Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Useful Software

TheHolo.Net Poster

The Scorpion Prince
    Oil my peanuts, you blood-cursed bastards.
    DragonCon 09
    Has been a member for 5 years or longer
    AKA
    Peter
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CrusaderJ11
    http://www.erightsoft.com/SUPER.html

If you need a simple, yet very efficient tool to convert (encode) or play any Multimedia file, without reading manuals or spending long hours training, then SUPER © is all you need.
    It is a Multimedia Encoder and a Multimedia Player, easy-to-use with 1 simple click.

This is my solution to everything right now. It is capable to convert nearly everything and the quality of its encoding capability is more than satisfying. It can Ripp DVD, Quicktime and Windows Media files down to DivX without any problems. It is free and it does all the incredible Video Voodoo you might have dreamt about.

SW-Fans.Net Poster
    Summer Box Office Contest 2008 - Winner!
    Try the root stew, you will. Taste good, it does.
    DragonCon 09

Screamer Radio.

This lightweight netradio program has access to thousands of radio channels, and automatically updates database when you start it. It can also record what you are listening as single track MP3s with correct song tag and start / stop time depending on the stream.

Screamer Radio achieves Yog's highly coveted and prestigious "recommended software" award.

.. also, if you are in United States:
    http://www.pandora.com/

Daiquiri
    Ive read through the thread and wonder if theres any new FREE anti trojan/worm downloads. Most of the 'free' downloads Ive found always has this string attached: you can download it for free and run it for free but to remove anything harmful, you have to purchase it

SW-Fans.Net Admin

Good but Damaged Goods

DragonCon 09
    Get NOD32. Yes, it costs money, but it's the only AV aside from Kaspersky that isn't useless. It also has a 30 day trial.

Cat X
    Quote Originally Posted by Morgan Evanar View Post
    Get NOD32. Yes, it costs money, but it's the only AV aside from Kaspersky that isn't useless. It also has a 30 day trial.
    I would second this. it is the only one that actually works with the new threats. AVG has turned to crap.

I would otherwise urge anyone concerned to just simply get off Windows and move to alternatives.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

[insert vespa picture]

Is there a solid program that can remove errors from a computer for cheap or (even better) for free? Advanced Registry Organizer sounds like a solid choice considering they want 30 dollars for the program, but I was wondering if anyone had anything better that they used.

SWFans.Net Poster

Member of the Arbitrary Apostrophe Club
    This one goes up to 11.
    AKA
    Morg
    What sort of errors?

Jaime Tomahawk
    Quote Originally Posted by Wei Wu Wei View Post
    Is there a solid program that can remove errors from a computer for cheap or (even better) for free? Advanced Registry Organizer sounds like a solid choice considering they want 30 dollars for the program, but I was wondering if anyone had anything better that they used.
    Either CrapCleaner or don't bother. Most registry "cleaners" are worth exactly ZERO.

I think your errors are probably something that a program wont fix. As above, exactly what is going on?

TheHolo.Net Poster

No, Mister Belargic. I expect you to... die.

AKA
    Vince
    Within the darkness just beyond the horizon; behind the shroud that blinds your sight
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: vinceisgreat
    I got something similar going on, but I found a useful program in XPtools, though how helpful it might be for you is dependent on whether or not you have XP. You do have to pay for it, but there are ways around almost anything if you look hard enough...

However, I have another problem that I'd like to ask about for those who might know: I've been trying to defragment my computer recently, but it continues to say that it cannot start, whether for analysis or defragmentation. Any tips that can help me out? I'd rather not have to download anything to fix it, but I will if I must.

SW-Fans.Net Admin

Good but Damaged Goods

DragonCon 09
    http://www.emro.nl/freeware/
    JK defrag with a front end. Much better than the built in defragmenter.

TheHolo.Net Poster

No, Mister Belargic. I expect you to... die.

AKA
    Vince
    Within the darkness just beyond the horizon; behind the shroud that blinds your sight
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: vinceisgreat
    Thank you very much!

Kanji
    http://www.launchy.net/

This little program is handy for those who like to use windows shortcuts rather than search around through your start menu for something. What it does is allows you to set up a keystroke combination that when activated, brings up a small input window where you can type in the name of the program you want to launch.

Now, here's the best part. You don't even need to fully spell out the word, hitting the keystroke combination and typing in 'ph' brings up Photoshop for me. Or other strokes like, 'm' brings up Mozilla. 'Thu' brings up Thunderbird, etc.

Handy for shortcut lovers.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

AKA
    Nzat
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Nikita Satach Steam ID: Nzat
    http://www.fiastarta.com/PrtScr/index.html

Little screen grab utility like Microsoft's Snipping Tool. Only this one works on XP. I quite like it. It's made my life easier for inserting screen shots for manuals and presentations.

TheHolo.Net Admin

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Christin
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: W4BSY Steam ID: ApexLupine
    Combofix

I found out about this from a tech at work, and used it to clean out one of my PC's. It's bare bones, and the guys who made it didn't waste any energy in aesthetics, but it's a fantastic tool to have in my opinion and cleaned up the problems on Charley's computer easily.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

Bite that apple, bitch!
    DragonCon 09

Does anyone know of a tiny IM client I can put on my net book? Preferably one that will let me use the built-in cam and mic. TIA!

SW-Fans.Net Poster

Inappropriate for Public Consumption

Quote Originally Posted by Mandy with an I View Post
    Does anyone know of a tiny IM client I can put on my net book? Preferably one that will let me use the built-in cam and mic. TIA!

Pidgen has a very low footprint and uses what the hell you have on your machine.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

Bite that apple, bitch!
    DragonCon 09

nevermind, figured it out. thanks mark.

Okay, it doesn't have any way of using the cam on Pidgin at all. I have the lastest version on my PC :-/ Ended up using the chat within gmail instead.
    Last edited by Mandy with an I; Sep 20th, 2009 at 09:52:11 PM.

SW-Fans.Net Poster
    DragonCon 09

Quote Originally Posted by Mandy with an I View Post
    Okay, it doesn't have any way of using the cam on Pidgin at all. I have the lastest version on my PC :-/ Ended up using the chat within gmail instead.
    Videochat is currently under development for Pidgin, so you will probably see that in a future version. I assume you were looking a for a multi platform chat client that allows you to use MSN, AIM, yahoo, ICQ or whatever all at once? Well, the problem with that is, because all of these protocols use different standards for video conferencing, it is very time consuming to implement them all into one client such as Pidgin, and that is why it is not available yet.

Trillian Pro 3.0 does just that (multiplatform and video support), but it's not free.

.. or, you could use MSN, AIM, yahoo or whatever in vanilla software mode, and then you have access to webcam.

The best free videochat software right now is probably Skype. You might consider having that running beside your text chat client for now.

Btw, here is a feature list for chat clients. You can see which ones have support for webcam:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compari...ients#Features
    Last edited by Yog; Sep 21st, 2009 at 05:19:55 AM.

SW-Fans.Net Poster
    DragonCon 09

Flashblocking is a good way to improve the speed and stability of your browser, plus you get rid of annoying flash ads and other auto-playing nuisances. You also get rid of flash security exploits.

"But.. but.. YouTube! My flash tetris game!"

You can still use YouTube and view / play any other flash content, you silly cat. Flashblocking merely prevents stuff from autoloading, which is the kind of thing that can crash your browser, or cause stuff to behave retardedly slow. Instead, there will be a fast loading placeholder graphic you can click, and THEN it loads the flash content. Try it. If you don't like it, turn it off. Thank me later.

Firefox
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/433/

Opera 10.5 and later:
    opera:config#UserPrefs|EnableOnDemandPlugin
    Check Enable On Demand, click "save".

Google Chrome:
    https://chrome.google.com/extensions...hiilgffbjijcie

IE users - damnit, use a real browser already. But if you're so stubborn:
    http://www.ie7pro.com/ad-blocker.html

SW-Fans.Net Poster

A larrrge penjisss jisss alwajysss welcome!

AKA
    Charley
    Bothawui, or one of her many villas in the Carshoulis Cluster
    Is there any decent DVD ripper, with a bent especially for converting to mobile devices like phones and such? Everything I find seems to be a trial version of pay software.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast