SW-Fans.Net Poster
    Has been a member for 5 years or longer

AKA
    Nzat
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Nikita Satach Steam ID: Nzat

Closed A Taste of Forgivness

Author's Note: This is a really really really old story I never finished due to IRL conflicts with writing. I always wanted to finish it, so I've resurrected it to do just that.
    ~~~~~~

The man had been coming into the bar every night for over two months now. It was the same every night. He'd walk up to the bar sit down order a scotch and soda and ask, "Is she in tonight?"

Only to have the bartender smile, shake his head and reply, "Sorry Pops, boss hasn't made it back in from her business trip yet."

The gentleman would nod his head in acknowledgment. His steely silver blond hair catching and reflecting the lights as he moved. The blue neon back lights of the bar seemed to make the man's watery blue eyes glow. He would take a drink, then change the subject to sports, racing, politics or the price of Tibanna gas. Anything to pass the time pleasantly.

When the drink was finished, he'd place his credits on the bar and wave a friendly good bye to the staff. "See you tomorrow night Pops," someone would call out to him as he would leave the bar.

"Maybe, maybe not." he'd call back and disappear into the crowd. No one knew his name, he never offered it and the staff was in the habit of not asking questions of it's patrons. But they knew his face, knew his likes, knew his dislikes and each one fervently hoped the boss would return before the old man's ticker stopped ticking.

So this night, the first night Mu was back from her business trip, a waitress cheerfully knocked and pushed her head in through the doorway. "Hey Boss."

Mu didn't look up from her console, "Hmmm?"

"There's this real sweet old guy who's been coming in for ages looking..."

"I'm not here." Mu cut her off without looking up.

The waitress stood silent, staring at her boss. "Are you sure? He's been coming in like clockwork since you left."

Mu stopped her work and without moving her head flicked her eyes up at the young woman. "I said, I'm not here."

The waitress shifted from foot to foot, hovered, opened her mouth as if to speak then thought better of it. She pursed her lips a bit then sighed. "You're the boss, boss." She pulled the door shut behind her and walked slowly back down the corridor to the bar.

Unaffected by the exchange, Mu continued working.

Hours later, Pops strolled in as usual sat down, ordered his drink and asked "Is she in tonight?"

Word had traveled fast through the staff about Mu's reaction to the news of her visitor, the bartender sadly shook his head and quietly answered, "Sorry Pops."

Pops looked at the bartender, then glanced around the bar at the rest of the staff who avoided his gaze. Slowly he nodded his head as usual and changed the subject to the talk of the latest round of tax increases proposed by the government.

Relieved, the bartender answered and then the conversation was joined by a few patrons who got in a heated discussion on what was wrong with the galaxy and how everything was heading down the fresher in a heartbeat.

As Pops took the last swallow from his drink, the bartender called out, "See ya tomorrow night Pops?"

"No," he casually stated as he set his glass down. "I think I'll hang around a bit longer tonight." He smiled at the bartender and tapped a finger against the glass, "I'll have another if you don't mind."
    Last edited by Mu Satach; Oct 7th, 2019 at 12:57:20 PM. Reason: code clean up