Thread: Let's make a deal (open)

Kyp Grenples

Let's make a deal (open)

There was no doubt about it, business was bad.

Really bad.

Of course it had been this bad before. When you were part of a small-time operation like this, there were always ups and downs, lean periods and times of plenty. Cater to the ever changing whims of the public, that was the name of the game. And he was one of the best at it. The trademark disarming smile was absent now, as he threaded his way through the crowds, but his perceptive eyes were at full alert. Even now he was scanning those around him, reading them like most people would read a book. Up ahead, his destination lay nestled between two larger edifices, an unassuming, cozy diner. His newest client had contacted the shop, and the deal could have easily taken place right then, but the salesman always preferred to do things face-to-face.

You could really take them for a ride, then. Never underestimate the power of the personal touch.

The door jingled brightly as he entered. The atmosphere of the place immediately put you at ease. You walked in here and felt like you’d been coming here your whole life. Everyone you talked to was your best friend.

Perfect.

With practiced ease he slid into a booth. His mouth was drier than a Hoth tundra but he declined getting anything yet. Better to wait and order with the client; like good friends, just catching up on old times. He checked he clock again. The meeting time was approaching quickly. The minutes ticked by and still, no one. He really hoped he wasn’t going to be stood up; the company needed the business. But even if he was, at least he got out of the shop. If he had to spend another day in there with his brother, he just might kill the guy.

The merry jingle of the door filled the diner, drawing his attention. Ah, finally, they were here. He caught the client’s eye, his slick salesman smile already in place as he waved the newcomer to the booth.

Tarsis
    With a jingle that went off as Tarsis entered the diner, he assumed that the man waving him down at the current moment was the man he needed to see. Tarsis wanted to upgrade his new acquired droid with some of basics. You know, stuff that would allow the droid to be able to stand on his own if need be.

Slowly but surely, XI mad his way into the diner. With another jingle of the bell and a few odd looks, Tarsis could tell that it was XI without even turning around. The sound that XI makes when he walks, if that wasn't a dead give away Tarsis didn't know what was, is the sound that an old moisture farm droid would make if its joints had rusted. But, hopefully this guy could fix all that. Stepping up to the booth, as Tarsis leaned his head to one side and then to the other as his neck cracked, "I assume you’re the man who can help me with my droid problem?"

XI-20-P
    XI-20-P slowly drudged its way towards Tarsis who was sitting down. Its sensors detected the booth's material tensing under such a heavy weight as Tarsis, his power suit, and his greatsword. Why XI's new master always felt the need to carry such a weapon was beyond XI but then again, its concerns were irrelevant to its new master. It could hear Tarsis begin the conversation though and its receptors instantly toggled to the other man sitting at the table. Droid problem?!?!

Kyp Grenples
    Between the man’s own clanking footsteps and the creaking and squealing of the droid that followed him, the salesman could hardly hear his own thoughts. Nevertheless, amid the cacophony, he began the habitual analyzing of his adversary. He exuded a large presence, though if that were because of the man himself or mechanical exo-suit he was wearing was up for debate. His dark hair lay in lank strands about a glowering face. This fellow certainly wasn’t accustomed to the finer things in life. Perhaps a worker from one of Coruscant’s many industrial sectors or maybe an orbital mining colony from some far off corner of the galaxy—he certainly did seem to have a slight accent. There was also a palatable feel of impatience about him. Better skip the vague pleasantries and small talk and get right down to business. The gentle touch had no place here. Ordering drinks would have to wait too.

Standing, he took the man’s calloused hand in a firm handshake. “A pleasure to meet you. The name’s Kyp Grenples, better half of Grenples' Droids. Please, have a seat.”

The man grumbled something unintelligible as he eased himself into the booth.

“So, tell me, what can we do for you?”

Tarsis
    “So, tell me, what can we do for you?”

Tarsis, looking up as he finally got situated in the booth, called over XI. "Well, Kyp. I recently acquired this droid in a game of Sabaac and his previous owner, didn't take good care of him. I'm sure you heard him as he walked in; he's starting to rust, his joints aren't the best anymore, and his plating is all dented up." Tarsis took a moment to look over XI making sure he didn't miss anything. "All in all, he's a pretty good protocol droid, but in my line of work I have no need for a protocol droid. I need something a little bit more...combat ready"

Tarsis had never been this way with anyone since he was a young kid. He hated doing business this way because it wasted so much of his time, but if Tarsis wanted XI to be as he saw fit then he would have to get over it. "It's simple Kyp, I need a few basic upgrades and a few new ones: better joints, better plating, better sensors, combat readiness, increased reflexes, and possibly weapons." Taking a moment to brush his long black hair out of his face, " Can you help me with those or do I need to find someone else?"

Truth be told, Tarsis had his hopes up about Kyp. One, because well, he was the first one that Tarsis came to see and he didn't feel like wasting anymore of his time by tracking down another 'droid expert' and two, because Kyp's reputation proceeded him. Tarsis had heard of Kyp's "Grenples Droid Inc." in a bar before. A couple possible costumers, who knew, but the fact was they were talking about it. Said that they knew what they were doing, specializing in the sales of custom droid designs. Well, Tarsis would see if what he had heard was true soon enough.

Kyp Grenples
    “Sounds like you, my friend, need a better droid.” He said with a slight chuckle. “Fortunately, you’re in luck; we can overhaul your buddy there. From the sounds of it, though, the work’s going to be extensive. We’ll need to essentially replace the entire substructure. Plus, with what you’re asking for, he’ll need a new power supply, new actuators, new power conduits and, as you mentioned, new armor plating. That’s all well and good, of course, but I have a feeling we’ll also have to replace the processing unit, those industrial droid brains just aren’t set up for complex combat routines. As you can imagine, that’s a lot of work. I would imagine it might run you upwards of, say, 18,000 credits to do the job right.”

His words were calm and smooth, but inside he was dancing gleefully. He had a feeling this job could wipe out his gambling debts and keep his brother and himself living comfortably for more than a couple lunar cycles. He could just as easily inform the guy of Grenples’ own GC-10 model combat droid. It would be cheaper and probably less of a hassle. Still, the customer was always right, and if he wanted this rusted relic refurbished, well then that’s what he’d get. Besides, he really didn’t care about the work it took after the deal was made, that was his brother’s problem.

XI-20-P
    XI paid close attention to the whole conversation carefully as they were discussing removing parts from IT! It was shocked and alarmed that both of them would allow XI to be present of such a thing as it was hardly the polite thing to do. On a second examination of the situation, given its new master's observed tendencies, it was really not such a surprise.

The vital phrase that caught XI's attention was "replace the processing unit." XI's receptor's seemed to widen in a human like mannerism and it's shoulder actuators slumped. A spark of self preservation created the drive to start making excuses. It's dull voice slowly picked up,

"I... I... am capable of complex combat routines. There is no need for a new processing unit! Master, I assure you, a new processor will only cost you more credits than necessary! But I do agree that upon the rest of what he states, Master. My substructure system dates back at least 70 standard years..."

Some of the parts in XI were much older than that but it could not remember how old or why they were still present. It's processor quickly confirmed this concept irrelevant and filed it away for later.

Tarsis
    I... I... am capable of complex combat routines. There is no need for a new processing unit! Master, I assure you, a new processor will only cost you more credits than necessary!”

Tarsis heard his droid's rambling, but was currently taking in by what Kyp had been saying and even though the price Kyp spoke of was high, Tarsis wasn't to surprised by it.

"18,000 credits you say? Well, I agree with everything you said, all except the new processing unit. I'm going to have to agree with my droid on this one, because, let's face it, he knows what's best for himself." Looking at XI as he stopped to take a breath and then back to Kyp, Tarsis continued. "As far as that price is concerned, seeing how we just made it easier for you to work on my droid, I was thinking we should drop it a bit. Somewhere along the lines of 14,000 credits for the whole thing sounds more reasonable to me. How about you? 14,000 credits total, 4,000 in advance and that's just to give you a little reassurance that I'll pay."

Tarsis had a feeling that his price cut wouldn't sit well with Kyp, but he really didn't care. Tarsis could easily find someone else to work on XI for a cheaper price. And if not, then he was sure he could find someone in the Order to do it for him, seeing how he was recently accepted into the ranks of the Sith.

Kyp Grenples
    14,000!? Did this guy just get hit in the head? 14,000 was an insult! Still, a little bargaining was always expected. Made things more interesting.

"My friend, you find anyone that can do the kind of quality work I'm proposing for a mere 14,000 credits and I'll show you a flying bantha. I'll tell you what, though, for you, I could be convinced to go as low as 15,500 credits. At least 5000 up front for parts. And I assure you you won't be disappointed."

He pulled out a datapad and began itemizing the anticipated repairs and custom parts. For some reason, he wanted to get this deal done as soon as possible, even though it might mean less money. The man in the tin suit made him uneasy, and he hated feeling uneasy. He looked over the list again, making sure he wasn't forgetting anything. Satisfied, he slid it across the table.

"If you'll just sign there, we can get right to work. This is just a standard contract signifying that Grenples Droids, Inc. agrees to perform the listed services for the agreed upon price plusanyadditionalsurcharges,fees,andadjustmentsdue tofluctuatingrawmate
    rialprices," he finished with a smile.

Tarsis
    Looking down at the datapad and then back up at Kyp, Tarsis said, "Alright, it's a deal." Tarsis was growing quite tired of this and wanted to get it over and done with as soon as possible. But the good thing was, Tarsis had gotten 3,000 credits knocked off the original price, which was good enough for him.

Reading over the datapad real fast, making sure it was what Tarsis had wanted and nothing more, he signed it. "There you go. So how long will this take?"

Kyp Grenples
    "Well now, that's a tough one to answer. You see, being that this is a custom job, much of it is up to the availability of parts and the condition of your friend's insides there. I hesitate to give you a concrete answer, but, if I had to guess, I'd say no more than...a month."

He took the datapad back from the customer, looked it over, then slipped it inside his jacket.

"Now, you're welcome to contact us any time and get a progress report. Customer satisfaction, of course, is our #1 goal. And with that, I'll take your droid over there back to the shop and let you get back to your day."

He held out his hand to the guy in the tin suit.

Tarsis
    Tarsis frowned on the fact that Kyp couldn't give him a better answer, but he knew that was the best he could do. It was a custom job after all and Tarsis was asking a bit much. So he would wait. "Alright then. As far as progress reports go, I'll check in myself every so often, you know, just to see how things are going and to make sure everything I asked for is being done."

"And with that, I'll take your droid over there back to the shop and let you get back to your day."

Standing up from his seat, Tarsis looked over at XI, " I'll come and check your progress soon. Take care til then." Seeing Kyp's hand out of the corner of his eye, Tarsis turned and extended his hand as well. " Thank you, and I'll see you soon enough." With that, Tarsis turned and made his way to the exit.

XI-20-P
    XI was pleased that Tarsis had agreed not to remove his processor; the droid knew that it had been through several upgrades but out of the back of the databanks, an almost random code of information had been found citing that the primary processor was the original. XI had ignored the rest of the conversation, recording it for later study, as it pondered the origin of his processor.

Primary processor? A systems check conveyed that XI sustained only one processor. Was "primary" then to be considered redundant? XI's logic drive deleted the random code, removing the redundancy.

Returning to the conversation, XI was just in time to hear Taris say,

"I'll come and check your progress soon. Take care til then."

XI was shocked at its master's show of affection toward the droid. It had summarized Tarsis incapable of such a human emotion. Tarsis' logic, while based on a severe course of trial and error, was a large part of his efficiency. Human emotions had a tendency, majority of the time, to stray from efficiency. Regardless of losing a little respect for its new master, XI would be sure to follow the order nonetheless. Now it would follow the Grenples brother to recieve more upgrades so that XI, once again, would become a more efficient tool for its master.