TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Lilaena Steam ID: jainhollie

Closed Thread Matters of Great Importance

It was a week after the initial treaty had been struck between the Mandalorians and the people of Iziz City. Mandalore was back in the City with her honor guard, and was staying overnight once more. The details of the City's part of the bargain had to be worked out, and the Prime Minister was taking the time to sit down with the warrior woman and figure it out.

The Mandalorians were to be given access to the starport, and to offworld supplies and goods, but there were many little things that went along with those broad terms. How many Mandalorians were permitted into the City at once? How long would the initial probationary period be, and when could the Mandalorians ask to approach the bargaining table again and renegotiate for better terms? Lilaena was being pressured to get some Mandalorian warriors into the Beast Riders, though she wasn't sure how that would go over with the Queen.

She sat stiffly across the desk from Salem Ave, though the armor was comfortable enough. "If the Mandalorians are to become members of Onderon's society, then the integration process must begin somewhere. Simply giving us access to modern medicines and some non-native grains is not going to placate us for long." Us. It was strange, but she did identify a great deal with the Mandalorians. Her new people.

Lilaena raised an eyebrow. "We are warriors, and eventually we will have to fight someone again."

oh what a tangled web I weave

TheHolo.Net Poster

Has been a member for 5 years or longer
    AKA
    Jenny
    Salem Ave did not wear armor, only a pinstripe suit. His desk was in front of a large westerly-facing window and when the clouds shifted the glare of the light spilling through the glass made it somewhat difficult to see his face.

“How else would you have the Queen... placate your people? We are not unreasonable, as I am sure you are aware, and are willing to give serious consideration to your requests. ”

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

She ran her fingers through her short hair. "For one, if we are to have access to the spaceport then it stands to reason that we will have access to the City. Just how many Mandalorians do you want inside the walls at one time?

"My warriors are skilled at trapping beasts, and we can furnish your Beast Riders with new blood for their mounts." She sighed, already tired of the paperwork. Give her a blaster and a target... "There are some who wish to learn from your Riders. It would go a long way if a few warriors could be allowed to join the Beast Riders."

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Jenny
    “How many do you have under your banner? If you wish entry for any and all, then a system of citizenship must be brought into place. If your warriors would be willing to take a census of some kind, and to carry identification, then a greater number would be able to walk freely in the city,” Salem explained, then clarifying: “These are measures already in use with the general public.”

We, she said. It was intriguing how quickly she had become part of the Mandalorian culture. Whether or not her loyalty to their society would remain after he had taken her to Dxun was another matter, of course.

“As for the Beast Riders, a probationary period would – of course – be necessary. Providing this trial runs smoothly, great integration may be possible... but I cannot give you a concrete promise. The Beast Riders themselves were once at odds with our government, as I'm sure you know, so it is important that we respect their unique culture in the same fashion that you would have us respect yours.”

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

"Certainly," she agreed, inclining her head. "I will consider the idea of ident cards. I was under the impression that the Mandalorians are still second class citizens, illegal aliens of Onderon, though our culture is nearly as ingrained into the planet as is the City's. I will not have my warriors numbered and labeled just so Iziz can track our movements and abuse us."

Lilaena paused, then added, "Be that as it may, we number less than four thousand, including children. Disease and famine have kept our numbers low in the past, but you should be prepared for that to change now that the Mandalorians have access to modern medicines and imported food."

She eyed Salem and his boiled egg eyes, and something of a smile traced across her lips. "I wonder how long this peace will last."

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Jenny
    “If the Mandalorians are to be considered equals with the people of Iziz, they must be treated in the same manner – and this includes issuing ident cards. That being said, our city's economy and structure could not withstand the introduction of four thousand citizens in a single movement. Gradual integration will ensure the best results. As to the issue of peace...” Salem allowed one corner of his lips to turn upwards. “I would not be so quick to label it as such. It is a potentially volatile situation we find ourselves in, in which we both possess the power to enrich or damn the lives of those who follow us.”

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

"Call it a cease fire then." Lilaena grinned, baring her teeth. "Ideally I would be able to take all the Mandalorians off Onderon for good, and you would truly have peace. But the Queen... does not want them to leave." Oh, what she could do with a Mandalorian army at her back. The Jedi could almost feel Master A'na Eldhil smiling.

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Jenny
    “Even if you had the capacity to transport such a large number of people, where would you take them?” Salem asked. “Mandalore is under the control of the Galactic Empire. Concord Dawn is rife with the Karatos Plague. There are not many places in the galaxy that would welcome such visitors. No, they should remain here, as the Queen wishes... I have no doubts that, given time, they will grow to prosper on Onderon.”

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

"The Mandalorians have no wish to return to those planets. The only home they have had for thousands of years is Onderon, and it is their nature to want to move onward. Their culture stagnates with no new influences, though I am awakening them to their roots." A half smile, almost amused at some thought she must have had.

"If you issue ident cards to the Mandalorians, would you want all of them issued their own cards? Or merely a select few - perhaps a hundred or so to see how things go?"

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Jenny
    “Only those entering the city would be required to posses cards... in which case a hundred would be a suitable number,” Salem said. He noted her smile and wondered whether she truly was awakening something in them, or lumbering them with her own desires. “They would also have to be divided throughout the city, with a small number in each sector... to encourage integration, of course.”

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

"Of course." Lilaena was weary of politics, but certain things had to be taken care of. "They will be chosen carefully - those who need access to the spaceport to facilitate the transfer of goods back and forth to the camp."

She fell silent, and they sat in the quiet for a few moments. "I do not know how long I will stay afterwards."

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Jenny
    “Only time will tell the effect your departure will have upon the Mandalorians...” Without a Mandalore dedicated to unifying the people of Onderon, conflict could easily spread again. Salem suspected it would, regardless. It was only a matter of time.

“Onderon may have more to offer than you think.”

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Her face still held the same expression, but seemed sharper, as Lilaena became more alert. She raised an eyebrow almost lazily. "More to offer than poisonous wildlife, toxic atmosphere, and pirates just inside the system?" She smiled, almost pretty even with her scar.

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Jenny
    “Of course. There is an old Yinchorri proverb, I believe it was coined by General Dathek: 'Kith'na'nagara, kith'na'tagara'.”

Salem folded his hands together, returning her smile with a smirk. “No pain, no gain.”

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

She cocked her head to one side, replying, "Except for Dxun, I do not see what can be gained from this planet. Although you have obviously gained something from your position here."

Lilaena spread her hands, "I have gained an army, an army I am not allowed to use..." Yet. The time would come, she was sure of it.

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Jenny
    A kind of rigid certainty seemed to radiate from her. Salem did not imagine that her tenacity would be easily subdued. “What makes you so sure that the Mandalorian's will share your... goals?”

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

She shrugged, "Mandalorians serve Mandalore. I was only able to enforce this 'peace' because of promises I have made to them. They have thousands of years of warfare bred into their society, and that was before they were stranded on Dxun. If anything, this cease fire is the abberation to them, not what goals I may have for them."

Lilaena folded her arms in front of her. "I have lived through pain in this life, and have seen very little gain. This planet and its problems are merely a stepping stone for me."

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Jenny
    “I see.” Salem lowered his eyes. He inhaled slowly, deeply. “You must be careful, then, that you do not become entrenched too deeply in the planets problems. It would only take one miscalculated move for this... stepping stone to be your downfall.”

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

"Has it become yours, Mr. Ave?" she asked candidly. "Do you find yourself tied to your Queen and her petty problems of court?"

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Jenny
    “I am the Prime Minister,” Salem replied, parting his hands and spreading them with palms upturned. “This planets problems are my job.”
    Last edited by Dasquian Belargic; Jan 11th, 2007 at 08:22:07 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast