Thread: Upon Pillars of Salt, Pillars of Sand

SW-Fans.Net Poster

The Baroness of Bespin

Has been a member for 5 years or longer
    AKA
    Jenny

Upon Pillars of Salt, Pillars of Sand

NOTORIOUS TERRORIST FINALLY CAPTURED

The Galactic News Network is pleased to report the successful arrest of a man ranked highly upon the Galactic Empire's Most Wanted list of criminals. Believed to be a ringleader amongst the insurgent group known as 'The Rebel Alliance', Dasquian Belargic was apprehended during an attempt to force entry into the private residence of recently appointed Truth Minister, Sanya Tagge.

“It was a most distressing experience,” Minister Tagge told a GNN reporter, providing a statement from her office on Coruscant earlier this morning. “I woke up in the middle of the night and decided to go downstairs and pour myself a glass of blue milk – only to find a masked man had forced his way into my home, and was in the process of ransacking my belongings.”

Refusing to become a victim to violence or sexual assault, Minister Tagge took matters into her own hands. “I did the only thing I could do, when faced with an intruder into my home – I fought back. If it wasn't for the lessons I learned as part of the Sub-Adult Group, I don't think I would have stood a chance, but thankfully I was able to disarm the Rebel attacker before any real damage could be done. Still.. it scares me to think how differently things might have happened if not for the Sub-Adult Groups involvement in my upbringing.”

Though the Empress Tarkin has yet to pass public comment on the arrest, Gallus Tagge - Imperial consort and Baron of House Tagge - had the following to say: “It's disgusting to think what lengths these people will go to. Not content with targeting our military and economic hubs, now they want to invade our homes? The family home should be a place of security and safety. It's terrorism, plain and simple - and a cowardly kind, at that.”

Government intelligence also indicates that Belargic may possess some ties to the monarchy of the Hapes Consortium. Though no delegate from the Consortium could be reached to offer a statement on this story, it seems unlikely – at this stage – that any action will be taken against the Consortium, as it is believed Belargic was acting on behalf of the traitorous and volatile Rebel Alliance.
    The Procurator of Justice has released reports detailing Belargic's past offenses, which include aggravated assault, murder in the first and second degree, grand theft, fraud, trespass, and acting as an accessory to high treason. It is expected that Belargic will face each of these charges, and more besides, when he is brought before Imperial Court later this week. Until then, he will be held in an undisclosed and high security location, to await trial.

More on this story as it develops...

SW-Fans.Net Poster

Call me... Sassypants.

AKA
    TOP SECRET DANI
    Rebellion Fleet - Somewhere in the Lannik Sector

"MS. Van-derveld! Stop!! Please?" Protocol designated C-9VP, or affectionately called Veepid by the Rebels, was hot on the heels of Assistant Director Grace Van-Derveld. His pleas were falling upon deaf ears ever since she stalked past his post without asking if she were even allowed to see the Advisory Council. It had been very rude of her! She didn't even utter a hello!

"You do not have an appointment and they are currently in session. I am sure that Mrs. Starborn will be delighted to see you once they break."

Grace ignored him and anyone else that got in her way. Her face bordered on crazed and eyes cast blaster bolts in everyone's direction that came near. A poor Gran had stopped in his tracks and slunk his head down in apology since he almost made her stop.

Time was ticking away and a plan had to be discussed now on how to get Director Belargic back.

One last turn and the brown colored durasteel doors of the boardroom were finally in sight. One of the human secretaries that Grace didn't recognize stood up and tried to reason with her. She had received a quick text through her console that Van-Derveld was on the warpath again. The last time this happened, Grace had blasted Veepid at point blank range when the poor protocol droid had grabbed her arm before it could reach the access panel.

Veepid's memory of that incident had been wiped away and the secretary shooed him away before it happened again. She was a squat older lady with grey hair pinned up in a bun and a voice that could curl milk. "Agent please. This display is highly unnecessary. They will be breaking in 30 minutes. I promise that you'll have a chance to ... Sigh..."

She snapped her fingers and two security guards blocked Grace's path. "As I said. You'll have to wait this time."

Not missing a beat, Grace snapped her arm up at the first guard and landed a palm strike to his nose, breaking it. The other guard tried to use the butt of his rifle to knock Van-Derveld unconscious, but she kicked it aside and punch him dead in the face with a left hook before opening the access panel without breaking a sweat.

She stalked inside to every single member of the Advisory Council snapping their necks towards her direction. Their looks were a mixture of shock for those that were new on the Council, annoyance and anger from the older ones.

Sliding between two seated members, Grace placed either hand on the table and leaned forward, matching Celeste Starborn's heated stare. "We need to talk and I'm quite sure you know why."
    Last edited by Miranda Tarkin; Dec 20th, 2008 at 10:56:34 AM.

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Jenny
    “Van-Derveld... we weren't expecting you for another hour,” said the woman upon whom Grace was leveling her fierce glare.

The members of the Alliance Advisory Council were seated around an octagonal table, an array of data flimsies and dossiers laid out before them. The seven individuals present represented those planets who had given the greatest number of lives in the battle against the Empire. The empty seat was reserved for the Chief of State, Mon Razien, who was not present at this particular meeting. On either side of where Grace stood were the delegates from Ithor and Mon Calamari, whose fish-eyes were wide in shock.

“How we may be of assistance to you, Director Van-Derveld?” the representative from Ithor asked as he turned to regard the human at his side, his words slow and his temperament serenely calm and polite in spite of the agents boisterous arrival, his demeanor a direct contrast to hers. The Ithorian, then, made a slow gesture towards the empty seat at the table. “Please, join us.”

SW-Fans.Net Poster

Call me... Sassypants.

AKA
    TOP SECRET DANI
    Ithorian sincerity was well known throughout the galaxy and it should have helped calm Van-Derveld down like it had always done in the past. She had often looked to Delegate Ixgis Habas for understanding and support, and the Ithorian often gave it.

But today, his words were troubling. The way he addressed her only angered her further. "No thank you," she said politely to Habas before returning her steely gaze at Starborn. "I won't accept the company of this Council who has freely given me a promotion because they've written off my partner."

She glanced around the table and looked to every member, appalled by their callousness. "How could you!?! Director Belargic has lived by the creed that no one gets left behind. Something you all have supported, but when it's him, you've abandoned him!"

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Jenny
    News of Belargic's capture was being broadcast throughout the Galaxy, far and wide. Whilst the Empire sung praises for its own vigilance and victory, the Alliance had moved just as quickly to counteract any further damage to the cause. That, unfortunately, included cutting off Dasquian Belargic from the organization.

Around the eight-sided table, reactions from the Council to Grace's words were mixed. The Bothan lowered his eyes, tapping at a data-pad with a stylus pen. The white-clad official from Chandrila looked sympathetic, yet did not speak, whilst the Mon Cal continued to look baffled. Evidently, such hot-headed discussions were not common in the chambers of the Advisory Council.

“The Council has reached its final decision,” Celeste Starborn said, when it became obvious that no one else was eager to volunteer a reply. “Ordinarily, a rescue team would be dispatched to retrieve agents taken into Imperial custody – but this is no ordinary situation.”

“One does not simply walk into the Imperial City,” the Bothan interjected, his eyes lifting at last as he gave one final tap to his datapad. “Sending a retrieval mission to Coruscant is tantamount to signing their death warrants.”

SW-Fans.Net Poster

Call me... Sassypants.

AKA
    TOP SECRET DANI
    "Then I'll lead the team myself," she snapped quickly and before anyone could interject, Grace continued. "It was our mistake for what happened and I realize that you're not punishing him because of it. You are doing what you feel is right, but it doesn't mean we have to give up because something seems unattainable!"

She relaxed her posture and began walking around the table so she could see everyone's face. "For the record, we have sent Agents into the heart of Imperial Center who were successful in extraction or assassination. This would be no different. I'll take full responsibility and take only volunteers."
    Last edited by Miranda Tarkin; Dec 20th, 2008 at 12:59:55 PM.

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Jenny
    “Losing one agent is deeply unfortunate, but to lose others?”

It was the Chandrilan who spoke first this time, shaking his head. The sadness in his eyes was sincere.

“Penetrating the Empire at it's core is not impossible, no – but it is improbable,” the Bothan continued. “We have reason to believe that Belargic is being held in the offices of the Inquisitoriate. You may recall the last prisoner held in the so-called Citadel was the Jedi Knight Zabian Bal-Wandler. Even the Force could not save him.”

“Torrsk Oruo'rel is correct,” Celeste Starborn added, with a gesture towards the Bothan.

“We will not sanction any mission to Coruscant. Not without sufficient intelligence – and at this point in time, what we know wouldn't help us find our way out of a paper bag, let alone locate and retrieve a missing agent. We simply don't have the information or resources necessary.”

SW-Fans.Net Poster

Call me... Sassypants.

AKA
    TOP SECRET DANI
    Starborn wasn't going to budge. She knew that ice queen all too well. It was disheartening hearing the echoed statements from the representatives of Chandrila and Bothawui. Grace would have sworn that the Bothans would have been eager to help.

"And this comes from the Bothans who did the nigh impossible. Finding the Death Star plans."

Oruo'rel's nose visibly twitched at the accusation. "Many lives were at stake. You cannot compare one life with the fate of billions."

"One life or a billion is it now? All life is sacred, Oruo'rel." Grace's eyes lit up in understanding and she paused in her stride, sneering down at the Bothan. "Or did we start the number counting after our heavy losses at Endor."

She was bold with her anger, but Grace knew how to focus it. "Solo, Organa, Calrissian, and Skywalker would never abandon their allies! They saved General Solo in the clutches of Jabba the Hutt after enough Intel was found. I'm only asking for the same courtesy, but you are all too afraid to try!"

She turned and pointed out Niev Minetii of Sullust. "But Belargic was not afraid during the uprising against the Empire on your Homeworld. He helped orchestrate a good portion of the strategy that led to Sullustan freedom."

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Jenny
    Niev Minetii of Sullust had been particularly quiet thus far, and having considered Grace's words could do nothing other than agree. “Dasquian Belargic risked life and limb to help our people, before our world was even a part of the Alliance. If there is anyway we can repay his bravery, we must do so.”

Oruo'rel all but rolled his eyes at the naivety he perceived in the room. “Idealism is all good and well in theory, but it will not win us this war. If I were in the same position as Belargic, I would hope that the Alliance would have the dignity and foresight to realize when to back down, instead of pursuing a course that - whilst morally satisfying on the surface - can only lead to further loss of life, something we cannot afford to spare in these trying times... not to mention the possibility of captured agents divulging restricted information.”

The Mon Cal had finally gathered his wits enough to offer an opinion of his own. “The Empire will be expecting us to go after Belargic. Security will be impregnable, especially given the ascension of the new Empress.”

Celeste Starborn said nothing. Her hands remained folded on the table in front of her, as she watched Grace prowling about the room, like a caged animal.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

Call me... Sassypants.

AKA
    TOP SECRET DANI
    "I appreciate how grave the situation is with the new Empress, Tukphen. Yes security is tight, but I find it more probable that the Empire will think that we'll cut our losses then come looking for Belargic. To me that means we have surprise on our side. They won't expect a small team. They're probably expecting a much larger response. Holes will be found and exploited."

Grace turned to the last member of the Council that had yet to speak. "Madame Longstar, I know it was Belargic and I that helped prevent the Imperials from destroying the mines in Kolene and revealed a traitor within Coronet that was secretly staging a coup for the Empire."

Her eyes had grown tired from so much anger at the deaf ears in this room, but still she tried. "Tell me Corellian bravado has not died out and you'll help him."

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Jenny
    Celeste frowned slightly. The Corellians were notorious for their belief that nothing was impossible – and in fact actively pursued any goal labeled as such, if only to be contrary and defiant. The Council was fortunate in the fact that Leeadra Longstar was not as headstrong as some of the men and women she represented, yet there was no denying she was a Corellian all the same. Her clothing was marked with yellow piping, a sign that she had been awarded second-class Corellian Bloodstripes for service in the military. Only the very gallant – and arguably foolish – of Corellians wore the 'stripes and wore them with pride. She was easily the most emotionally vulnerable (and volatile) of the group and Van-Derveld knew it.

“I want to help, Grace – but I'm only one woman amongst many. The Alliance is a democratic body and if the majority elects against sending troops to Coruscant...”

Longstar glanced around the table. How many of the delegates present truly wanted to put their own soldiers on the line in the name of one man? Some of the planets represented were under partial Imperial occupation and any kind of dissension could have dire ramifications, Corellia included. With the utter destruction of Alderaan, the Empire had already made perfectly clear how little they valued life; Leeadra didn't doubt that if it was within their power, they'd exact similar vengeance on which world was seen to be publicly supporting the liberation of a 'terrorist'.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

Call me... Sassypants.

AKA
    TOP SECRET DANI
    The majority hath spoken and Grace stiffened in her stance. It wasn't often that she had been overruled, and she didn't take defeat well at all. She understood their fear but could not accept their cowardice.

"Every day that the Empire controls the majority of the galaxy is a day that millions are forced into slavery, or worse; killed in work camps as they build weapons and ships and droids for the great Imperial Armed Forces.

All I asked was for a small team and time to go after him. But you presume my loyalty to Belargic would have clouded my judgment and doomed the mission before I even set foot off this ship," she said with a scowl, directing her enmity to their ringleader, Starborn. "But I guess we'll never know, hmm?"
    Last edited by Miranda Tarkin; Dec 20th, 2008 at 02:29:20 PM.

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Jenny
    The scowl was not returned. Celeste remained impassive, cold, yet something in the way she pushed her shoulders back as she spoke hinted at the bristling irritation beneath the surface.

“The Empire turned my home-world to space-dust. They captured my husband... tortured him until he gave them the information they desired, and then killed him in cold blood. Now, every day, my daughter and nephew throw themselves into the firing line on behalf of your Intelligence department, heedless of their own well-being. Do not presume to talk to me of loss, of death and sacrifice, Grace Van-Derveld, as if they are alien to me. They are bedfellows I know only too well.”

SW-Fans.Net Poster

Call me... Sassypants.

AKA
    TOP SECRET DANI
    Grace's eyes only narrowed further. It was the wrong thing to say. She would not be made out as some heartless woman that cared nothing more then the present and didn't appreciate the sacrifices that had come before her. "We may have had our disagreements Starborn, and you know I sympathize with your losses. We have both endured far too much then anyone should because of the Empire, and that's why you of all people here should have let me go," she retorted, her nostrils seething lightly from being provoked.

She had nothing more to say and her eyes softened in defeat as Grace looked to the rest of the Council with a deep breath. No words would come except those out of anger, and that would accomplish nothing.

There were still sympathetic looks from those that supported her, but Oruo'rel continued to glare at her with contempt. It was just going to be all pointless bickering between her and the Council, so it was time to leave and she did so tactfully, not wishing to give certain members more ammunition for the private session of condemnation upon her person.
    Last edited by Miranda Tarkin; Dec 20th, 2008 at 03:07:26 PM.

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Jenny
    The doors slid closed behind Grace and someone in the meeting room breathed a sigh.

Torrsk Oruo'rel set down his pad and pen, and shook his head. “It continues to confuse me, that Mon Razien should want such a sentimental woman in charge of something as shrewd as Alliance Intelligence. Following emotion, instinct, whim – that's precisely what the Jedi do, and look where it got them.”

Ixgis Habas held up a hand and spoke in his ever-slow voice, the pace of which infuriated Torrsk at times. “We must not be too quick to judge Director Van-Derveld.”

“Regardless, she should be monitored closely from now on,” Oruo'rel replied, his tone almost snapping. He held no love for Grace and was of the mind that even a third-rate Bothan spy could out-class her.

“She may surprise you yet, Torrsk,” Kameis Sallian – the Chandrilan – suggested, playing the mediator. “Her success rate is one of the highest the Alliance has ever known. She and Belargic were capable of great things.”

The Council fell into a thoughtful silence then. Their business for the day was concluded and each was considering, in their minds, how best to adapt to what had been decided. For some, it seemed the loss of Dasquian Belargic was of little consequence. Another spy could take his place and though the loss of him would be something to mourn, life would go on. Like Skywalker, Solo and the others, he had left a mark – but they had no choice but to go on without him.

When the session was adjourned, the delegates went their separate ways, to the quarters they kept on board the ship. Ixgis Habas plodded towards the ships laboratories, where new strains of bacta were being tested. Kameis Sallian and Tukphen continued a private discussion their own, regarding trade routes. Leeadra Longstar was the only one to try and find Grace Van-Derveld.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

Call me... Sassypants.

AKA
    TOP SECRET DANI
    Grace, too, had returned to her quarters. The long trek had gone on in silence, the meeting with the Advisory Council still tasted bitter upon her tongue. Normally one to at least acknowledge fellow Rebels with a respectful, albeit crisp nod, her countenance was intensified by back to back failure. First with loosing Belargic and now with the Alliance refusing aid.

Her underlying sense of duty was being questioned due to her close relationship with Dasquian Belargic. It was no secret that the two forged a deep bond with one another based upon mutual respect and admiration. Both had saved each others life more times then they might admit as professionals, but it was within those few precious moments of sacred downtime that a friendship budded slowly.

Trust in her team had developed slowly with Grace but it was necessary, otherwise the mission would never succeed with doubt and suspicion of your Operatives. But to actually open oneself up to the possibility of trusting one individual and allowing your defenses to lower over the years? Grace would have scoffed at such sentimental dren. Yet he had found a way to chip away at her armor with his genuine selflessness, levity (though that often caused many an eye to roll), and his compassion towards her every day since they had first met on Corulag.

And now he was gone.

The door slid closed to her quarters and she could no longer keep up the cold facade. Her legs felt rubbery and a wave of dizziness came suddenly. She had been running high on adrenaline, flying to the fleet with little food or sleep and now she was paying the price.

She fell back against the doors, clutching at her face when the first sob was choked out. That little escape of weakness infuriated her. The trash cylinder nearby was vaulted across the room with a reckless kick, denting the wall and littering garbage along the floor. She fought back a mindless punch towards the wall, instead clutching at her hair.

How could she go on without him? Dasquian had been her rock for years and every day he remained captured was another chance that they might execute him! They certainly had enough reason and would too, the moment they realize that he'll never talk. He would never betray the Rebellion like that bastard Shoashian!

But still Grace panicked as she sat down on the couch, hand over mouth and eyes full of tears that reflected so many moments of regrets and what ifs. Because until the precise moment that the Imperial prison ship Timely had vanished into hyperspace, the Rebel was unaware that she was in love with Belargic. Now only the Force knew if she would ever have another moment with him to ever tell him, or find out if he felt the same ...

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Jenny
    A short while later, there was a soft knock at the door to Grace quarters. Longstar stood outside, with her aide waiting a few steps behind at her heels. She glanced back to the younger woman, who gave a sympathetic little half-shrug. Leeadra hesitated for a moment and then knocked a little louder.

“Van-Derveld? Are you in there? It's Leeadra Longstar. Apologies if I'm interupting...”

SW-Fans.Net Poster

Call me... Sassypants.

AKA
    TOP SECRET DANI
    Grace stiffened in shock and her head snapped to the front door. "Who the hell?"

Another knock.

“Van-Derveld? Are you in there? It's Leeadra Longstar. Apologies if I'm interupting...”

"Dren!" she hissed and wiped the tears away from her eyes before hitting the two way comm. "Just a minute!"

Quickly picking up the trash cylinder, she pushed a table in front of the mess on the floor that had a nice tall peace lily, which just barely covered the dent in the wall.

Setting down the container, the doors slid open and Grace looked back and forth between Longstar and her aid. "You wanted to see me?" she said stiffly.

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Jenny
    Leeadra hesitated. It didn't take a Jedi to feel that Grace was... unsettled. Longstar's aid recognised the necessity to keep herself occupied and so focused her attention, unwaveringly, on one of the data-pads she was carrying.

“Would it be alright if I came in.. just for a minute or two?”

SW-Fans.Net Poster

Call me... Sassypants.

AKA
    TOP SECRET DANI
    Grace took a step outside to look left and then right, seeing if there were anyone else taking an interest in this conversation. When she stepped back to look Longstar in the eye, the Spy wasn't entirely satisfied that the Corellian Representative was acting on her own volition.

"If you wish," she said, stepping away so that the two women could enter.
    Last edited by Miranda Tarkin; Dec 22nd, 2008 at 04:08:56 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast