposed to look like Superman (though obviously this version doesn't), and was one of the characters who came along to try and replace him during the whole Death of Superman storyline... before eventually winding up in charge of an intergalactic army of killer robots.]

The two red eyes is throwing me a little, though. Cyborg Superman is normally drawn looking like the Terminator, with half his face missing - would've expected only the one glowing eye to echo that. Two red eyes is usually more of a Martian Manhunter thing.

...huh. Well played, Agents of SHIELD. I did not see that coming.

Supergirl
    Supergirl episode 2 was also awesome, and I love them addressing the major points of Kara's character; that she didn't grow up on Earth, and sucks in a fight and relies on her powers. She's also more Supergirly to me this episode, than the still-awesome but different-from-how-I-know-Supergirl rendition from the pilot. Loved the saving stuff montage. Her reaction to rescuing the snake from a tree was awesome.

Anybody watched Ash vs. Evil Dead? One of the funniest shows I've seen in a while. I loved it.

iZombie is still great btw and you all need to see it .

First Ahsoka, then Rex, now Hondo?

Damn it, Star Wars Rebels. Include any more of my favourite Clone Wars characters, and I may just have to marry you.

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Jace
    Welp, now I'm officially hooked on Supergirl. Reactron was really cool (I love the way they envisioned his power!), there's a really nice flow/continuity between the episodes, and Director Henshaw [is ominous as hell! Super intrigued to find out what his deal is!]

I'm glad they tackled the whole "how do we include Superman without including Superman?" thing head on at such an early stage. Creates a nice in-universe excuse for why he's not around... and while the [they only interact via Instant Messenger plot device is a little cheesy, it's a nice kind of cheesy. It'll probably wear a bit thin eventually, but for now it seems like a cute way of doing it.]

Supergirl
    I still love Supergirl. Wished the promos hadn't spoiled Superman's surprise save of her though.

More in depth, spoilery thoughts; The instant messenger thing is both cute and a great idea to have them interact properly without having to show him. But I do really feel like maybe midseason onwards, they need to cast a real Superman. He's too big of a presence in Kara's life to be absent. I totally get holding him back so that Kara can be established. It's like the producers of Arrow always said; the main character has to be the coolest one in the show, otherwise, you'll just wish you were watching a spin-off about somebody else. But right now he a) seems like a total dick for not helping raise Kara at all (Superman is a dick!) and b) it's more and more obvious and forced how they aren't showing him. Also, I get Kara wants to be a hero on her own, but it makes no sense she hasn't told him that there's another Kryptonian out there!

Outside of that, I continue to love this show. I adore that the whole 'cousin of a really big hero' angle is part of Kara's hang-ups here. It's a new, fresh angle to explore in superhero TV/cinema. There's all kinds of fresh takes on heroes, but it's not one really done before, and it's a nice thing to explore, and she remains one of the most likeable on screen heroes in a long time. Even when she's being stubborn or moody, she's totally likeable. And they continue to manage to make her seem the underdog, despite being one of the most powerful heroes around.

Only real criticism is that the fights still look rubbish. Worse than Arrow's or Flash's, which given it should have a higher budget is pretty noticeable.

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Droo
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: droogydroo
    Everything about this week's Agents of SHIELD was just

Fitzsimmons continue to be pure magic whenever they're on screen together.
    Bobbi and Hunter's mission to the ATCU facility was equal parts funny, slick, and badass.
    Phil Coulson reveals he has a plan, and that he's always one step ahead.
    I love the dynamic between Coulson and Rosalind Price. She's a very interesting and engaging character. I hope she sticks around.
    The poignant little moment between May and Lincoln was a nice surprise.
    And then, the Hydra reveal at the end to tie everything together.

Bring on next week!

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Ward was AWESOME in this episode. Everyone was, really, I love the entire ensemble.

David Tennant, you are a creepy, scary man.

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

I've only watched the first episode of Jessica Jones, but the part where he [licked her face out of nowhere in her dream] was horribly creepy. And then, of course, everything else.

What really ups the creep factor is that there are moments where he doesn't seem creepy and evil. There are moments when that David Tennant charm creeps in, and you almost catch yourself liking him. Casting Tennant was inspired... it adds this flourish of plausibility to the whole thing.

Just caught up on Clone Wars (missed a couple of weeks).

Hot damn at that Interdictor episode. They may be starting with a clean slate as far as canon and continuity goes, but they are doing a really great job of cherry picking familiar elements from the EU. It's kind of the "comic book movie" approach - taking a good idea and doing something a little bit different with it.

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Do you mean Rebels? Or are you just watching Clone Wars for the first time?

Because the intro for the B-Wing in Rebels was so awesome. I didn't know they were that cool!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast