Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567

Thread: An Offer You Don't Refuse - 9.075

SW-Fans.Net Poster

A larrrge penjisss jisss alwajysss welcome!

Has been a member for 5 years or longer

AKA
    Charley
    Bothawui, or one of her many villas in the Carshoulis Cluster
    She was overwhelmed with her joy, and as the shuttle turned in the distance, she could see the familiar Imperial Gear stamped on it's dorsal fin as it began the wind-down toward landing. Not a particular fan of the Empire, she was never more happy to see them than now.

"They'rre not pjirratess, Ben! They'rre herre to rresscue uss!"

Her body shook with exhaustion as she willed herself to her feet, and she could just manage to drag the batteries. But she happily did it, eager to be reunited with Taurrifar, not a moment too soon.

TheHolo.Net Poster

flying a starship is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put smashball cards in the spokes!

AKA
    Vince
    Take me out to the black, Tell them I ain't comin' back, You can't take the sky from me.
    The shuttle turned and dropped close to their crash site; there wasn't any real room for a landing right next to them. Meorrrei was panting, fatigued and nearly dead on her feet. Ben ignored the sounds of the shuttle offloading its contingent of soldiers and personnel, and ran over to Meorrrei.

"Things aren't looking good," he said, holding her up. "He's got a fever. We have to get him a doctor."

SW-Fans.Net Poster

AKA
    Charley
    "Taurrifar!"

Taataani's voice cracked and rasped as she gasped for her breath. She sagged under her weight, letting Ben support her a moment as the batteries fell from her grasp. What had seemed such a titanic effort was seemingly for little to nothing. It didn't matter. As long as her husband made it, she could walk on the fires of Mustafar for want of water that never came.

Ben's words of trouble caused her to stir. Bloodied and blistered feet pumped against the ground, and she pulled herself from his grasp, falling to the ground as she remembered how to walk again. By now she could see the shuttle gangplank dropping. The first ones out were stormtroopers, but quickly behind were men in white cover-alls, with cases and stretchers.

"He'ss jin therre!"

She waved frantically, pointing at the crash site.

"Mjy hussband! Pleasse!"

Remembering how to at least hobble, she made her way forward, until she herself was intercepted by two medics, immediately bundling her in an insulating blanket.

"Madam Meorrrei? Madam Meorrrei? Please, remain calm."

She fought against them, trying to shed their embrace as she gestured to Taurrifar, as if to make everyone stop and tend to him first.

She looked back at Ben, wild-eyed, as he too was met by medics determined to tend to his trauma.

TheHolo.Net Poster

flying a starship is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put smashball cards in the spokes!

AKA
    Vince
    Take me out to the black, Tell them I ain't comin' back, You can't take the sky from me.
    "He's got an infection in both legs," Ben said quickly, meeting the eyes of the medic and waving him off. The medic's eyes narrowed. "Her husband. He's got a fever, and he's sweating so much the bunk is soaked."

Ben nodded to emphasize the truth in his statements, and the medic nodded, gesturing to his companion and the two rushed into the shuttle, disappearing up the loading ramp and Ben staggered over to Meorrrei and sat down heavily next to her while the stormtroopers fanned out and made a perimeter.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

AKA
    Charley
    "Madam Meorrrei, you have to stay still. You've got advanced hypothermia. We've got to stabilize your core temperature and get you hydrated!"

She finally relaxed at the sight of the medics parcelling up Taurrifar and carefully loading him onto a stretcher. A rack was suspended for an IV, but the intensity of the attention around him didn't waver. She strained to hear.

"...his pulse is flagging..."

"...thirty cc's of dichlorozan..."

"...fluid on the brain..."

"...heartrate irregular..."

She lay on the stretcher they secured her to and shrieked.

"Pleasse! Saanjarra pleasse!"

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Vince
    Ben wasn't laid on a stretcher, though he felt he could have a good lie-down as he watched the medics work on the woman's dying husband.

"Into the shuttle," a stormtrooper ordered shortly, no real room in his discipline and training for sympathy and compassion. Ben followed Meorrrei and laid a hand on her shoulder as she cried.

He couldn't say it would be fine. He wasn't a newcomer to lying, but that sort of empty platitude now was worse than worthless.

He didn't look as the medics pushed the stretchers onto the shuttle; the medics were all but ignoring him now. He sat, at first a couple seats away from where Meorrrei was placed, but she reached out a hand for him, and he moved closer, and grabbed it, following her gaze to her husband, who seemed to notice nothing of what was going on around him.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

AKA
    Charley
    The medics were true to their trade, and had an IV in Taataani's arm quickly. The saline that would help rehydrate her was also met by a sedative at the port, a precaution taken to account for her unpredictability.

Distantly, she could feel it taking hold. Her body's pleas for rest, long-ignored, were becoming persuasive. She felt heavy. The cold lost its bite. Sound lost its sharpness. She could still see Taurrifar plainly as the medics worked. She smiled, feeling the warm embrace of a hand that knew how to hold another. It was his, wasn't it?

Might as well be.

Taataani's pupils dialated as the drug eased her down. Her breathing slowed. She never wavered in her grip on that hand. It was warm and it knew every nuance of what it meant to feel.

"Rrememberr when we..."

She exhaled, a smile on her face a tell-tale sign that she was far from this place. And so was he.

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Vince
    Meorrrei fell asleep, and Ben watched as the medics' fevered pace slowed down, and stopped, both of them placing their instruments down and looking at the male cizerack in silence, before one took the sheet draped over his lower half and pulled it up to cover the whole body.

The other medic noted down the relevant information on a datapad and turned to the pilot, and began checking him over.

"How long have you been down there?" he asked, the shuttle shuddering and lifting off.

"We were down there for two days, I think. I'm not sure. Maybe three. Four?"

Ben let Meorrrei's hand fall to her side and told them everything.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

AKA
    Charley
    In her dreams, there was no pain, no fatigue, and no cold. She saw him as she always saw him when she closed her eyes. The contours of his face so perfectly etched into her sense of the familiar.

They sat under the shade of the bayossa trees, sipping wine, with the softest grass beneath their bare feet.

Eventually she would wake, and he would not. But for now, it was all perfect.

The shuttle carried the survivors and the fallen alike from this world of tragedy. There would be new days to come. Much colder days than they'd known. But they would remember what it was like to run on summer's grass, because remembering took the chill away, if but for a moment.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567