Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The End of the Exodus [completed]

TheHolo.Net Poster

Has been a member for 5 years or longer

AKA
    Charley

The End of the Exodus [completed]

It had been a harrowing few days. The escape from Felucia was harrowing and bittersweet. Anbira had been eager for such a chance to return to the galaxy after four years of monastic isolation. His spiritual communion in the jungle with Jedi masters of the past had given him the skills to become such a mystic, but he knew in his heart that he was untested. The breakout from Felucia's imperial stronghold was testament to that.

Rognan Dar and Wei Wu Wei had been the first friendly faces of the living he'd seen in years. Within an hour, he was alone again. He had no idea as to Rognan's fate. Wei evacuated in a separate ship, and the two parted ways, pursued by imperial forces and a sinister agent of the dark side.

That was a week ago. Anbira had since left his stolen transport behind, and booked passage on a half dozen transports across the outer rim. Where he was going, he did not know. He trusted only his feelings to guide him, knowing that he was a leaf on the wind.

His age-worn stormtrooper armor was long-since recognizable as anything imperial standard issue. He'd bartered in several backwater trading depots for the sundries to repair what was worn out, so that his garments were now more or less unique, with only the hint of a past behind them. His lightsaber, a unique and tell-tale weapon, was kept hidden in a nondescript courier's pouch at his side. On Nal Hutta, he appeared as any rough & tumble spacer would. His hard features blended well with the harshness of his surroundings.

That was fine and well, but Anbira was not content to hide. He needed to find others like him, as Obi Wan had suggested. The Jedi Order was a flickering candlelight, the last embers of a once mighty fire that brought light to the farthest reaches of the galaxy. To do anything else but embrace this destiny would be to squander all the hope that had been placed in him.

In the meantime, there was work to be done. Anbira had found himself in the employ of a smuggler named Jelaad, who brokered contraband into the Imperial sectors toward the mid core. He had no illusions that Jelaad had anything on his agenda other than profit, but his employ was useful to the Jedi. A man in such a business would have many connections, and some of those might lead to the Rebel Alliance. Anbira's former enemies were idealogues, and rumored to consider some Jedi among its ranks of freedom fighters.

Anbira's use to Jelaad was also fairly simple. Through more than a few brawls, the Jedi had proven he had the brawn to protect the smuggler's interests. He accompanied supply convoys, and saw that Jelaad's property was kept safe. Fortunately, Jelaad was not entirely specific as to the why and how of his job, and he hadn't had to kill anyone, or reveal his true nature. If Jelaad knew he was a Jedi, he would turn him into the Empire in an instant. Anbira would be an impressive bargaining chip for a man who was constantly in trouble with Imperial entanglements. For now, he plied his trade with a telescoping staff. Jelaad's underlings had seen enough of his prowess not to question his eccentric weapon choice.

This mission was a mercy mission - of sorts. Medicine to be specific. Jelaad was shipping seven crates of anti-inflammatory serum to Corellia, where it would be unloaded at costs that the Empire and its taxed and tarriffed drug providers could not match.

It was the closest thing to the right thing that Anbira had been involved with in some time. Hopefully, it would bear fruit.

"You filthy rotten stinking..." Arya's curses continued under her breath as she monitored the traffic around Corellia from the cockpit of the Wing of the Raven. She'd landed for her drop, but hadn't offloaded yet. And it looked like - yeah, Jelaad had been given clearance for the sector she was in.

Someone had doubled up, and that meant trouble. Usually the sort of trouble that meant less pay. She didn't feel like putting a hole in Jelaad today, but it might come down to it. Arya pulled on her spacers gloves and straightened her dark brown nerfhide jacket as she stood up. It was time, and she wasn't about to let another smuggler horn in on her profits.

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Charley
    The crew of Jelaad's ship debarked, and Anbira followed their lead, eyeing the landing platform for any signs of trouble. They weren't hard to miss.

"I wasn't aware our client was expecting another shipment."

Anbira crossed his arms, tilting his head toward the adjacent freighter so that his skipper could notice it too.

"Keep to the job. Lets not make trouble we don't need."

Arya emerged from her ship and watched Jelaad land his freighter through lidded eyes. Dae had sent her this job, had set the whole thing up, and Arya trusted Dae. The mistake was not on her end.

Plus, where would someone get two cargos? And how would they end up on separate ships? If Jelaad was even carrying a cargo. Maybe he was here for a pick up. Yeah, right.

The tall and lean smuggler pushed herself away from the hull of the Chevvette77 freighter and made herself noticeable to the two men who walked out of the other ship. "Jelaad!" She nodded at him as she moved a tad closer. "I never thought I'd see you in Corellian space again."

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Charley
    "I don't choose my competition, Ravenwing. Only my customers."

Jelaad, a hawk-eyed man with a clean-shaven head crossed his arms over his chest.

"I can't be responsible for who they choose to associate themselves with. But lets spare the pleasantries for later. I have an appointment to make, and you're distracting me."

Jelaad motioned for his other crewers to offload the cargo as he stepped toward the entrance of the spacedock warehouse. Anbira followed.

She rolled her eyes at his back, and gave the guy who looked like a coiled spring a smile full of teeth. "Yeah, well, you're not the most pleasant of company, but I do have appearances to keep up." She waited half a second, and then sauntered along behind the two men towards the entrance.

Behind her the Wing of the Raven opened up the cargo airlock and her bulky freight droid 2P-0 began shifting crates and offloading her cargo. Arya lit up a choice cigarra, and bounded forward as the customer arrived, drawing even with the other two before they could get there first.

"Hey, got your cargo here, Trike." She flashed the man a smile that almost reached her eyes, and then kept on going. "Where'd you want it this time?"

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Charley
    "I only had one shipment scheduled."

Trike, a slight-framed Zeltron with delicate glasses frowned at both freighter crews.

"Manifests? This has to be a mistake."

He extened a hand toward Jelaad and a hand toward Arya each, behaving as if his time was a dish in a restaurant they couldn't afford.

Arya pulled a grubby looking datapad out of her back pocket and gave the viewscreen a swipe with her sleeve before handing it over. "All accounted for, boss."

He took it gingerly between two fingers and glanced over the lists before handing it back. She flipped it in the air and caught it, then did it again for the only reason that it seemed to make Jelaad's partner tense up a little. Behind them 2P-0 was making nice stacks of the cargo from her freighter six meters away from the pile that was being shifted from Jelaad's ship.

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Charley
    "Aha Aha. Somebody is having fun. Except I am not amused."

Returning both manifests, Trike crossed his arms.

"This is how it works. I hire freighters through a contractor. You are both prompt and seem capable, but I honestly don't make a fuss over names and faces. Smugglers are commodities, and I'm trading in a more diversified product. One I am only willing to pay a certain amount for."

Trike frowned at the smugglers, which on his well-featured face didn't strike as a terribly unpleasant gesture, but all parties included could read between the lines well enough to know he wasn't happy at all.

"If you're telling me the truth, then you have shipped me exactly twice as much of the product as I am interested in. At your current asking prices, I will only accept the amount I want, which as I have already explained is half. Which means, one of you is leaving without my business, because I'd be a fool to pay double the overhead for half of each cargo."

Trike seemed to rest his eyes on Anbira, and an expression of concealed unease flashed beneath his demeanor.

"That is, unless one or both parties are receptive to unloading their cargo at a handsome discount. I am willing to entertain that possibility, but not many others."

Arya frowned. "Well it seems to me its easy enough - what contractor did you use?"

"I was holding a pair of Knaves when I last played sabaac with them." Trike looked from Jelaad to Arya and back again, the bland look on his face threatening to bite their heads off. "I trust you know what happens to people who cross them."

"Well aware." Arya groused, and added, "Can't you just run the recog code to verify who came through the right channels?" She showed him the datapad again without making him touch it. Dae was mixing her up with the Sullustian Brothers? Bad, bad news. She was happy being a small fry, and knowing that she'd been sub-contracted for a Brothers job made the spacious hangar feel a little.. close.

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Charley
    "I'm not going to bother my vendors by questioning their methods. I'd wither on the vine here on Corellia if they pulled the plug."

Exasperated, he glanced to Jelaad and back to Arya.

"I have a meeting with hospital staff in two hours and I need a seltzer. You two settle it."

With that, Trike turned to leave.

She narrowed her eyes at the departing Zeltron's back, and then pulled her railgun and blaster, pointing it at Jelaad and his guard. "Look, I didn't come here for a fight, Jelaad." She backed up a little, her jacket hanging open and loose. "I'm sure we can settle this peacefully."

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Charley
    "You're well armed enough for not coming here for a fight."

Jelaad noted sharply, spreading his coat wide to show he was disarmed; as if to emphasize the dichtonomy between the two smuggling captains.

Anbira stood off to the side, leaving the two to their forum.

"Yeah, well, a girl likes to be prepared for any occasion." She lowered her weapons a tad, but not enough to put her in a bad place should someone start shooting at her. "I was big on math in school. There's one of me, unless you count the droid," Twopio was clunking back into the ship to get the last crate, "and like... oh, more than that of you.

"Plus, I'm not stupid. I know you, Jelaad. Remember when you shot me in the leg? We were even working together at the time."

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Charley
    "Point taken."

Jelaad half smiled, crossing his arms.

"So back to math. The number of us, minus the number of you should equal half of your take on the cargo you get to keep. Lets not do something stupid and unbalance the equation. Put the frelling gun back into leather"

Anbira slowly paced, at an unthreatening distance from Arya, so that the angle between himself and Jelaad was untenable for Arya to cover simultaneously. More insurance.

Arya laughed, her eyes turning a bit yellow in the bad lighting. "Put my gun away? Which one?" She continued to track the muscle's movements with the railgun while keeping Jelaad casually covered with the blaster.

"Look, half price for all this cargo seems like - well - a bad deal. Considering all the frelling fuel I burned up getting into this Imperial hellhole, I wouldn't even break even." She thought for a moment. "Well, maybe barely even."

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Charley
    "The one pointing at me, of course! If you shoot my men, they'll take you in a rush. That gun might as well be against your head."

He glanced to Anbira.

"Krosk!"

Jelaad's white armored assistant reversed his slow gait, walking his arc back to a point between Jelaad and Arya.

Arya sighed and slipped her blaster back into the shoulder holster, tugging her jacket back over it. "You really think those things you call men could take me?"

She took another step backwards. "Twopio! Load that junk back up! I'll just find some more buyers. Somewhere. Hiring a frelling stormy, that's a new low, even for you Jelaad." The rail gun was pointing vaguely somewhere around shins of that white armor.

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Charley
    "If this fella was any kind of stormtrooper, you could almost convince me to salute the Imperial flag."

The smuggler scoffed, slapping Anbira's shoulder pauldron heavily.

"Call my bluff though! I'd just as soon take your cargo while I'm at it."

The dark haired woman faked a gasp. "You were bluffing? Well, why did you wait until now to say so?"

She shook her head, her back against the crates that her slow but faithful freight droid was coming out to load back into the Wing of the Raven. "The only bluff I heard was the one where you said you'd pay me half of what this dren is worth." Jelaad would never pay for anything he could get for free.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast