Page 1 of 14 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: Years From Now...

TheHolo.Net Poster

Has been a member for 5 years or longer
    Where? More like when... crazy ass wormholes.

Open Thread Years From Now...

'In the years following the cataclysmic Battle of Endor, we did not foresee the coming of something that would surpass the destruction wrought by the Death Star... but we were wrong. In these dark times, it did not seem that the leaders of the Galaxy sought peace – rather, only desired a short reprieve between one war and the next. Always there were, in creation, new and more maddening devices of destruction.'

~ excerpt from the Journal of the Whills, 6:7145

Rain lashed the shores of Orotoru G'am. Though the ocean-world of Dac – or Mon Calamari as it was more commonly known – was no stranger to storms, this particular torrent was putting all others to shame. It was Endor Day, the day that memorialized in the minds of the masses the losses sustained by both the Rebel Alliance and the Galactic Empire at the Battle of Endor. Twenty-two years later and the tides of war had still not subsided, only stilled a while in truce.

To honor the memory of those who had been lost, on both sides, the Calamarian Council and chiefs of the Galactic Alliance had commissioned a number of additions to the Hall of Heroes, favoring these somber plaques over audacious parading and galas. Although the Alliance had made substantial gains on the Empire, establishing footholds throughout the Galaxy and winning the support of billions now free from Imperial disenchantment, it was far too early for celebration. The battle might have been over, but the war certainly was not.

A week prior to the unveiling of the new additions – which included a number of busts, elegy's and holographic tributes – a sleek yacht had arrived from the Alliance hub-world of Denon. Numbered amongst the ships passengers were men and women who had served with diligence and passion in the Galactic Civil War; veterans of the infamous Rogue Squadron, graying Generals of the Alliance military and the former Director of Rebel Intelligence:

“Chancellor Belargic...”

There was a knock at the door, soft beneath the continuous patter of rain. Dasquian glanced up from the datapad he had been engrossed in. The door swung open and he narrowed his eyes against the light that spilled in from the hallway. A severe, sallow-faced man stood in the corridor. He had a look about him that made Dasquian's stomach tighten, the now all-too-familiar look that suggested bad news was on the horizon.

“Apologies for the late intrusion, Chancellor. You have a guest.”

Belargic felt some of the weight easing from his shoulders and allowed himself a small smile as a young woman pushed by the pale-faced messenger. Her arms were folded over her chest, an incredulous smirk on her face, one eyebrow arched. “I have to request an audience with you now?”

The Chancellor's smile grew. “Hello, Bryna.”

The white-faced aide excused himself, leaving father and daughter alone. Closing the door behind her, Bryna ambled over to where her father was sitting and peeked curiously at what was on his desk. He seemed to be spending all of his time in front of that desk.

“What are you up to, sitting here alone in the dark?” she asked, laying a hand on his shoulder.

“I'm working on my speech,” Dasquian sighed.

Still?” She shook her head. “It's just a speech. It doesn't need to be perfect.”

“I know... but I've got nothing else to do. We can't go outside in this weather without catching flu.”

Bryna frowned, looking to the window pane. The storm wasn't showing any signs of letting up.

Silence held for a moment.

“When's mum getting here?” the girl asked.

“Sometime today, hopefully. They're having some trouble with communications because of the weather, so we haven't been able to get into contact with her shuttle – but she should be here soon.”

Bryna perched on the edge of her fathers desk. The Alliance envoy had been delayed already, on numerous occasions. Every day, for the past week, Dasquian had assured her that her mother would be here soon. After all, she had come from Vortex especially to see them both and found her mother virtually missing in action and her father, albeit present physically, mentally a million miles away. It was not the family reunion she had envisaged, but that in itself was not unexpected. It was a difficult time for them both, and for everyone really. In the quiet, Bryna sighed and looked out into the cloud-filled skies. Barely visible in the distance, a small ship passed into the atmosphere.

Director Belargic
    The Calamari shuttle passed through the atmosphere unhindered by any check points or communication inquiries. The pilots had already transmitted the clearance code allowing them ease of passage, for the Director of Alliance Intelligence was expected.

Grace's stone face stared out the rain beaten window into the raging storm outside. The winds were powerful, lashing up the oceans high and causing them to crash into the rocky shores. Skies were filled with dark angry clouds with no sign of the storm letting up.

It fit her mood perfectly. What was to be a joyous occasion, a reunion with her daughter and husband, had become a nightmare while in transit.

Damnable Imps! You never learn ...

"Madame Director, are you sure you don't want us to inform the Chancellor of your arrival?" Dasquian's aide was too detailed about appointments and proper etiquette. "It's rather ... unprecedented."

"I'm his wife. Not to mention an Alliance Spy. I could have simply snuck in and you'd be none the wiser," she said with a gruff voice that most of her subordinates were all used to. "I only informed your staff to be polite."

They turned down the hallway leading to the Chancellor's private office and Grace shooed the man away. "I can take care of the rest. You can leave now."

He nodded, begrudgingly, and did as he was told. In truth, Grace didn't want the man here to watch her be nervous. It had been over six months since she had seen her daughter, but the regiment of Jedi training often caused such long distance of time between them.

There was also the other matter that caused Grace to feel out of sorts. All too often she was the barer of bad news, but what had happened on Coruscant was diabolical and hadn't hit the holonet yet. The Imperials were keeping it under wraps for as long as they could ...

She abated the nervousness with a quick tug of her uniform jacket and entered the Chancellor's chamber without any announcement; eyes instantly melting at the sign of her daughter.

TheHolo.Net Poster

Thinking that the opening door would be another unwelcome interference from one of her fathers many aides, Bryna was about to protest when she turned and saw who was standing in the threshold, dripping wet yet somehow still aglow. Springing up from her perch, and scattering some papers in the process, Bryna threw herself into her mothers arms. “What took you so long?! Where have you been?!”

Director Belargic
    Holding Bryna in her arms after so many months away from home brought great pleasure to Grace. She hadn't truly smiled in so long, but having her family reunited gave her some peace, even if it were for a short time.

"Bryna ..." she said softly, petting her daughter's hair and ignoring her questions for now. "I've missed you dearly too."

Over the young Jedi's shoulder, Grace betrayed a smirk as her husband was left to watch his organized paperwork fluttered to the ground in a mess.

Chancellor Belargic
    “Hello, stranger. We were beginning to think you wouldn't come.”

Dasquian returned Grace's smirk with one of his own, apparently calm in spite of the destruction of his meticulously stacked pile of papers.

“Thank the Force it didn't come to sending Bryna out to look for you,” he added, tongue firmly in cheek.

TheHolo.Net Poster

Still clinging cheerfully to her mother, Bryna rolled her eyes.

“Says you... I doubt you could find your way out of a paper bag, you've been stuck in here so long.”

She matched her fathers expression with a defiant smile of her own, before turning back to Grace. She led the somewhat sodden Director over to a long sofa behind Dasquian's desk. She kept tight a hold of her mothers hands as they sat down opposite one another, as if she expected Grace to vanish if she wasn't held down.

“I'm so glad you're here at last. I've got so much to tell you! How are you? Was the trip okay?”

Director Belargic
    The Director's mood quickly turned sour. She squeezed Bryna's hands as reassurance that she weren't going anywhere, but her gaze was focused on her husband. He knew that look all too well. The steely gaze of hard truth that Grace could easily tell of that would usually choke up the former Director. It was why he was the Politician now. His heart was far bigger then hers could ever be.

"The reason for my delay ... There was news from Coruscant. Several of my spies transmitted information to me that forced me to act." As she continued with the news, Grace's eyes turned cold, filled with hatred and her tone became increasingly harsher. The Imperials were working on some sort of biological agent to use against us. But it backfired. An explosion occurred killing many innocents, but was worse is that the agent spilled into the general populace. The details are sketchy here but citizens became infected and grew very violent and destructive."

Her nostrils flared with contempt. "The bastards gunned them down like animals and are still trying to cover it up. Last I heard it was still not contained and spreading."

She had to let go of Bryna's hands, not wanting to hurt her daughter inadvertently.

Chancellor Belargic
    Coruscant... they had fought long and hard for it. For all its short-comings, it was the center of civilization and the home of the Republic. Dasquian could not help but feel that the state of the Galaxy as a whole could be judged on the state of Coruscant alone, as though the vast city were a microcosm of the rest of the universe. If that was the case, then they were all in a lot of trouble.

“We knew this was coming,” he sighed.

Though they had no way of predicting where and when, the Alliance knew that the Empire would soon be preparing for another attack. The development of biological weaponry was as sure a sign as they could ever think to have. Just when they had thought the Empire could stoop no lower, the Emperor proved them wrong...

“Has anyone been dispatched to Coruscant?”

TheHolo.Net Poster

A frown colored the Jedi Padawan's expression, lips turning sternly down at the corners. One of the Jedi Masters had foreseen some darkness looming on the horizons, but had been unable to place the precise source of the disturbance in the Force. Now, suddenly, that haze of uncertainty had cleared to reveal a startling and horrifying reality.

Bryna shifted restlessly for a second, then snapped upright, on her feet.

“We have to help them... I need to warn Master Tarkin and the rest of the Council.”

Director Belargic
    Tarkin. That name was still infamous to this day. Wilhuff Tarkin had destroyed Alderaan and his granddaughter, Miranda Tarkin, had become just as insidious and merciless as Palpatine himself. Perhaps even more ... Miranda had become Empress and a very powerful Sith Master.

Bryna's Master, Navaria Tarkin, was Miranda's twin sister and had killed the Empress in quite the epic battle on Korriban, the tombs of the ancient Sith Lords trembled under the wake of the twins struggle.

Grace held no fondness for the Jedi Master. Ever the noble Jedi she was, her heritage was too entwined with the Empire's for her own liking. Still, her daughter was right. The Council needed to be informed of what was happening.

"Yes, you should leave immediately," she said with a touch of sorrow. Grace stood to hug Bryna's shoulders softly. "And as always with the way of things, we must part so quickly."

Chancellor Belargic
    Watching Bryna's transition from gleeful child to sullen adult was saddening and yet at the same time it affirmed Dasquian's suspicions that his daughter was growing up to be a conscientious and rational minded young woman with far too much of her mothers ways in her character for her own good. Although it was plain to see that the girl was deeply disappointed at missing out on spending time with her mother, Bryna had fully internalized the selfless ethic of the Jedi Order and as such didn't think twice about abandoning the family reunion to rush back to the Jedi Council.

Lifting a communicator from his desk, Dasquian ordered the nearest 'port to prepare a shuttle. This done, he stood up and walked to Bryna, giving her a firm squeeze on the shoulder.

“Make us proud.”

TheHolo.Net Poster

In one final show of unrestrained emotion, Bryna embraced her father and mother tightly, in one big hug. Stepping back, her eyes lingered on her mothers face. She exhaled heavily then nodded firmly, to herself. “I'll see you soon... take care, and may the force be with you.”

Not wanting to say 'goodbye', she quickly turned away and hurried out of the room before her heart got the better of her head. Back in her own room, she played a short tug of war with the idea of asking her parents to come with her to the spaceport, to send her on her way... but she knew they had more important things to do now. She didn't resent them one bit it, it had always been that way. Although as a very young girl it had hurt to feel second to someone or something else, as she had matured she had come to realize that everything they did, they did for her good – and for the good of every other living being in the galaxy. With this thought in mind and her traveling bag packed, Bryna hurried out of the presidential residence and towards the spaceport – she had a shuttle to catch.

Cloud City, Bespin

"Teagan!" Mac shouted, putting on a burst of speed to try to catch up to the blonde who was disappearing into the crowds at the Port of Entry. Damn that girl!

He paused as he lost her completely, running a tanned hand over his close cropped hair. "I am so not in the mood for hide and seek, dammit." Turning around, Mac scanned the people around him, their scents strange to his sensitive nose. Completing a three-sixty, he caught a whiff of a familiar floral scent, and pushed his way between beings towards it.

At nineteen, Mac Ravenwing was tall and well proportioned, and already a pilot of no small repute. He'd taken Teagan along on his last transport run deep into the Core (which neither of their mothers knew anything about, thank the lords) and they had a few days to kill off before he had to make his next trip.

A few days to kill most certainly meant a good time romping around Cloud City, but right now he was exhausted and wanted to find a room to rent. Teagan had said something about having the best place in mind, and had run off. As per usual. Trying to pin her down was like trying to catch the wind.

And he wouldn't have it any other way. Mac trudged along, his boots dragging as he shifted his rucksack to the other shoulder. Palming his commlink, he tried to raise her electronically.

and brother fought against brother

SW-Fans.Net Admin

Good but Damaged Goods

DragonCon 09
    It had taken him many, many years, but gradually Morgan was able to listen to the currents of the Galaxy much like his wife and many of the other Jedi. There had been times where he had been roused from a pleasant dream for an emergency and he was one of the few with no solid idea why. Tonight was not one of those nights. Morgan and Rhianna shared a troubled gaze before hastily throwing on something more appropriate than the sheets they were under. Morgan yawned as he pulled on a pair of pants and plain t-shirt. Rhianna slipped into a blue robe. Her wavy red hair cascaded down past her shoulders.

Today their children were sleeping with the rest of the younglings, and it was Rhianna's turn to stay with Morgan, a luxury only experienced for two days a week, if he was there. Morgan rubbed his face as they hurried to the council chambers. More Jedi filed into the room.

“Do we know what has happened yet?” Morgan asked. He hoped one of the more intuitive Jedi would field a solid answer.

Master Nytherciria
    The assembled Jedi looked to one-another anxiously. It was not a time in which definite answers were easily achieved. The paranoia and unease created by the escalating cold war between the Empire and the Alliance had made divining the future of the Galaxy nigh-impossible. Uncertainty seemed to cloud everything and even the most adept of clairvoyants saw only vague shapes and portents of what might be.

Jedi Master Daria Nytherciria was amongst those largely in the dark.

“The hub,” she said. “It seems to be emanating from the Core Worlds. So... sudden.”

Her brow furrowed, blind eyes seeing more than most knew.

“Coruscant?”

TheHolo.Net Poster

This is not the Empress you're looking for

DragonCon 09

AKA
    Dani
    Several Jedi were still making their way to Council Chambers, some included the Council themselves.

"Master Tarkin! Master Tarkin!"

One of the hooded, petite, Jedi turned around slowly to see where the commotion was coming from. The voice she knew, it was Eleric, a young Padawan of thirteen. He was barreling through the corridor as if there were a fire.

He stopped a kilometer away from the Jedi Master and slid to a halt just before bumping into her. "Master Tarkin ..." He said out of breath. "There's ... there's ..."

"Take a moment to collect your thoughts and breathe, Padawan," she said calmly, "And then tell me your message."

Nodding, he bent over to capture his breath and then stood erect. Navaria was certain the boy had run the entire length of the compound. With one last deep breath, he started again. "Master. There is an incoming transmission for you from your Padawan Belargic. She says it's very important."

The Master grew contemplative. She had a feeling that the news Bryna had was intertwined with the dark portents most of the Jedi were feeling.

"Inform the rest of the Council of my whereabouts and I will join them as soon as I finish speaking with my Padawan."

"As you wish Master." He bowed and ran off to the Council Chambers to deliver the message while Navaria headed towards the nearest holonet access.
    Last edited by Miranda Tarkin; Jun 3rd, 2007 at 03:37:40 PM.

Senator Prent
    It was showtime. My small army of attendants worked around me, dabbing makeup here and there, fussing over my hair, meddling with the suit. It had initially taken time, but I'd gotten used to the treatment, and sometimes even perversely enjoyed it.

"Two minutes till air." one of the holocrew people called out to the set.

I sat across from Raz Shandin, the Zeltron political talk show moderator, himself getting the same treatment from his attendees. The makeup kept the lighting from giving you a sweaty, uncomfortable appearance, and brought out your best features. We were both relatively handsome men, but it could all be undone under the holorecorder in the wrong conditions.

I looked to the other side, and held the hand of the person sitting next to me.

"Mrs. s'Ilancy-Prent, we're going to apply some heavy foundation to this scar, and cover it up." one of the attendees noted.

I waved him off. "No way. I don't want it covered up."

I smiled at Lok, my wife of fifteen years. She had credibility with that scar. It was real. She'd been reluctant to appear with me on my political stumping tour, but I had insisted. Did Kosh Brannag have a strong, supporting Jedi wife? No he didn't, and the people would make that distinction. Beyond my platform, and beyond my own vision, we had the potential to be political rockstars, with a cult of personality strong enough to effect real change the likes of which maybe only Chancellor Belargic had.

Master s'Ilancy-Prent
    The smile she returned was strained, but the Lupine held her discomfort well. Only Sanis would be able to recognise the emotion behind it as somewhat disturbed. But, it wasn't from having being cajoled into accompanying him on his little political tour - which, in itself was still something to get used to. She still had fond memories of their journeys together back aboard Layla. She remembered their arguments, their bickering...

And I can only hope that you'll be more discriminating in who you bed, as well.

They were words she'd spoken long ago, and somehow, he'd managed to do just that. At the memory, she gave his hand a slight squeeze.

But still, there was something wrong, and she couldn't place it. It was so clouded in her mind, and Lok furrowed her brow in concentration, trying to pick apart the dark cobwebs surrounding this feeling. Something had happened, that much she knew, but whatever it was was eluding her.

Turning from Sanis' smiling eyes, she cast a blue/hazel gaze off to the side. Serena would contact her, or one of the other Council members, she knew.

It was only a matter of time.

Senator Prent
    "Places people!"

The attendees scattered like roaches, leaving me and my wife with a few seconds of time before we were live. I leaned in.

"What's wrong?"

I might not be a Jedi, but being on the lam with somebody for five years and saving half the galaxy with them, then up and marrying them afterwards leads to a kind of amateur telepathy that even a guy like me could ride like a hoverbike.

Master s'Ilancy-Prent
    Idly watching as assistants scattered to the nine winds, Lok turned to her husband.

The look she gave him was confused, and not a little bit frustrated. "I don't know. I can only feel it, but there is nothing beyond that." A sigh, and she brushed an errant lock of blonde hair from her face. "The Council will contact me, I'm sure."

Her smile returned, and she reached out to lightly pat his cheek. "Of course, I might be wrong, and it very well could simply be your son getting ready to do something stupid again."

Page 1 of 14 123411 ... LastLast