Thread: What are you reading?

TheHolo.Net Admin

Baroness Scorpion #2
    Lesbian Overlord of SWFans

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Jenny

Books What are you reading?

I just finished Mass Effect: Revelation, the prequel to the video game Mass Effect. It's written by Drew Karpyshyn, the guy who did the excellent Darth Bane trilogy. I really envy this guy - he worked on Baldur's Gate, Jade Empire, SW: KOTOR and even the new Old Republic MMORPG.
    Last edited by Dasquian Belargic; Apr 15th, 2012 at 10:56:40 AM.

TheHolo.Net Poster
    Has been a member for 5 years or longer

AKA
    Droo
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: droogydroo
    I just started The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson, only a few chapters in and I love it.

TheHolo.Net Admin

Baroness Scorpion #2

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Jenny
    I have that on my shelf and I tried to get into it a couple of times, but it felt like it was dragging it's heels a lot. I should probably have another go.

TheHolo.Net Poster

flying a starship is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put smashball cards in the spokes!

AKA
    Vince
    Take me out to the black, Tell them I ain't comin' back, You can't take the sky from me.
    I'm reading the badly titled Atheist Delusions by David Bentley Hart, which was actually cheaper than the book it supposedly is supposed to answer (but doesn't) Dawkins's God Delusion. I'll be reading that when I have the money for it.

I pretty much have almost every book written by G. K. Chesterton, and am reading the excellent What I Saw in America. I love Project Gutenberg and I really love this Kindle.

One of my favourite books at the moment is Carrie Fisher's Wishful Drinking, which I've nearly finished. She is hilarious, and lot of her humour comes from being able to laugh at horrible situations, where one can either laugh or cry; she chooses to laugh, largely because she can't remember a lot of what happened in her life before having electroshock therapy done (the part on that is short but also very funny in a 'I know this is horrible' sort of way).

TheHolo.Net Admin

Baroness Scorpion #2

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Jenny
    I knew there was a book I wanted to read but was forgetting - Wishful Drinking! Carrie Fisher's tweets infrequently but when she does it always seems to give me a chuckle. Now, to see if it's available in the Kindle store...

TheHolo.Net Poster

Sssmoke me a kjipperrr, jI'll be back forrr brrreakfassst!

AKA
    Charley
    Rammer Jammer Yellow Hammer is currently about halfway finished on my desk at work. It's a fantastic study of a sort where a journalist follows RV fans at college games to try and understand what drives sports fans. It's a very fun book.

I figure that after I finish that one, I'll probably start on Salman Rushdie's Satanic Verses, since Christin got me a treasure trove of Rushdie novels.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

So, why does everyone keep calling me Mr. Blonde?

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: EquableJarl0 PSN ID: TXViking43
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Merasska View Post
    I pretty much have almost every book written by G. K. Chesterton, and am reading the excellent What I Saw in America.
    I'm reading Chesterton right now myself. "Orthodoxy." English is a little stilted (since it was written in 1908) but I'm enjoying it.

I still need to read The Girl Who Kicked Over a Hornet's Nest and finish Chronicles of Narnia but fiction books aren't interesting me right now.

That said...I have been reading Judge Dredd a lot recently. Good stuff.

TheHolo.Net Admin

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Christin
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: W4BSY Steam ID: ApexLupine
    Currently I'm reading Cleopatra's Daughter.

I need to finish a book of Tolstoy and Misquoting Jesus, then move on to the bulk of Steinbeck I have waiting for me.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

Baby.. I may be blind but what I lack in sight I make up for in sensuality ;)

AKA
    Jenny
    My problem now is that with having a Kindle, I don't have to go to the book shop or wait for books to arrive in the post.. so I am fighting a largely losing battle with my urge to impulse buy a loooottt of books.

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Lilaena Steam ID: jainhollie
    I read the first compodium of The Walking Dead. What a downer.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

DragonCon 09
    I just finished Born To Run by Christopher McDougall and cannot recommend it highly enough. Much like Charley's read, even if you're not a runner (or hell, athletic) it's fantastically engaging; a twisting chronicle of lost tribes, a crazy gringo, the evolutionary footpath and naked, drinking people.

I started Too Close To The Sun: The Audacious Life and Times of Denys Finch Hatton by Sara Wheeler this morning and am about halfway through. Also a great book - I'm loving all the historical/literary connections that the Finch-Hatton family have! For instance, their house was the inspiration for Dickens' Bleak House!

TheHolo.Net Poster

The Scorpion Prince
    Oil my peanuts, you blood-cursed bastards.
    DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Peter
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CrusaderJ11
    I read Atonement latelyand I think this book was really good. This is one of those books that start really slow but then hook you after the first 100 pages and once it is over you want to cry.
    I can only recommend this book to you since I haven't seen the movie yet.

TheHolo.Net Poster

No, Mister Belargic. I expect you to... die.

AKA
    Vince
    Within the darkness just beyond the horizon; behind the shroud that blinds your sight
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: vinceisgreat
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurelias Kazaar View Post
    I'm reading Chesterton right now myself. "Orthodoxy." English is a little stilted (since it was written in 1908) but I'm enjoying it.

I still need to read The Girl Who Kicked Over a Hornet's Nest and finish Chronicles of Narnia but fiction books aren't interesting me right now.

That said...I have been reading Judge Dredd a lot recently. Good stuff.
    Orthodoxy is the book that got me started on Chesterton. He and C. S. Lewis are perhaps the authors I've spent the longest reading due to the way they phrase their sentences and their English.

Are you reading Narnia in the order that they were published (Lion, Witch, Wardrobe) or along the chronological order of the action, The Magician's Nephew being the first?

The next one I'm starting is The Man Who Was Thursday by Chesterton. I've been looking for a online version of Silence by Shusaku Endo but I can't find it anywhere, which makes me sad.

Acacius Blade
    I'm currently re-reading Consider Phlebas by Iain M Banks since it's been ages since I last read it all the way through. AFter that I'll either start the next Culture novel or read one of my most recent purchases - The Wind-up Girl by Paolo Bacigalupi, For The Win by Cory Doctorow and The Temporal Void by Peter F Hamilton. But I just learned the latter is part 2 of a trilogy - damn!

Acacius Blade
    Any Lovecraft fans on here? He hasn't released anything new in a while, I'm just wondering if he has anything new coming out!?!?!?!?!?

TheHolo.Net Admin

Baroness Scorpion #2

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Jenny
    Reading A Game of Thrones aaaagain in anticipation of the TV series starting..

TheHolo.Net Admin

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Christin
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: W4BSY Steam ID: ApexLupine
    I love Lovecraft I don't know if there's any new collections being put out though.

Chaz de Coventina
    Just got This Is WHy You`re Fat (And How To Stay Thin Forever) by Jackie Warner.

After that it`ll be Tony Horton`s new book and then maybe I`ll see what The Hunger Games series is all about.

TheHolo.Net Poster

No, Mister Belargic. I expect you to... die.

AKA
    Vince
    Within the darkness just beyond the horizon; behind the shroud that blinds your sight
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: vinceisgreat
    I just finished The Unsuspecting Mage and Light of Eidon. Too lazy to really remember the authors' names.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

I'm a doctor, not a Jedi, Jim! What you're asking for is impossible! Oh, wait, I am a Jedi.

AKA
    Kaman
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: MiriyaCailis Steam ID: Gyndar
    Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand

Yes, I am. No, I don't care if you didn't like it or don't agree with its philosophy. Let me form my own damn opinion.

Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast