Thread: Master promotions

Master promotions

I know that knights are deemed ready by their masters, but when/how do Masters get made?

I liked how it was in GJO where the Council would decide when one was ready and have a test of sorts, and do it like a surprise to the RPer, but this is obviously an old and out of date model. How should we do it now?

It isn't that I think we have a bunch of people who need to be made Jedi Masters, but I think Serena has earned it and I'd like her to somehow get there, sometime after she goes after Sol and heals him.

there is no passion; there is serenity
    there is no death; there is the Force

TheHolo.Net Poster

He has taken a supreme vow of celibacy, like his father, and his father before him...

Has been a member for 5 years or longer
    AKA
    Droo
    Maybe our grasp of what defines a Jedi Master has to change. I can't imagine the very small handfull of present masters giving Serena, or anyone else, a pat on the back for something and say "Well done, old bean, here... be a master!"

Perhaps these Jedi might come to define a master as someone who has proven themselves unsurpassed in a particular field. Serena, for example, may earn her Jedi doctorate in the field of healing.

TheHolo.Net Admin

Baroness Scorpion #2
    Lesbian Overlord of SWFans

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Jenny
    There was a fairly length (and somewhat frustrating) discussion about the Master rank a couple of years ago: http://sw-fans.net/forum/showthread.php?t=20062

For reference, I'm still of the same opinion that I was then: that it's largely down to the RPer to work out when their character is worthy is becoming a Master. Generally, I would imagine that would come about as Droo says, by them becoming a 'master' of some aspect of the Force, or even just mastering themselves. It will differ from character to character, depending on exactly what personal hurdles they need to get over.

It would be hard to do secret trials anymore, although if we could manage to pull it off for someone, that would be kind of epic.

I'm picturing Serena printing herself off a certificate of MASTERY OF THE FORCE and putting it on her wall.

I'm going to say that personally she'll be ready after she confronts Loklorien. If, you know, she lives.

Maybe we should have a little FAQ (or add to one we already have somewhere) about promotions. Masters choose when for padawans, and RPers decide OOC about their own characters, with input from the Council ooc? Like, we wouldn't want someone who's just arrived to be like "Oh btw I'm totally ready to be a Master now" and then we'd have to let them do it.

Not that it's a problem that is happening! I'm just thinking out loud.

TheHolo.Net Admin

Baroness Scorpion #2

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Jenny
    We already have a wee FAQ for padawans: http://sw-fans.net/forum/showpost.ph...66&postcount=2

There is nothing there about masters, though I'm not too worried about new people showing up and become masters, since we're pretty vigilant where new arrivals are concerned

All right! Sounds good. I have done my poking and prodding of secret forums for the day. Thanks for the input!

TheHolo.Net Admin

Baroness Scorpion #2

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Jenny
    If you wanted to add something to that FAQ though, by all means do!

TheHolo.Net Poster

This is not the Empress you're looking for

DragonCon 09
    Has been a member for 5 years or longer

AKA
    Dani
    Yesh when Serena is ready, go for it.

And like Jen, not too concerned with someone laying down the law and crowing themselves Master without defending the reasons why