TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Lilaena Steam ID: jainhollie
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Arrow View Post
    Re: Barbara Gordon - Would you like to have her involved in the Queen Consolidated investigation at all? Maybe Barbara has posted some stuff on her blog that leads Oliver Queen to go visit her in his civilian guise to find out what she knows (kinda like Oliver and Felicity at the start of Season 1), or perhaps he visits her as the Green Arrow instead (and it's a bit more of a Flash / Iris West vibe)? Could be a good place to start, at least.
    Yes, this sounds good, and with her meeting him in costume. I like the idea of her not knowing exactly who he really is right off the bat. Also she knows how to kick ass, but again, not really looking to make her Batgirl or Green Arrow Girl or whatever. I like the idea of an Oracle who can take care of herself (so no wheelchair thing unless I decide later to do that). Basically I'm just taking the talking points of Barbara Gordon and making her my own.

edit: I keep hitting 'post' and then having more thoughts.

Barbara writes under an assumed name (Oracle), and is able to hide her tracks well enough that someone wouldn't be able to tell where she's posting from (other than it must be Gotham due to what she writes about). So Oliver would have to draw her out, somehow, probably through a comment section clue or something like that?

oh what a tangled web I weave

Supergirl
    That sounds good to me . She needs to meet Kara some time . I'm not sure how, it'd just be fun. I love Kara/Babs interacting.

I just want to put together a list of characters taken and stuff so that we've got a comprehensive list somewhere.

TheHolo.Net Poster

Has been a member for 5 years or longer
    AKA
    Jace
    I like the idea of luring Barbara out with a comment in a post. Would she be too wary of that (in case it's the Riddler, or Cluemaster, or someone trying to lure her into a trap) to come alone, or is she confident enough in the anonymity of her Oracle pseudonym that she's... not worried about criminals being out to kidnap her because of who her uncle is?

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

She'd be confident that no one has put together that Oracle is related to the Comissioner, yeah. Also, naive enough to venture out alone. I'm assuming the comment would seem intruiging and not dangerous, maybe like a regular person wanting to come forward with more information or something like that?

John Stewart and Guy Gardner were selected as alternate GL's for 2814 while Hal was still around, so it's entirely feasible for someone else to play a GL if they wanted. Though, as fair warning, if anyone plays Kyle, I will make their life a living hell for inflicting that Mary Sue POS on us. =P

Yeah, Alan Scott could have been on the Wayne board, and he likely still heads GBS. I'm totally good with having another old-timer knocking around that he could interact with. The reason I picked Alan is that his power isn't physical, it's mental, and he can control it the same no matter his age. He can serve a bit as a mentor or as the "old man" sounding board to some of the newbies. He'll be quite surprised that another ring has shown up, especially when it behaves differently to his own.

For Hal, well, he just got fired from Ferris Aircraft for somehow flying and crashing a multi-milion-dollar flightless training module, so, he's looking for work, and there might be an air company in the Gotham area who needs a skilled test pilot. In such an economy, he'd want to go where the money is and the job is. Also, with a bit of newfound power, he might want to study some of the new "heroes" in the area where they seem to be concentrated. Who knows, maybe Queen Consolidated has some new jet aircraft they're working on? Could be a nice link to Ollie, there.

And, to be blunt, GL is my favorite comic book character of all time, and I wasn't allowed to play Hal last time around, so dang it, I WILL be playing him this time. So, nyah. =P

TheHolo.Net Poster
    AKA
    Holly
    So I'm going to go with: Oracle's blog writing up a quick piece about Queen Consolidated crates being seen somewhere unexpected along with an uptick in crimes being committed with higher tech than one usually expects in Gotham? Something like that? Basically the same thing we did last time but with Queen Consolidated rather than Wayne Enterprises? I'm not exactly sure what you have in mind.

Now I need to dig up the blog I set up

edit: http://gothamsdarkcorners.blogspot.com/?m=1

Supergirl
    Maybe Hal and Kara could cross paths early on? I'm not sure how well known the Green Lantern corps are to the Kryptonians, but it'd make sense Kara is aware of them, and to Hal, she's one of the big alien 'threats' in Gotham, so maybe we could even do the classic misunderstanding-fight thing?

The GL corps are universal (literally) and the Kryptonians would certainly have known of them. Since Kyrpton was under a red sun, a GL would have been just as crazy-powerful there as they are here. But, they're essentially space-cops, and are known to be good guys, for the most part.

Supergirl
    I thought as much, it just seems odd to me as there was never a Kryptonian Green Lantern, was there? At least, not one I know of.

Well, they could still meet, even if Hal meets to check Kara is safe, and maybe Kara is so relieved to see a Green Lantern, somebody she assumes will know about life in space and so she can relate to, she baffles him with all talk of life on Krypton he knows nothing about?

There wasn't a modern Kryptonian Lantern (there might have been a ye olde one?), but there are Lanterns from the Daxamite race which is a sort of Kryptonian offshoot. Thing to bear in mind is that if there are only one (or two) Lanterns per Sector, and each Sector is home to lots of worlds and lots of races... you're gonna get some races that go unrepresented sometimes. I think Krypton is/was in Tomar-Re's sector (the fish-bird guy).

As far as using the alternate excuse for Guy or John... yes, that does hypothetically allow for a second Lantern, but we would also need to get them a Green Lantern ring, and the Green Lantern Corps is going to have to get mixed in and involved, which sorta stretches credibility a lot if Hal Jordan is still on Earth and hasn't reported back to Oa to take on his duties. It's doable, yes, but we would need to contrive a solution to make it happen... and that's not really any less complicated than contriving an excuse to bring someone back from the dead. Arguably, resurrection would be easier and require less plot bullshittery to bring about.

In terms of Queen Consolidated plots -

Oliver Queen's parents died (as they do in the comics) while he was a kid. Oliver inherited the company, but his uncle looked after things while he was still growing up. When Oliver was stranded on the island and declared dead, his uncle was able to take control of the company and take it public... so when Oliver returned, it wasn't "his" any more, even though it's still got his name on the side of all the buildings. Oliver's uncle is involved with a shady government black ops group, and has been having QC secretly working on iffy military contracts. Some of that may be tech based, some of that may be bioweapons or super-steroids a la Bane or Mirakuru. It's possible that tech is getting out on the streets like you suggest, or it might be rumours that Queen or one of it's subordinates has been releasing experimental drugs out onto Gotham's streets to see what it will do to the population, etc. Whole host of shady science villain style stuff.

TheHolo.Net Poster

Proof that not all people who draw anatomically correct anthropomorphic animals are furries. Or... is he?

AKA
    Mitch. Duh.
    Well, how about this: if someone else wants to play a Green Lantern, we'll worry about it at that point? Or, we'll simply figure it out. We don't have to be 100% canon, after all, and half the fun of this is in making characters and timelines that don't really go together, work together. I just want to play the character I liked best, growing up, as I probably know more about Hal Jordan - and the GL Corps - than anyone else here. So, yeah, I know how to find loopholes, too, and it won't be a problem.

I know that likely came off as a rather jerk thing to say, but this really is a part I've wanted to play for some time, and wasn't allowed to play, the last time around. I'm gonna do it, and I'm gonna do it in the most fun, fair, and team-friendly way possible, while still being true to the character, and the concept. I just want to have fun.

Supergirl
    I agree with Mitch totally. I just came from a board where I wasn't allowed to play Kara because she was 'too powerful' (despite the way I write her being that she actually sucks, she's just a powerhouse who sucks at using her powers). And I hated it. Everybody should get to write who they want.

Plus we're the ones 'shaping' the universe by how we write now, as the core group starting it off. When other people join, if they want a character, they can work with us. I mean, what if a Superman joins but he wants to be the last Kryptonian? Tough, I'm already writing Supergirl. Stuff like that.

We go first. Other people can then adapt

I think you're completely and utterly missing what I'm getting at, Mitch - you've got my point completely ass-backwards.

I have absolutely no problem whatsoever with you being Hal Jordan. As I've said, I happen to really like the idea, and I think everyone should be able to do whatever the heck they want, and we can - as we've both said - worry about how to fix any complications if and when they are a problem. I would just like to see that mentality applied equally everywhere: if it's okay to complicate matters with other Green Lanterns (which it is), then it should be okay to, for example, say that Ted Kord is dead (as he usually is in the comics), and then "worry about it later" if anyone does want to come along and play him. Resurrecting Ted Kord and coming up with an excuse to write John Stewart are of about equal difficulty, given how easy it is to bring someone back from the dead in comic books.

Lets pick a mindset and stick to it, rather than applying one mentality now that's completely different from the mentality we had a few days ago.

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Jace, you originally said that you were "not saying those characters shouldn't happen exactly the way you want them to." Let's not borrow trouble and argue with each other about something you brought up originally just to be a devil's advocate.

Edit: I honestly don't understand what you're talking about regarding Ted Kord. Is it that you want to say that he's dead? I think avoiding "this hero is dead" statements is something we'd agreed not to do...?

When one one picks a character they want to be sometimes that means that other comic characters are dead, I guess? Like we have Batman so that means his parents are dead. Or...? I honestly don't understand.

If someone wants to play Flash that automatically means someone else can't. We have a Hal and a Green Arrow - these characters are taken, so other people are excluded from using them.

Saying that the Joker or Ted Kord or whoever is dead is different: that's excluding them from the story and not allowing others to play them if they want to later. I'd be much more in favor of simply not mentioning them or mentioning them in an NPC fashion where they sort of exist or did in the past or something without mentioning their fates.

edit 2: so I agree with Mitch and Supergirl
    Last edited by Lilaena De'Ville; Oct 13th, 2015 at 04:16:46 PM.

Supergirl
    Sooooo.... we're good right?

TheHolo.Net Poster

Proof that not all people who draw anatomically correct anthropomorphic animals are furries. Or... is he?

AKA
    Mitch. Duh.
    If Supergirl, here, Holly and I came to the same conclusion on your point, then perhaps it was your point that wasn't clear, and others have interpreted it in another way. Just saying. I also never said anything about anyone who was, might be, or should be dead, or anything about resurrecting a character. That subject is completely beyond the pale, in relationship to anything I said.

I said I wanted to be Hal. It appeared you had an issue with that, which is clear, now, that you didn't. But, what you're saying about picking one mindset and sticking with it, doesn't clarify one mindset at all.

The "roll with it" attitude I'm presuming we're all going to operate under is the same one I presume we operate under for SW RP: Do what you like, be respectful of others, and if something is an issue, find a way to work it out instead of letting it be a stumbling block. Am I under the wrong impression, there? If another GL wants to roll into the mix, awesome; there'll probably be a great way to bring them in, and I think we should leave the method of their entry up to the new player as much as possible. And, if someone wants to play a GL, and doesn't know a lot about them, let them ask us, and we'll be glad to help. Heck, I ask SW stuff all the time, doesn't mean I'm afraid to do something, or feel shut out.

Last thing I wanted was an argument.

Supergirl
    I vote roll with it, let people do what they want, and work with newbies/new characters to fit in if there's any possibility of a problem. I always lose interest if things get over planned anyway . It's more fun for me watching things evolve and happen you didn't plan.

Edit: for brevity.

Mitch - At no point did I say you couldn't do anything. I was pointing out that our logic is squiffy, and I was arguing that we should treat every case the way that we were treating your case: by letting you do whatever the heck you wanted, and worrying about any complications later. You were just a convenient example - and I stated that pretty openly.
    Last edited by Wally West; Oct 13th, 2015 at 06:03:06 PM.

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Supergirl View Post
    Sooooo.... we're good right?
    We're good

I am... still a bit confused about Ted Kord.

Ted Kord is basically Gwen Stacy. He did stuff while he was alive, but his death is arguably his most significant contribution to the storyline. That's why I suggested him in the first place: being dead is his default state, 90% of the time. In particular, his death deeply affects his best friend and partner in crime-fighting Booster Gold, who is a character I've already expressed an interest in writing - and I would specifically want to do a post-Ted version of Booster, who has Ted's death as an inspiration to "be better", who has to fight the urge to travel back and change the timeline to keep Ted from dying, etc.

So basically, if I say that Ted is dead for Booster Gold reasons, that is 100% fine?

Not trying to be shady and subvert the system, I genuinely do want to write as Booster. It just feels a bit... wonky that all it takes for a disallowed idea to be an allowed one is me writing a guy I already want to write.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast