Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just Another Funny Sort of Day

Closed Thread Just Another Funny Sort of Day

Was a nice thing to not have to worry about proper landin procedures and all the lil dials and doodads that made it go all right and well. Instead the proper landin of the WR-542 dubbed (as far as she could tell) the 'Elizabeth Dane' was handled by two droid-brains: One standard the other workin a bunch of poodoo it weren't really made for but had been snagged outta one of them old Vulture fighters and rewired for the purpose of gettin them from Point A to Zed and all places betwixt. Wasn't a normal set up, but she'd gone about and done it and all things considered a lack of overall normal stuff on this little outin she'd agreed to was startin to seem right and in its proper place. Also meant that the girl sittin in the pilot's chair could go about wonderin and thinkin just how the hell it was that she'd started off playin a gig a day or two ago in some backwater bar on some backwater planet and had managed to go and agree to some cattle drive. Funnier yet was the bit she'd gone through to get a right proper ship set up for the thing, a'course her current parter, boss, guy had done a wonder to the hull too to keep folks in the dark 'bout it all. Even had managed to get them past some Feds at one point, a fact she was still amusing herself over. "Plants...frakin hell, gotta remember that bit..."

The ship quieted itself as it set down on Sullust and Sadie pulled a freshly lit cigarra from her mouth and took another swig of a flask that had found its way back out from her bag in a bit of celebration on not frakin the entire job up so far. Though the entire gig was still hangin on somethin not all that pleasant. There was still the matter of the guy she was workin for and the damage he'd gone and incurred when the intel folks had given them a hassle. "So you got any sort of idea where we can start lookin for a no-questions doc for ya or we just runnin with what you've patched yourself up with?"

D'Kor
    "Yeah. Some teen wanna-be drug dealer should have a pocket pull of his mommies prescription medication. That'll work for a spell." He reached for the gun he'd left on the dash and slipped it back into the holster on his hip. "You can jog around if'n ya want, I'm only payin' ya, but I'm shakin' dust in an hour at best." It was the last time she would get a chance to bail out of the job and it was the nicest way he knew how to tell her that she's either in, or right out and unpaid. He figured he'd start marking up favors he owed her after the job was done. It wasn't fair but she didn't work with him enough to get fairness.

He was standing on the ramp as it lowered onto the landing pad grumbling into the hot air the second he set eyes on the person who would be seeing to what he needed; not that he should have expected any less. The sullustan started his introduction to which he was promptly cut off. "Look, I just got hit by some goram pirates. I just need the cells recharged a bit, and a few days worth of food packs. Enough to keep me alive 'till I get back ta Mantell yeh? And I don't want ta be hackin' off apendiges ta pay for it." Without waiting for a reply, or for the little being to stop blinking at his short temperedness, he brushed past his host and made directly for the nearest dark ally.

Drug dealers were never hard to find. Just wander around in the same area, scratching your arm, or sniffling far too much, maybe toss in a twitchy eye, and the peddlers come out of their hiding places. It did take him the better part of forty minutes to find someone with actual pain pills but he was starting to hate breathing again, so it was deemed time well spent. He made his way back to the dock hand that was seeing several crates of food loaded onto his ship, working up a foul mood on the way. "How much?" "Just under five thousand credits." "Five? Five! I said no cutting things off remember? Holy gods and peanut butter..." He started to count out the credits he'd pulled from one of the many pouches on his belt. "No, ya know what? Take it, I don't have time." He tossed the credits to the ground and stormed up the ships ramp. It was a fair bit more than the price given to him but it gave him room to speed out of port in a bad mood, and not attract attention. "Alright, take 'er up fast. I wanna be there yesterday. I'm goin to feed the animals." He said, kicking at the droid brains as he suffled past them, and dragging the first crate of food off to the cargo hold.

When Kor went off on his merry way to find his happy pills, Sadie was left to really contemplate the whole situation. She could bail now, bail and be done with it and send a call out to Ronan (since he was the only one in the band that wouldn't go givin her a hard time bout it all) and that'd be it. No credits, but no worries at all. But that meant going back to the band early and more to the point, goin back to Bog and havin to hear him tell her off for runnin off without him settin up the deal and Sadie was certainly findin the blondie far more agreeable than that Zabrak ever really was. It took some pacin in the cooridoors, finishin off the last of the cigarra's she'd rolled, even a trip to look at the false floor by the time she'd made up her mind to stick with it. Anythin worth doin was worth stickin with or somesuch.

When D'Kor came back she avoided the comment regardin it bein his friends that had gone and caused them a delay, mostly because she didn't feel like it and the look he was kinda lettin sit on his face told her it was best not to push buttons. The fact she was still there in the pilot seat probably said a whole hell of a lot in itself, anyways.

She got the droid brains workin on gettin them into space and on the right course again and then...well then curiosity set in. The entire trip she'd sat all good like in the cockpit and did her code thing and let the boy do the dirty work, but there was somethin startin to edge at the wonderins about the inner workins of such a run and so, takin the flask with her as peace offerin, Sadie worked her way back to the hold.

D'Kor
    Feeding time was never an easy task, especially if he was on his own. For once he was glad he hadn't treated them generously and let them out of the crate or it would have been a mad house. Dragging the crate across the cargo hold's new floor elicited the first echos of pleading. Some poor sap that thought someone had come to help. Pulling up the large floor plate gave way to several more joining in the cries of despair but he just couldn't muster up enough compassion to care. Not for merchandise, he only worried when it dropped in value.

One side of the crate hidden under the floor was partially open; only three or four inches. He looked up to try and find a portable light so he could take a peek inside and make sure everything was still intact. "Hey..." He honestly hadn't thought she would work up the gusto to wander back to the hold. It wasn't really a place for anyone to be except the cattle and their handlers, it was a very immoral job, and usually didn't leave people that easy after seeing it.

He climbed out to grab the small lamp and opened up the crate of food on his way past it. "It ain't much. Flavored protein, vitamins....few minerals. Y'can live on it and fill up for a good chunk'a time. Grab somethin' if ya got the urge." Hopping back down through the open hole in the floor, and onto the top of the crate, he turned the small lightsource on and squeezed it through the opening in the crate. The same dolt that thought his salvation was at hand started crying, presumably under the assumption that he was getting out soon. An armed thermal detonator was presented in the gap next. "Here's the deal. I got some munchies up here, assuming ya'll are hungry by now. Gunna toss 'em in and they're gunna get divvied up, real nice like. Any one of you start hording and I'm gunna have a crate of chunky red jelly on my hands, deal?" No response except a quiet sob from the far end of the container.

He motioned for Sid to start handing him some of the food packages, remaining silent for a few minutes. There wasn't much to say in the situation, and he wasn't really in the mood for cracking jokes about it all. More food was chucked in to the cattle and he took a second to light up a cigarra. "Most are runners, got away from whoever owned 'em in the first place; more credits on the head. Do got one in here that's a pretty drop. Pay for a bran' new skyhopper." He stopped to look at her as smoke slowly slipped from between his lips curling and spiraling up, in front of his face, in thick clouds of white smoke. "You be just a code girl....alright with this? I got to know if somethin's fishy with my crew."

All in all the whole bit she was havin unfold in front of her was a bit sickenin. Not on a count of what was actually happenin, but from some sense of conscience that it, well, it didn't bug her none. Caused a body to know somethin wasn't quite right when you could listen to folks cryin and pleadin and not thing a thing of it. Well, maybe not nothin, Sadie was all kinds of thankful it was them down there and not her. Even mention of the valuable pretty thing didn't really get any responce from her thoughts other than a 'shoulda been stronger to keep yourself outta that sort of mess', after all, Force knew she had managed it. Was even odd how she fell right into line, startin to help Kor with the dirty business, handing the packages to him.

She hadn't said anythin since joinin him in the hold, same stoic kinda expression she'd given him when the Spooks had left ship to go rough up some kid on Kor's directions was pretty much remainin. Beein cheery didn't seem so right all things considered. It wasn't until her boss started speakin up again himself and took the time to light up a cigarra she pulled the flask of what remained of her private stash of rocketfuel and took a drink of it. When his question came about she didn't nod or shake her head but simply tucked the alcohol container back into a pocket and shrugged, letting her tongue run against her lower lip to moisten it a bit before speaking. "Nothin off the charts here...Can't say I feel anythin for 'em. Knew what you was haulin when I took the gig, seein or hearin the poor saps don't change nothin."

Sadie shrugged slightly, lettin the next bit linger around in the world of to-say or not to-say, but it was leanin to fast towards the former before she could really call it quits. "Kinda have no one to blame but themselves, ya know. Folks get tagged for this sort of thing all the time if they're on their onsies, specially if you look all vulnerable and shit. Too lazy to stand up for yourself to avoid such a fate, maybe that just proves it's your place in the verse." She didn't quite like how she made it come out, made it sound like she knew somethin about that sort of thing...not exactly somethin she wanted to discuss with the blondie but aw well, was out in the air now and he hadn't come across as the pryin sort so Sadie was figurin it wasn't gonna go any further.

D'Kor
    He craned his neck to get an eye on the philosopher hints of a grin making the corners of his lips twitch. When it was all said and done, and the initial bristling rebellious "I make my own place in this verse dammit!" thoughts had settled down, she'd said something not too shy of smart. "Ya know....I think yer gunna get along just dandy out here on the edge." He worked over what she had said for a minute more while stuffing the last of the food into the crate. When the sounds of food being ripped into, and the absence of any complaining, he clambered out of the hole in the floor and drug the metal tile to the edge where he could just shove it back in place with his foot, but he didn't.

"When this tile gets put back the lights in their world fade. It gets black, and the air is close. Breathing isn' easy. Don't think 'bout what's goin' on in their heads. Not ever. Them things down there are just that. Things. Their meaning got stripped away long time ago. Don't think no different than what y'are now, 'course you already knowed that." He chucked the remaining stub of his cigarra on the ground and stomped it out as he started to walk out.

Fingers slipped into the pocket that contained the flask and liberated it. Pickpocketing had never been his thing so he wasn't too subtle about taking it and didn't say much on the matter, his ribs were starting to hurt again. "Close up shop when you got things figured out." A few pain pills were popped on his way back to the co-pilots seat where he fiddled with random dials and buttons until one of them kicked on the radio, pipping in a decent dusk track.
    Last edited by D'Kor; May 27th, 2009 at 12:15:25 PM.

She avoided replyin to his comment bout her gettin along dandy, weren't no point in sayin she better since she'd been doin so for what she could only guess was gettin on near a decade. His lil bit bout the cattle and the little world they'd known the past dayish probably didn't go and have the impact he wanted as all she was wonderin was what he was takin so long for. But then he didn't go and close the thing completely and instead snatched the flask from her and made his way back out of the hold. Was right about then that Sadie caught the full gist of what he was gettin at.

Was then that the sobs started leakin back up and out the crate too and then that dusk music started gettin piped in with it's slow little false dirge bout broken dreams and broken hearts and whatnot. One of them started pleadin and prayin to The Force and Sadie found herself formin a bit of a sour expression that was relieved by a loud sigh and a roll of the eyes before the metal tile was shoved back into place. "Shut the hell up. Kriffin bleein hearts of the verse..."

Current annoyance dealt with she mosied on back to her place in the pilot's seat and dropped down into it. Sadie almost wanted to go and give the boy a look as in a the frak was that about? but she let it go. Trip had been smooth between the two of them so far and throwin a gear in the works wasn't the smartest thing to do. "So on to Karfeddion, yeah?"

D'Kor
    Part of him felt stupid for having to make a speech about ignoring the wrong parts of life, and a little less than bad for the same reason. "Damn lucky I didn't push the frelling purge button or whatever the frak they call it. Big girls like this tin can ain't my idea of a dancin' partner." He popped the clip on his holster and pulled out the pistol, dropping the magazine into his lap, and removing the metal slug from the chamber. "If I 'member correct the jump twixt here'n'there shouldn't take more 'an a hour, little less probably, so go ahead and punch it."

About an hour later, little less probably

He killed the music just as they were entering Karfeddion's atmosphere and slowly got up to stand behind the kid's chair. "There's no real regulations or laws here, nobody does anything stupid and everyone stays alive. For the most part. Which means..." He paused as he scanned the planet they were descending on. "You can put it down right there." A cluster of cargo sized crates, boxes, ships, and cheaply constructed warehouses a few miles north of several other, equally similar, groupings of slaves and traders; the one he pointed to however was only seeing middling action in terms of ships coming and going. "Slavery is still legal in this sector, and the guys around here will sell their families for half a cred. The buyer we're looking for is a quarren, only got one tentacle left on his face. But don't stare at it, and don't say nothin' 'bout it if you plan on getting off the boat. Just take it easy either way. Could be a while haggling the prices."

After double checking that the blaster on his side wasn't buckled up, and jostling it about until he was sure it could be pulled easily enough, he walked back to the cargo area for hopefully the last time. He punched the button to lower the loading door, a load lifter and 3PO series droid already waiting for him on the other side though he didn't bother talking to the droid. "Hey buddy!" He had to yell for the driver to hear him. "If you can get Foqquif over here to over see this deal, there's a rutian twi'lek in here with your name on 'er." He actually hadn't seen a chevin run so fast in all his life which made him chuckle much to his displeasure.

She followed along, behind a few paces, stoppin long enough to pick back up the Rents and tuck them back behind her. Watchin Kor fiddle with his gun was enough motivation to make sure her's were all in proper order again. Last thing she wanted to find out was they were bein double crossed and come up short in a firefight. Been through too much on this trip to let it go and end that sorta way. And then there was that naggin bit at the back of her head that was goin and spewin off bout how her 'employer' might be plannin on goin and turnin her round and makin her part of the merchandise. That lil bit was even less a happy thought than the first.

But either way she managed to find her way to the top of the loadin ramp and settled up against the bulkhead there, lettin her left shoulder be shoved up against the metal so she was leanin sideways with her arms crossed over her shoulder as Kor talked to the chevin and as it scrambled off she caught that slight look that the man gave off as he laughed.

Sadie was kinda glad D'Kor hadn't wandered off too far, it let her get rid of what was on her mind without anyone else hearin. Didn't need to go and make anyone aware of the full on situation. "How you holdin up?" She didn't want to come off as carin again, soundin like some desperate housewife that was all worried bout her kid or her spa-boy or whatever so a forced laugh came a touch before she spoke up again. "Things still shiny as much as they can be? Or you gonna need me to step up and pull some ge pi outta my head again on this one?"

D'Kor
    Green eyes flicked to the side and lingered just long enough to try and read his tech-girl's face. She'd make a decent card shark, "...probably already is..." He stood up and casually lifted the black shirt up enough to expose the rainbow of colors in their painful collage over top of his upper rib cage. "I got mollywhopped. Right here." He courteously pointed out the exact spot where he'd been hit. "It ain't the best day ever. Now if you could work in rabid, water logged, jawas in this here negotiation...things'd get better. Other'n 'at you're makin' me curious bein' so curious." He might have let a charismatic wink float her way but he also pulled the shirt back down and winced a little at the same time.

About that time the chevin shuffled his bulk around the corner and waved one short stubby arm in the direction he'd just come from, grunted, and hauled himself back up into the loader. A few hand signals were given to the chiven to have the crate pulled out and opened up so that he could bring out the cattle. It was only half a minute later, after a painful hop to the ground, that Foqquish made his appearance. For a quarren he was well built....and that's where everything good about him stopped. His normally maroon colored skin was a dull orange from being out under the suns rays for too many years, also fading the tribal tattooing that swirled around on all visible parts of his flesh. In addition to unnatural discoloration he was a little more than less wrinkly, the skin on his joints and single tentacle left on his face had shriveled disgustingly.

Somehow, through two marred eyes, the big alien spotted him and pointed at the hand resting on it's owners gun. "Oh it's not that I don't trust ya, I'm just happy to see you still in business is all." Several seconds of tense silence followed until he reached into the crate with his free hand and led out a male ebranite, who appeared to be heavily sedated, and elicited an approving grunt from the quarren. Chained to the ebranite was a duros, followed by another duros, a series of twi'leks, several humans and half humans (one wearing an Imperial uniform though badly torn), a rodian, two wookies and at the end of the line was a sea blue haired half-theelin sporting matching freckles.

Naturally the theelin brought the most attention so he decided to start with her. "Twelve." Foqquish fumbled in the pouch on his belt and produced a large stack of assorted monies. "Twelve thousand, squishy." The orange quarren uttered something that was translated by the droid into spotty bocce as "What do you want?" He was sure the orange alien had put some rather nasty inflections in with it which unfortunately tweaked the wrong nerve. "Eighteen thousand." There was a gurgle of protest but when he opened his mouth to raise the price again hurriedly agreed on the price. He moved down the line to the wookies but the alien remained where he was, squinting into the ship. The blond man reached out and snatched up the shriveled tentacle and yanked him down the line. "Part of my crew. Even the empire couldn't make me sell. Keep pressin' the subject an' I'll finish what I started with yer face, savy? Your options are in front of you." He'd been right that negotiations would take some time as the droid had trouble understanding them both and could hardly reciprocate intelligible speech; only half of the goods had been sold by the time an hour and a half had rolled by.

What a strange sorta over an hourish to spend. First him displayin his bruises off like some gorram badge of honor (which did kinda make her smirk a bit too much but that was besides the whole point), then that ugly ass quarren showed up and the deal had started goin down and then that moment had come she was fully expectin. Foqquish had started eyein her and she'd gone and given him a glare that she wished could have made the bastard drop dead right there. Her hands had gone behind her to start tappin fingertips against the rents and then Kor had gone and settled the matter. That was all together all unexpected and made her feel all kinds of odd inside that had to be forced to stop despite it's not wantin to.

She eased up a bit after that, hidin the actual shock she was feelin with another over-confident smirk and rolled her shoulders a bit before finally walkin down the ramp to go stand a bit closer to the action. After all, seemed to Sadie that the blondie wasn't so bad after all (he was definitely tolerable as far as she was concerned and had experienced) so she was thinkin that maybe mistakes could go and be learned from and maybe in the future this guy would have a few more jobs for her and that'd sit right and well with her - beat hangin around Bog and the band all the gorram time, that was for sure.

With arms goin back to being crossed over her chest she kept watchin the negotiations...which really seemed to be more of D'Kor sayin how it was gonna be and Foqquish gurgling in annoyance and then either agreein to the price or counterin it with somethin that sounded not entirely horrid - or at least, that's what it seemed. Kriffin droid was all mucked up and stallin the entire process with it's inability to go and make half a sense. Sadie was a patient type - to a point. And that point was bein reached real quick.

A bit of a huff left her before she was determined to do somethin before she went and started to walk down the line of pathetic lil creatures, anythin to keep her from bein anymore tempted than she already was to shoot the gorram droid and demand they get themselves a better one for the process. The half-theelin had started cryin. At least she was bein quiet 'bout it, but there weren't no hidin those tears that were streakin whatever makeup hadn't already come off. Sadie made a face at her and moved on.

About halfway down the line however she came to the humans, most of which she wasn't even botherin at really lookin at... And then one of them made eye contact and his eyes got real big and Sadie heard that internal voice say it before it came past her lips. "Aw frak me..."

"Maggie?? Maggie! Thank the Force. You gotta get me out of here!" At least the guy had the decency to whisper in all his panicky banthashit. "Y-you're here to save me, right?"

The level of his voice was startin to go up, still enough to not go over the current argument between the droid, the blond, and the squid, but loud enough to make her all uneasy and have the others strapped to the guy start havin that dopey hopeful look in their eyes. "Nope..."
    "No? Wh-what do you mean no? You can't say no! You owe me!"
    "Like hell I do."
    "Poodoo! Get me the frak out of here or so help me I'll find some way to-"

His voice had started gettin real loud and was suddenly cut short by a sudden punch across the face that connected with his jaw with a loud crack that went and made the guy's rantin not seem so loud after all. A rather colorful string of curses left her as she shook out her hand, tryin to figure out if she went and broke somethin on herself rather than just the guy. Was right about then she took to noticin that the attention had gone and turned on her and the slave guy now attemptin to complain with a busted jaw. "Yeah yeah, damagin the goods. Don't even try and lecture just take it outta my cut."

D'Kor
    The handle of his blaster was suddenly a major relief and not just for show anymore. He couldn't deny how tense things were going to get but the whole thing was a little amusing in some wrong way. Like fishing for sharks with your best friend on the hook; it's not right but it still proves to be funny as hell. Only dealing with a muscle bound squidman slaver wasn't so funny. He didn't even have time to give a small nod of the head to send the kid back into the ship before the quarren started bellowing something at him.

Always agree with the person your in trouble with because they think they're going to fight about it all. Give them a taste of what they want and things cool down pretty quick, enough to make them blink and rethink the situation. So he nodded, shuffled his feet, and raised his hand occasionally like something was understood and didn't need to be repeated. "Look I know you got quota's to meet, I've got one or two of my own so believe me...I know. Tell'ya what..." It took about a minute for the droid to get it's components wrapped around what he'd said and eventually started doing it's job.

"I'll let ya have that one free." He pointed to the glass jaw several times so it was clear he hadn't included Sadie in the deal. "No, I'll do ya one better. I'll pay you full price ta take 'im off my hands. And...eh...I can let the rest go for seven fifty a head." Several minutes of looking anxious and crunching numbers on orange fingers later he broke in again, flashing another smile. "C'mon if I go lower I won't even break even on this trip. You gotta let me break even, it's only even, just let me break it yeh? I dun wanna be stuck here with you no more 'an you do me. You ain't my type." Bule and white hazy eyes fixated on his face for a time before the alien gave a disgruntled huff of agreement, handed over the rest of the credits, and walked out. As soon as the alien was out of site he turned to his partner and made like he was wiping sweat off his brow and chuckled a little.

Sadie had to go and admit to herself that there'd been a good solid moment she figured it was all going to go straight to hell. Yeah she may have talked them both out of that ruttin mess with those special agent type men but that didn't go and make the blond man owe her an ounce of anythin. She'd gone and figured that this was the end of the line, she was done for, and the next thing she'd be doin was tryin to send Bog and the rest of the band a "help me" note after hackin into her new "owner's" system when he was asleep. That plan was already bein formulated, along with a way to slit the throat of the guy who'd gone and put her in this mess...

So the whole deal D'Kor was workin out was a complete loss to her. Sure enough she could see the gestures and such as it was all handled but she was gone too far in her own mess of a mind to even give half of it towards whatever the alien and the guy were workin out. Then the alien walked off, she wasn't grabbed, and blondie was actin like he just pulled off some sort of miracle. Sadie reckoned he might just have...

It bein her fault and all in some manner made her walk towards him a bit more sheepish than she liked, kinda like a dog that had been caught in the process of chewin on a cushion while the rest of the room was a right sort of mess. Foqquish's goons started ranglin up the merch since their boss was done with the deal and Sadie kept a bit of an eye on 'em until she came to a stop right next to the guy she was still considerin her employer, even if he'd gone and done a great deal more to watch her back than any of the others before him that she could recall. "Thinkin I might owe you one now...", that was about the closest he'd go and get an apology or a thanks out of her. "I figure when we finally get to that place you were mentionin earlier I'll let ya get that first round but think the dues call that I go and make with the second and third, yeah?"

The smile she gave him was forced, but she was still all torn up between feelin like she did somethin wrong, feelin like she was justified, and wonderin why it was that this guy hadn't gone and done just about anythin she was expectin him to do when it came to her. As far as Sadie was concerned she wasn't worth that kinda trouble but truth be told she was right on thankful for how it had been goin so far regardless.

D'Kor
    If it had been anyone else in the verse he would have done something very uncivilized to them, even the person he loosely called a boss wouldn't have escaped unscathed one way or another. Anyone else but this kid. She was different and he was trying to ignore that feeling in his gut that was telling him to either get rid of her, or treat her like second hand help, or there would be problems. The job was done and he honestly shouldn't give a frell about what happened to her now, could even leave her here.

Fingers curled into a lose fist and he reached out to lightly tap her shoulder a few times as he turned to go back into the ship. "Nah. Let's just shake some dust an' get off this pile yeh? Done 'nough work here for a few weeks, I just want a cold one right now." Part of him wanted to ask who the guy was, make a smart remark about boyfriends, and give slight mention of the extra zero he'd been expecting on his final total...but wasn't going to get now. The rest of him was just in the mind set to get out of the place before squishy thought things through and before the chevin realized he hadn't gotten what was promised to him, anything after that was drained, sore, busted up, and plain old tired.

Right then the words "Going Home" sounded like the best idea in the verse even though he knew he'd be thinking different once he got there. "And what the frak am I doing taking the kid?" She didn't seem like the kind that was sentimental and hadn't lingered to take one last look at the place but he couldn't make things too easy on her. "Oye. We goin' or you wanna stay and set up a boutique? I'd like t'hear all kinds of bleeps 'n bloops, an' see shiny colors on the dash 'afore the sun goes down or landin' on Kal 's'gunna be hairy. Only a few parsecs away so faster we get there the faster we start workin' towards makin' the room spin on us."

It wasn't quite a glare that she shot him, after all, she'd been the one to go and frak up a decent deal. Though she still wasn't all convinced just how bad of an impact it really had come down to. Maybe she'd get the nerve to ask after downin a few. "Can't stay here. Place doesn't sit right, ya know?"

That rather mean look she was holdin faded with a small shake of her head and a gentle nudge (had to keep in mind the guy was still busted up, after all). "'Sides...I aint in the mood to watch a fine ship go and make fireworks when you accidentally tell the brains to make with the self-explode."

With the quip delivered she began fishin around in pockets for a cigarra that was long gone only to remember she hadn't gone and rolled more. A mental note to do just that was taken as she sat back down in the pilot's chair and scooped up the datapad that was lettin her manage the operation as far as flyin was concerned.

D'Kor
    The trip to Haruun Kal wasn't all that long as it was only a sector and a half away from the camps on Karfeddion. The time was mostly spent, at least on his part, in the hold seperating the credits into piles of similar ammounts. It was a rather tasking process for him to do on his own but with the help of a few fingers to count on he got his total and figured out what the kid's cut would be by the time they dropped out of hyper and started their approach on the planet's capital. The only annoying part of the whole trip was finding a ride from the space port to the tiny town a few kilometers south of the metropolitan area.

The town on the outskirts of the big city was, at first sight, the definition of uncultured and it seemed nothing was going to contest that first impression. It was hardly more than a cluster of old warehouses turned into ramshackle shops, and a down trodden looking hotel. Sparks flew out of the local hangar as an upscale air cruiser was being stripped for all it was worth. An older couple were hanging up their clothes to dry while people next door were selling drugs from their front porch. It was a simple town, as if modern technology hadn't quite reached them yet, and the kind of town where nothing changed but it never stayed the same either.

Which was evident as a door to a run down bar was pushed open. It's windows had been borded up from the inside, instead of replacing the glass, and the wood had been inscribed with possibly hundreds of initials. The wall behind the bar had the hand painted slogan of "For we are Black Sheep, and Stray Dogs." He didn't know the bar tender though he was certainly tough enough for the job judging by his looks, but he knew most of the other people in the room. Blue clouds of smoke hung above the folk that had spent the entire day at their respective stools, it was just the way he'd left it, and they waved a hello like they'd seen him just yesterday. He pointed a finger at an open billiards table, "Rack 'em while I go see a man about startin' a tab."

The look Sadie went and gave her boss was a cross between understandin, bit of a smirk, an all sorts of hidin that slight bit of confusion that came bouts with his tellin her what to go and do next. Billiards was one of them older games played by folks who couldn't go and afford the fancy tables that set up holograms and such. Suited her just fine, but her experience with them wasn't a whole frakload. Most advanced pazaak tables in the verse had nothin on her and her skills, but when you got past that sort of thing and went about goin with older technology...well, there was respect mixed with all sorts of unknown.

So with no sort of real direction on how to go abouts placin the striped and solid balls in the rack she made a bit of a game about it, makin numbers sequentially make sense in a bit of an odd manner...figured the 8 would go and sit all nice and middle like but the rest of the lines and diagonals and such all made pretty additions, subtractions, multiplications, so on and so forth in her head.

Sadie may have been a criminal at heart and soul, but her brain went and never escaped from that bit of learnin she'd gone and acquired all those years in the galaxy. At least...not without alcohol...which her cohort was supposed to be goin and fixin.... So she went 'bout lookin over her shoulder to see if he was makin that happen and in what manner. Spoke a lot about a person as to what kind of drink they went and started a body off with. Shots meant one thing, mixed drink went and meant another, beer yet another kind of thing. All were well and good, but all would go and tell Sadie more about her employer... which she had to go and admit to herself she was gettin a little too curious about.

D'Kor
    “Place might not look like much,” A nod was carefully sent towards the bar, and more over at the entire establishment, as he carefully dodged a drunk on his way out the back door, “But there’s near on every drink in the verse a’hind that bar.” Upon reaching the table he gingerly set down the two glasses that had previously been jars for something, but were now filled with a darker beer, on the edge of the pool table. With his free hand he plucked one of the two smaller glasses in his other palm and held it out to his partner in crime. “Corellian rum, just a little something to get things started down the right road here, and to paydays.” His glass was held up for a second in a lazy toast before the bottom was tapped on the pool table and he downed the shot, she could toast if she wanted but he wasn’t the kind to make someone join in. Half a tick was spent enjoying the warm sensation of the drink crashing into his more than empty stomach while he pulled up a spare stool and transferred the glasses from their various locations to the seat.

“Didn’ mean ta…give you an order or nothin’ since were off the job but…a game or two couldn’t hurt none.” The sentence had been broken up with pauses as he rolled various sticks on the table in order to find the straighter of the lot. If there were two things he was peculiar with it was his blaster and billiards as was made evident by the way he set up the cue ball off to one side and the time he took to line up the shot before sending the ball careening into the others. And though nothing on the break dropped he seemed content with the way the balls came to rest. Heading back to stand next to the kid he leaned the cue stick towards her and only after she’d taken it would he pick up his glass of beer with his right hand, carefully keeping the left in his pocket, and took a hearty drink. “You play much?” Another nod but towards the billiards table. “Them holo-tables are nice but it don’t feel the same as the real thing. Have a few at the club but can’t stand to play on ‘em all that long.”

She'd gone and joined in the toast, more outta some sorta auto response rather than a genuine sharin of the sentiments... not that Sadie didn't appreciate drinkin and havin a job over an done with... more that it was done and that meant sooner rather than later she'd have to go and find where the rest of the band had gone and holed themselves up and rejoin them. Gettin back to routine was gonna be boring as all hell.

After downin the rum she set about workin on the beer, findin some strange comfortin amusement at the makeshift glass. Actually she kinda found that same feelin comin from the whole place... which was resultin in a bit of a lackadaisical smile bein held as she watched him take the first shot and had the cue stick to her.

"Gotta be all right and honest with ya, I aint really played all that much." She'd watched often enough to know how it all worked, but the overall obvious amateur manner in which she handled the stick and set about the whole thing. "Guess there just aint a lot of time for it. Play a gig, run a few jobs, move on... Haven't gone and had any real downtime in a long while. Bog don't let me have any if he can go and manage it."

The cueball was struck, knicking the side of one of the striped ones which moved towards, but not into one of the pockets. "Least you'll go an get an easy win from me, yeah? Should I go and pony up the creds for the next round now or later?" Same lil half-amused smirk she'd given at times durin the job showed up again as she leaned the stick back at him and took another drink of the beer.

D'Kor
    "Well...I'd tell ya it ain't 'bout winning, but that'd be a lie." The dark beer was disappearing in small, though frequent, sips and he took such a sip before plucking the stick from her hands and walking one full circuit of the table. Obviously he saw something in the way everything laid on the table and he quickly set to work after mapping out a fair enough plan. Still not giving her an answer to her question he sank the stripped ball she had moved to close to a pocket to let slide. "Three parts to the game. One is taking the best shot when you see it, don't matter how cheap or easy it is."

The blond stood back and eyed the table again just to make sure before leaning down and running the que down the crook he made between his thumb and first knuckle of his first finger. After sighting down the table another stripped ball was knocked off, two more following in a similar fashion. On his fifth attempt to put one more away he had to bank the white ball off the far end of the table and try to make it connect just right with another ball to make it work, but it spun too far to the left and rolled to a irritating stop just where it had started.

Still not taking his eyes off the table he waggled one finger in her direction. "M'ere." The light hanging above the table was tapped. "If the table's square you can use the reflections as aim points." After he'd been relieved of the stick again he turned around and slouched against the table. "Line it up here," a finger pointed to one of the center most light blots on the que ball, "Then here," Another reflection pointed out on the solid blue ball, "And finally here", the far corner pocket. An unguarded smile was almost carelessly revealed. "Just like aiming down a rifle. You handled a few ah them 'afore yeh?"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast