Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brave New Worlds: Reunion

Brave New Worlds: Reunion

Serena was sitting quietly by the girl's bed. She'd been sitting there for hours, and it was a quiet time on the Rebel frigate with most of the crew fast asleep.

The girl, James Prent, had been badly burned on her extremities. The Force had brought the freighter carrying her to the Rebel fleet: there was no doubt in Serena Laran's mind about it. If she had not made it there when she had, she might have died of shock.

The Jedi smoothed her fingers over the girl's forehead, regretting the fact that the doctors had evened up her hair by shaving the other side of her head. She'd come in half shaven, apparently a sign of witchcraft on some backwards planets. The hair was already growing back, a healthy fuzz on her scalp.

Serena didn't look up, but spoke to the presence she'd felt behind her. "You can come out, I know you're there."
    Last edited by Serena Laran; Sep 4th, 2006 at 03:25:25 AM.

there is no passion; there is serenity
    there is no death; there is the Force

TheHolo.Net Admin

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Christin
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: W4BSY Steam ID: ApexLupine
    She'd entered silently, bare feet making not a sound on the metal decking as s'Il padded her way into the medical bay. Concern for James had brought her here, and she'd left the quiet of the Cat to wander the frigate in contemplative thought before turning her sights to where James had been taken.

And so it came as a mild surprise that the red-headed Jedi was also in the medical ward. The Lupine had kept mostly to herself for the short time that Layla was with the Rebel fleet, even after what Morgan had said about her and Serena need to speak. Was it nervousness that made her so leery? To be honest, s'Il couldn't pinpoint the exact emotion she was feeling; perhaps a bit of intimidation. It was true that she'd been on her own for so long, and oddly enough, ten-year-old words from a rather violent meeting suddenly sprang to mind - that she was not, in fact, a Jedi.

And now, looking at the red-headed woman sitting at James' bedside, s'Il felt distinctly that. She felt such a calm from Serena that she couldn't help the cautios nature she'd suddenly taken on since first laying her eye upon the woman.

She'd stopped in the doorway, watching until Serena called to her. She had such a soft Force aura about her, now that the Lupine studied it more closely. Yet, she obeyed wordlessly, her bare feet hitting the deck with a soft patter that was drowned out by the rest of the ward's goings-on.

Sidling up to the bed on the opposite side of Serena, s'Il stared down at James for a few moments.

"I couldn't get there in time," she started tentatively.

There was a chair on the other side of the bed, and with a nudge of the Force Serena pulled it closer to the other woman as an invitation to sit. "We cannot always save everyone from harm. But you did rescue James from the fire..."

Her voice trailed off, and she studied the blonde woman's scarred face. It was older, but she thought she recognized it. After all these years. "Morgan spoke to me about you. The tall young man, dark hair. He said we needed to talk, and I think I know why." A soft smile touched Serena's lips, "Master Windu... you were his padawan, weren't you."

TheHolo.Net Admin

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Christin
    Gamer IDs

Lowering her small frame down into the chair, s'Il nodded. "I was."

She finally looked to Serena then, seeing the calm in the other woman's eyes. The vaguest of recognition was all that the Lupine had, as she stared at the older features of someone she had the faintest of memories of. And even then, it was only in passing. She didn't even know her full name, only what Morgan had called her by; Serena.

"I'm afraid that I don't remember you however," she continued.

She smiled gently, "I am Serena Laran, once a Jedi Knight of the Republic." It was only because the woman before her had been a padawan to a Council member that she had recognized her. There had been literally hundreds of Jedi at the time of the Purge.

And now there were only a handful. With the ferocity with which the fallen one had pursued their lives, it was amazing that any Jedi had survived at all. Serena offered a wry smile, "Perhaps if I stood up you might remember me more. There were not many six foot tall redheads in the Temple. But it does not matter. You survived the Purge."

Serena's eyes conveyed that she knew exactly what that meant. All the trials, the hiding, the pain of not knowing what happened to friends. The battle with fear. All of it. She'd gone through it all too.

TheHolo.Net Admin

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Christin
    Gamer IDs

s'Il listened quietly as Serena spoke, nodding at her last words.

"Having survived such a thing is a hollow accomplishment at best for some. I don't think any of us were lucky enough to come out unscathed or untouched in some way."

The Lupine leaned forward then, resting her elbows on her knees while looking thoughtfully at James' face. Such peace when in sleep, who would've thought that just a short time before those same features had been contorted in horrible pain?

"We all lost something that day."

"Yes," she replied, simply. "I was not in the Temple, but I heard the rumors." Sadness seemed to fill her from the inside out as she recalled the groups of younglings and the babes in the nurseries that must have been slaughtered. "For many years I wished I could have been there, even if it was to die alongside the others."

Serena closed her eyes, "To save one child..." Her voice trailed off. "But I know now why I am still here." She looked at the woman across the bed from her. "And why you are here."

TheHolo.Net Admin

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Christin
    Gamer IDs

This startled the Lupine, and s'Il jerked up from looking at James to stare at Serena, her face more than a little confused. Her expression was soon masked over then, as a decidedly sour look descended over her face.

"You were better off away from the Temple. Do not wish that you'd been there; nobody should have seen what happened there."

A hand covered her face then, and she scratched idly at an unseen itch on her brow. "It was bad enough watching your peers fall, but it was something completely different to watch those you'd escaped with lose their faith and abandon the Force altogether.

"I still can't decide which one is worse."

Serena was silent for a few moments. "I was young, and very alone." She was not young anymore. "Let us not dwell on what cannot be altered."

She looked at the sleeping girl on the bed. "What is her story?"

TheHolo.Net Admin

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Christin
    Gamer IDs

s'Il followed the other woman's gaze, looking down at James.

"From what she'd told me, she came onboard Layla to help with navigation."

A ghost of a smile appeared on her lips; the first in a very long time. "Apparently she was a voluntary kidnap 'victim'."

"I see." Serena studied the other woman, who still had not revealed her name, though it was not necessary to the conversation. "You feel responsible for what happened to her, but it was not your fault. I am curious as to why she was on trial for witchcraft, however."

The former padawan looked up at the knight, and Serena added, "She is an adept, isn't she."

TheHolo.Net Admin

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Christin
    Gamer IDs

The Lupine gave a nod. A part of her wanted to simply sit and watch over James, but the other part knew that she had to talk with Serena; if nothing else than as a way to refuel her long ago sapped energies. To speak once more with a fellow Jedi was something she had not been able to do in too long a time.

"I should have been able to see it."

She considered that for a moment. "Not all Jedi can divine the future, and even those who can will only see possible futures. Is it a gift of yours?"

Serena was truly curious about Mace Windu's padawan, and wanted to know everything about her. But she knew that being hasty would serve no one, and was patient enough to spend the time to dig the information out of her. Being a former Jedi padawan was one thing, but it remained to be seen if the woman was still a Jedi.

The Force was silent on the issue, leaving Serena to draw her own conclusions.

TheHolo.Net Admin

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Christin
    Gamer IDs

It was strange, how Serena seemed to exude such tranquility. What the other woman was able to hold so easily was that same thing that she herself clung doggedly to with all of her might. But, there had been so many grey areas experienced along the way and she had only what she'd been taught before her Master died.

"I suppose," the Lupine began slowly, "that you could call it a gift. Though it's not something I'd like to discuss here."

Peace. That was all she wanted. Peace and quiet and rest. To know the Force much more deeply than she did now. If she didn't take the chance now, s'Il knew that it was very possible she would never again have it.

She gave the redhead an almost pleading look then. "I've done the best I could after the Purge; I tried to stay as close to my teachings as I could.

"But I need help... "

Serena reached across James' sleeping frame and put her hand over s'Ilancy's. Loklorien s'Ilancy - the name had been in her memories but it had taken time to uncover it. "I, too, have visions of the future. Of futures, I suppose. When I first arrived on the planet that was to be my home for over twenty years, I foretold a famine that would blight the people's crops the following season.

"I was able to convince the lord of the caer, village, that he needed to prepare, and because of the foretelling many lives were saved. I was also able to help them stave off the worst effects of several natural disasters in the following years." Serena smiled wanly, "There were those the Force did not show me - a flash flood that wiped out an entire caer. A plague of insects that destroyed a harvest." She seemed weary. "I think of them from time to time. The people my abilities could not save. But I lived alone, in a forest... I learned to take in the peace that existed in nature around me, to take it in and make it mine. Sometimes no matter what we do to save it, a tree will die and fall to the ground.

"But in its crumbled remains, new life always grows. The abilities we have through the Force were not given to us to circumvent the circle of life, but to enhance it. We protect the innocent, but we are not infallible. We harvest evil ones, but the Jedi have made mistakes before in making war."

She kept her eyes on s'Ilancy, though the other woman averted her eyes. "I thought I was the last Jedi. I did not abandon my hope, but I was resigned to my life, and I found peace in doing so. But now... we are not alone, Loklorien. You are not alone."

TheHolo.Net Admin

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Christin
    Gamer IDs

Her shoulders sagged, though it was not because of some unseen weight being placed upon them. No, it was as if that thing - whatever it was - had been lifted, and after so many years she could now rest. It was a certain kind of loneliness she'd felt, but at Serena's words, that feeling was ebbing away. Her tired shoulders, having bourne the weight of that solitude for so long were now able to finally rest.

And being in the other Jedi's presence, perhaps she would have a chance at finally throwing off her tormentor, the Man in Black.

After a few moments, she met Serena's eyes. She took in the aura of the Force that surrounded her, and let out a long, pent up breath. "I've no talent for divining; I just, see it - the Force. I can see it around you now, soft and gentle, ready to offer aide and comfort. Ihaven't seen such a thing since the old days before the Purge."

And at this, the Lupine gave a tired, easy smile. "It's nice to see again."

"Then as long as we are both with the fleet, we should spend our time together." Serena gave Loklorien's hand a little squeeze, and then brought her own hand back to her lap. "I heard you have a daughter, is that true?"

The two children who were on board the Layla had already gotten into a bit of trouble in one of the mess halls, but the Rebel crew were being very understanding. Except for a few officers who were mortified at the breakdown of order, the incident had not disrupted anything but lunch.

TheHolo.Net Admin

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Christin
    Gamer IDs

Another smile as the lines around her eyes grew less strained.

"I do. Though I must admit that she's taken to life off Cathar rather well. I suppose being around Daanaari helps - " s goodnatured grimace then, " - in most cases, at least."

It was Seren's statement, that the two spend their time together, which had caught s'Il off gaurd. In fact, in her mind it was far more than she'd expected; to spend her time with someone she saw as more advanced in the ways of the Force was strangely alluring. It was more than a temptation, it was a need. Such a thing had not happened for so long, and the Lupine let her gratefulness show in her eye.

Serena could feel some of the tension leaving the Padawan's body, and she smiled at the thought of the Cizerack cub. "They do seem to be fast friends."

She hesitated, and then added, "It is off topic, but in your travels with the Layla... have you met other survivors?"

TheHolo.Net Admin

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Christin
    Gamer IDs

With pursed lips, s'Il gave a nod.

"Only one. I spent most of my time on Cathar, so my interaction with others offworld was very limited. But when I left with Sanis, we ran into an old... friend of mine.

"He travels with us now."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast